SDS200: GPS Port

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've got an SDS200 connected to the square-ish GPS puck. In my vehicle the puck is mounted on the windshield with the cable working its way down the "A" pillar, "here and there" to where the scanner is mounted inside my F150 console.

I'm convinced the phone cable is broken somewhere as location information doesn't appear to be updating.

Is the GPS port on the back of the scanner the only port for GPS or is there a magic way the front network port could be used?

Removing and re-mounting the scanner from the scanner is not a very appealing project.

Thanks!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
The only GPS port is the RJ-11/14 on the back.

Did it work before and stopped working?
Do you have the radio's display customized to see the lat/long (and that isn't updating)?
Does the GPS icon show in the display?
What is your baud rate set at?

BTW... the Uniden GPS puck is not the greatest when it comes to sensitivity.
I have a couple of them and they will loose a GPS lock when other GPS devices still are locked.

Also, you said "mounted on the windshield".
You didn't by chance use the sticky tape and glue that side of the puck to the windshield?
I ask because the actual antenna in the puck is on the other side and that is the side that needs to be pointed at the sky.

tvengr

Well Known Member
On your scanner: MENU > Scroll to Set Your Location > Press E > Scroll to Set Up GPS > Press E > Scroll to Set Serial Port > Press E > Scroll to 9600 bps > Press E > Press AVOID to exit menus. In the Sentinel Profile Editor, go to the Location Settings tab. Set Baud Rate to 9600bps.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Adding to what nessnet wrote, agreeing on all points as to HOW & WHERE to mount the GPS puck… if you routed the pucks wiring down the A column, it means you mounted the puck high on the windshield where the roofline would get in the way of the line-of-sight needed by the puck. The idea is to allow for as much amount of line-of-sight in all directions. And that is usually accomplished by mounting the puck to the dashboard. (I also have a F-150. A 2021. I mounted the SDS200 to an aftermarket bracket from BuiltRight Industries. It sits in the glove tray atop the dash. I originally mounted the GPS puck as far forward on the dash as possible but relocated it further back, behind the defrost vents as it was blocking them.)

Sorry to hear you went to all the bother of routing the GPS pick up the A column (I know you still needed to get to the dash but you didn’t need to continue to the topside of the windshield via the A column. I found the only device I needed to route wiring for the top side of the windshield is a dash cam. I wanted as much height without going outside! I suppose I could have used a GoPro but then I’d have to defrost it in the colder months!) My previous F-150 had a radio counsel between the seats where I had ham radios and the SDS200. It was a bear to break down everything when I traded the truck in. This 2021 install version touts cigarette lighter plugs and USB outlets for power sources. And all associated wiring (power, antenna, ext speaker) is simply contained in that flexible split plastic tubing to keep things neat. The entire interior can be transformed back to stock in a matter of minutes. The outside antennas with their electric motor driven fold over capabilities will take longer but at least I won’t need to be underneath the dash in a contorted fashion anymore. It’s not as easy these days at 74 yrs young!

Pictures of installations are common so I haven’t bothered to include one here. But if you are curious I will.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have had good luck with GPS receivers mounting them inside my plastic dashboard under the windshield. They have a clear view looking upward. My present vehicle has a plastic tray which snaps out in the middle of the top of the dashboard giving me easy access.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes it was working properly for three years. The tests described above were my clues that the “message” wasn’t getting from puck to scanner.

So it’s either the wire was broken or the puck went bad. Cheaper to replace cable than buy a new puck.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Yes it was working properly for three years. The tests described above were my clues that the “message” wasn’t getting from puck to scanner.

So it’s either the wire was broken or the puck went bad. Cheaper to replace cable than buy a new puck.

If you replace the cable make sure it's 4-wire and the same wiring as the original (minus the broken wire if that is the issue)

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
If you replace the cable make sure it's 4-wire and the same wiring as the original (minus the broken wire if that is the issue)

If you make the effort to pull the A pillar and replace the cable, remount it on the dash somewhere (not the upper windshield).
I'd also test everything BEFORE you remount anything.

If you find you need to replace the puck - PM me - I have a spare I'll sell you.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Cheaper to replace cable than buy a new puck.
Be sure it's a 4-wire reverse (crossover) cable. If you take out your old one before you buy a new one, compare the ends. This is the cable from my SDS200 puck:

mod.jpg
With both ends of the cable facing you and the locking clips facing up, this is the wiring pattern that's needed.

Last edited:

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Try cleaning the cable contacts, simply plugging and unplugging the cable several times may be enough to help.