Good Longwave Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjxii

Taking part in the NDB group's Coordinated Listening Event for the first time, logged quite a few new ones including four from Canada down here in southwest Florida (one from British Columbia). More north of the border than in-state beacons. Thankfully I remembered that the CRF-1 has a pretty good noise blanker, I had given up beacon hunting out of frustration, the DX-1000 was barely effective.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Heard YWA, Petawawa, Ontario on Friday night, just below the AM broadcast band on 516 kHz. Also heard Radio Reloj (Radio Clock) on the AM broadcast band that night, which sends "RR" using Morse code on the minute.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Still haven't heard any hams on LF yet. Anyone hear "lowfers" or are they all gone?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've run WSPR (using WSJT-X) at 474.2 kHz on the 630 meter band. I had my IC-7600 connected to an 80 meter inverted vee..

After leaving it on all night, I managed to log about 8 stations spread fairly evenly across the US and Canada.

Still have to try it on the 2200 meter band at 136 kHz. (But I don't know if my 80 meter Vee will cut it).

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Canada was very prevalent this morning on LW. Starting at 11:40 UTC - 12:00 UTC the following beacons were heard from 315 kHz - 516 kHz: ZMX, VV, YFM, ZEM, YKQ, SB, YMW, ZYZ, 2Q, YRR, RJ, YPL, ML, ZBA, YTA, YWA. Most are from Ontario and Quebec. Usually don't DX on LW in the early morning, mostly do it at night but have to change my hours to early morning. Rig = Yaesu FRG-100, Ant. = W6LVP loop.

WA8ZTZ

Don't recognize that ZBA... could be a new one ?
There is a 397 ZHA Hamilton ON which usually puts in a good signal here
but have never heard ZBA.
Maybe you found a new one, do you remember the frequency ?
The very early morning seems best for LW.
Anyway, nice collection of sigs for only 20 minutes of listening. :)

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Thanks OM, my error, you are correct, it is ZHA on 397 kHz, sorry about that.

Later in the morning 20m was open to Europe, best conditions I've heard in a long time, I guess those two new sunspots might have made a difference. I was working QRP and made no contacts though hi hi.

WA8ZTZ

Oh well... had me all excited there for a moment, thought you had found a new one.
With all the decommissioning going on a new one would be nice.
In fact, VV is scheduled to go away in March. Of the others on your list, looks like only YKQ, RJ, and YPL
will eventually be spared. Log them while you can.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
What a difference a day makes, today from 1201 - 1213 UTC heard YMW, CAT, NEL. CAT and NEL are NJ locals. Haven't heard TT from Mercer County Airport in a few years, it was strong here all the time. Same with JF from Kennedy Airport, that's been gone quite a while. Must have been decommissioned like many other US NDB's.

DGPS still being heard, these are on the chopping block last I read. When they are gone it might enable us to hear whatever remaining marine NDB's are left. I can remember some that had voice b'casts in AM mode hi hi.

This morning on 474 kHz heard a digital tone transmission, probably from a ham station. Am not up to speed as to what modes hams are using on this band.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
WSPR, FT8 and JT9 are popular on 630 meters (472–479 kHz) .. You hear these digital modes at 474.2 Khz and above.

This band is actually pretty busy. I've been a listener for a while now on 630 meters using a Wellbrook loop. With WSJT-X sound card software, I've picked up WSPR beacons from all over the US and Canada and as far away as England and Hawaii. (I'm in Manitoba Canada).

Can't get on the air yet because I don't have an decent transmitting antenna and I have no transmitting gear. I'm looking forward to picking up a transverter and building a decent antenna when summer comes.

Edit.. I fired up the software and started monitoring the band as I was typing out this reply.. Didn't expect much because the sun is up. But, I just picked up W7XU's 5 Watt WSPR beacon in South Dakota.. (464 miles)..

Last edited:

pjxii

Canada was very prevalent this morning on LW. Starting at 11:40 UTC - 12:00 UTC the following beacons were heard from 315 kHz - 516 kHz: ZMX, VV, YFM, ZEM, YKQ, SB, YMW, ZYZ, 2Q, YRR, RJ, YPL, ML, ZBA, YTA, YWA. Most are from Ontario and Quebec. Usually don't DX on LW in the early morning, mostly do it at night but have to change my hours to early morning. Rig = Yaesu FRG-100, Ant. = W6LVP loop.

Good to read that your FRG-100 works well for NDB hunting! Do you have an optional narrow filter in the CW slot or are you using the stock SSB filter? I have an old stock FRG-100 still factory sealed (the CRF-1 is great on LW so I haven't been in any hurry to open it) but did pick up an Inrad 1000 herz filter for NDBs when I get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.