• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnlin20

Premium Subscriber
Wanted to see if anyone could or knew someone that could build a small all in one GMRS repeater. I want repeater,duplexer, power supply, tone board all in one small unit. Just plug it in attach antenna and go. I'm not one to build things myself nor do I want to spend 500 on ebay. Thanks!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's already been done.
just look at a motorola gr300 repeater.

n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Have you seen a gr300 ? It's a small desktop repeater that can be used as a temporary repeater.

n9zas

r_eugene1

Wanted to see if anyone could or knew someone that could build a small all in one GMRS repeater. I want repeater,duplexer, power supply, tone board all in one small unit. Just plug it in attach antenna and go. I'm not one to build things myself nor do I want to spend 500 on ebay. Thanks!
The GR 300 is an awesome repeater, having used mine until my license expired then moved on to cell phones. The one I still have as the power supply, transmitter, receiver and duplexer all built together. I enjoyed mine and the size is just right.

Shawnlin20

Premium Subscriber
Ok let me rephrase what I need. I need a 5-10 watt repeater that can be taken from desktop to a car. There are several cases when I will need to use it from a car. So I need it to be small and portable. Like the size of the liberty repeater just not the cost of one.

nayr

I am working on building one right now that I can unplug from home and take with me on outdoor adventures, I'll let you know how it goes.

I am shoving a TK-860 and TK-860H wired together directly (no ext tone board) into a ammo can with with the duplexer output and dc power inputs wired up to bulkhead passthroughs. I was going to mount a cheap mobile scanner inside with the receiver/transmitter and use external power, without the scanner a power supply would fit inside.

I am looking at about $250+ in parts total (not including antenna/coax), labor well.. if your not a DIYer then a $500 ebay deal dont look so bad..

I'll be happy to share the design with detailed pictures and help replicating it, but your not gona get what you want for the price your looking at unless ur willing to put some sweat into it.

-Ryan

N4KVE

Years ago a friend converted a GE Master 2 for me to be a car repeater. I only needed help to get into the repeater 25 miles away, as I could receive it just fine. So the GE would receive from my HT on a discreet freq, & TX on the input of the repeater. This way it only worked when I was talking, & did not have to rebroadcast back to my HT. This also kept battery drain to a minimum. No duplexer was needed either. It worked great, & I still have it, although I haven't used it in years as I moved. GARY N4KVE

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
There is a guy on Batlabs that built a portable repeater out of Saber radios. I think he got it to do 100% duty by adding some extra heat sinks to the tranmitter. It was very small.

nayr

yeah thats pretty much what I am doing with the TK860's, install accessory cable.. jump audio out from receiver to audio in on transceiver, then jump the TOS/COS output from the receiver to the PTT input on the transmitter.. Program the radios appropriately, hookup a tuned duplexer, antenna and enjoy.

Fundamentally its not more difficult than hooking up and programming these radios in the first place, getting it all into a nice portable size is where you need to be creative.

My repeater will typically be wired in at my house, but I will often hook it up either in my jeep or standalone at a base-camp.. Since both the jeep or camping will require some weather hardening I am using the ammo can.. i dont think it'd be too big... it'd fit on the floorboard behind the seat of most coupe's, sedans and up.

you dont need to put a AC power supply in it either if its just going into your car... leave the power supply external to save space and leave it at home.. you wont need it in your car.

The radios can be had for $60 or less
Duplexer Tuned off ebay is $80 shipped
Programing cable is $10 shipped off ebay
Accessory Cables are $15 each
Ammo can is $10 at GanderMoutain
about $250 total plus a few lil pieces

-R

W1TJM

I am using two Icom F221S radios set up for repeater use with a Celwave duplexer in a portable power supply/enclosure. A quick solder job, interconnection using the OPC cables, and some adjustments in the programming software and you're up and running pretty quickly. You could probably piece this together with equipment from the used market for around $500.00-$700. The power supply could be bypassed with power leads made up for portable/12V battery use.. The DIY Repeater link mentioned above is a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.