GPS Antenna Splitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryansinha

Hello everyone ,

I have a quick question with GPS Antenna splitters.

I have a GPS Receiver with 1.5 meters accuracy (u-blox M8L) installed with its antenna.

I have a second GPS Receiver (RTK enabled) which is cm-level accuracy one.

Now Instead of keeping two different antennas on my system , i would like to buy a GPS Antenna splitter and use it to split the GPS signal and feed into my two GPS Receivers.

I have googled it and found lot of GPS antenna splitters and was confused about the selection criteria.

Can you please provide me some ideas on selecting a good GPS splitter which would satisfy the needs of both GPS Receivers.

Any kind of suggestions are welcome. and please do let me know if you have any questions about the specifications of GPS receivers or if you feel I haven't provided much information ..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
An antenna is an antenna, in general terms. It receives an RF signal and sends it down the coaxial cable to the receiver. The magic is where the receiver comes into play.
The accuracy of the GPS position is a product of the receiver, not the antenna (again, in general terms).

What you need to look at:
Most GPS antennas require a voltage sent up from the receiver to power the internal amplifier. This is commonly 5 volts DC.

If you are going to be using a splitter, you need to make sure it's set up to have a receiver port that will take power and send it up to the antenna, while blocking the dc power on the other receiver port.

byndhlptom

GPS

If both units are using the same baud rate for outputs, it might be simpler to just run one GPS and "parallel" the serial output to both end users.... most serial port TX can drive two RX (inputs) with no problem. If the baud rates are different, then no go.....

$.02

aryansinha

Thanks for the clarification . To sum up what you have said , " Most GPS Antennas require a power source to function."

Current scenario.

GPS Antenna is on car roof connected to a GPS Receiver (Working perfectly.)

I didn't get the part of blocking DC power on another port... ?????/

for Example:

GPS Active splitter (58535A) is 1:2 splitter which has three ports.

one is input and two are outputs. I would just connect the cable and two other ports to two GPS Rx..

aryansinha

I cannot do that as one GPS Receiver is capable of giving meter level accuracy (cheaper one) and second receiver is cm-level accuracy (costlier one ,typically 10's of thousands $)... I was thinking to use a splitter to feed the same GPS signal into cheaper one... to reduce the installation of second antenna on my car rrof

Status
Not open for further replies.