BCD436HP/BCD536HP: GPS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmh603

OK I got the GPS Antenna stuff figured out. But now I have some questions. In my Favorites list, I have selected our States P25 Type1 system. In that selection, there are about 100 Antenna Sites. I have selected about 10 Antenna Sites about a 30 mile radius around my house. I have those antenna sites in my Favorites List as Quick Key 1. All other 90+ Antenna Sites I have selected those as None. My BCD436HP still scan those site that are not in my favorites list Quick Key selections, it takes about 3 to 4 minutes to scan them all and I see the S-Meter rates each signal on those 90+ sites that I have selected as None. So one question would be, When I GPS in the State, those sites which become within the miles selected on those sites will populate? and another thought was what happens if I select AVOID for those 90+ Antenna Sites ( which would save me about 3 to 4 minutes of scanning time) would those sits still populate as I drive through those cities? I am trying to save minutes off of a scan on sites I don't or will not receive? Any thoughts?

Thanks

nbdyspclk

Put range at oo.o when your GPS puck is attached,as you travel the puck will pick up towns as you go

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
If you're using GPS, you should not need to mess with quick keys or avoids....or need to pick and choose system sites... the radio (GPS) should do that for you.

My usage:

After experimentation, I typically create a favorites list that only includes the things I want to listen to on a drive (this is usually limited to public safety systems along the way); that is, I do not use the full library (too much "junk" - particularly conventional channels).

Make sure Location control is set to Yes for that favorites list.

For large (i.e. statewide) systems, I load the entire system and all sites. Again, the GPS-enabled radio will decide what to enable and disable based on your location and the RRDB data (assuming it is correct).

For my "road trip" programming, I do not set any quick keys or set any avoids (although I might turn off certain "Service Types" like Corrections, Utilities, etc.).

Generally, I set/use a range of 0.0

When you enable only this specific favorites list and then plug in the GPS, the radio will select systems, sites, and departments that are range based on your location and the location data that has been submitted and/or assigned to these systems, sites, and departments.

If you look closely, you may find that you may not like the values that have been assigned for location and range for some things. On my early usage, I found out the hard way that the location and range data for many things in my area was just flat bad or even wrong (location off, range too small, no location data at all, etc.). I spent alot of time submitting corrections for things in my area. However, for my drives, I'm relying on locals in the areas I travel through to make this data correct.

This is my experience and the way I set things up that is to my liking. You obviously can/will set things to your preferences.

Last edited:

fenderblue

It took me awhile figure how to program to not have any junk. I have a question, when you have the range set to 00. How far will a favorites be enabled?

troymail

Silent Key
Each system/site/department location generally is represented by a circle (point and radius). It could also be represented by a rectangle if someone went to that level of detail.

At range of 0.0, you have to be inside a circle to receive that system/site/department.

If you set your range to 5.0, you'll receive things in a given circle when you're within 5 miles of the circle.

phask

Premium Subscriber
First question what system and where are you?
State's location (site) data may be incorrect.

2 - Do you location enabled on your favorite ?

3rd - read this
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Actually read and understand that before you ever start guessing how range & location work

OK I got the GPS Antenna stuff figured out. But now I have some questions. In my Favorites list, I have selected our States P25 Type1 system. In that selection, there are about 100 Antenna Sites. I have selected about 10 Antenna Sites about a 30 mile radius around my house. I have those antenna sites in my Favorites List as Quick Key 1. All other 90+ Antenna Sites I have selected those as None. My BCD436HP still scan those site that are not in my favorites list Quick Key selections, it takes about 3 to 4 minutes to scan them all and I see the S-Meter rates each signal on those 90+ sites that I have selected as None. So one question would be, When I GPS in the State, those sites which become within the miles selected on those sites will populate? and another thought was what happens if I select AVOID for those 90+ Antenna Sites ( which would save me about 3 to 4 minutes of scanning time) would those sits still populate as I drive through those cities? I am trying to save minutes off of a scan on sites I don't or will not receive? Any thoughts?

Thanks

kmh603

The System I want to listen to is MPSCS or Michigan Type 1 P25 System, live near Grand Rapids.

When Traveling, I will set location to YES

I read your link to Home patrol GPS, but it did not answer the avoid question on sites or the setting of NONE on sites?

Thanks

phask

Premium Subscriber
The System I want to listen to is MPSCS or Michigan Type 1 P25 System, live near Grand Rapids.

When Traveling, I will set location to YES

I read your link to Home patrol GPS, but it did not answer the avoid question on sites or the setting of NONE on sites?

Thanks

If you are using it in a fixed location and location = off, avoid every unneeded site.

From the sound of it - you need a favorite for mobile and one for fixed.

Edit - MPSCS looks to have OK location data for sites

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?rpt=7&sid=100

Nothing excessive - although I'd avoid the mobile (site on wheels) site, unless you know they are using it somewhere.

There still might be some systems that are incorrect.

Last edited:

kmh603

There you go! One system for Fixed and one system for Mobile. I will create two favorites list and I should be good to go!

Thank You :>)

phask

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - in Ohio very similar system. I keep one in the car all the time. Around town I have a setup similar to fixed. 1 site, plus the locals.

In the area I frequent out of town II have a custom list with GPS on - around 1/4 of the state.

Beyond that I just use the entire DB.

There you go! One system for Fixed and one system for Mobile. I will create two favorites list and I should be good to go!

fenderblue

x36 GPS

I am having using 2 computer to program either fixed or a mobile w/GPS because of the site locations as you travel will enable etc. Now as I read this post----I didn't you could have different favorites? How does a person that with out messing things up as I can do

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If it was me, I'd have just one Favorites List/System rather than two (one mobile and the other fixed).

While the "Two" method is certainly "do-able" as there is ample memory in the scanner, maintaining two more or less identical things can be time consuming. Any changes have to be done twice.

What I'd suggest doing is assign those "fixed" or home area sites to one Department Quick Key (DQK Z) and then assign the other sites to another Department Quick Key (DQK Y).

When you are at home, toggle DQK Y Off so the remote sites are not "scanned". When you travel, toggle DQK Y On so they are "scanned", becoming active only when in Range as determined by GPS.

ol-redneck

Premium Subscriber
Database?

D
If you're using GPS, you should not need to mess with quick keys or avoids....or need to pick and choose system sites... the radio (GPS) should do that for you.

My usage:

After experimentation, I typically create a favorites list that only includes the things I want to listen to on a drive (this is usually limited to public safety systems along the way); that is, I do not use the full library (too much "junk" - particularly conventional channels).

Make sure Location control is set to Yes for that favorites list.

For large (i.e. statewide) systems, I load the entire system and all sites. Again, the GPS-enabled radio will decide what to enable and disable based on your location and the RRDB data (assuming it is correct).

For my "road trip" programming, I do not set any quick keys or set any avoids (although I might turn off certain "Service Types" like Corrections, Utilities, etc.).

Generally, I set/use a range of 0.0

When you enable only this specific favorites list and then plug in the GPS, the radio will select systems, sites, and departments that are range based on your location and the location data that has been submitted and/or assigned to these systems, sites, and departments.

If you look closely, you may find that you may not like the values that have been assigned for location and range for some things. On my early usage, I found out the hard way that the location and range data for many things in my area was just flat bad or even wrong (location off, range too small, no location data at all, etc.). I spent alot of time submitting corrections for things in my area. However, for my drives, I'm relying on locals in the areas I travel through to make this data correct.

This is my experience and the way I set things up that is to my liking. You obviously can/will set things to your preferences.

It's been a while since I set my 436 up & am now adding a GPS... Would it be practical/possible to load the whole US database so as to cover anywhere I might travel?

Please forgive if 'dumb' question..

troymail

Silent Key
D

It's been a while since I set my 436 up & am now adding a GPS... Would it be practical/possible to load the whole US database so as to cover anywhere I might travel?

Please forgive if 'dumb' question..

That's a place to start -- the GPS will load/unload based on your location. However, a couple of things to consider:

• range - I think the default is 20 miles - depending upon your location, the radio could be spending alot of time trying to cycle through everything within 20 miles - consider a smaller range setting
  • service types - disable types you don't care about to speed things up
  • RRDB location data - imperfect - you'll probably hear lots of stuff but may not hear everything you think you should hear
  • for best results, you may want to consider building (or reusing) favorites lists that include only what you what to monitor (vs. full database) in conjunction with the GPS; just be sure to ensure location control on the favorites list(s); I typically do this prior to heading out of a road trip but it may not be practical for cross-country travel and/or travel that takes you to random places

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Scanning from the main database with GPS is the only practical option on long road trips, especially if your route is not precisely known in advance. Favorite Lists can be better tweaked to your preference, but are limited regarding how much stuff they can hold. You can get a few counties in a favorite list, but generally not an entire state, unless it is small or sparsely populated.

The data is mostly correct, but don't be surprised if you find an error or two. Corrections are always welcome.

I wouldn't recommend setting range more than5 miles.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That's how I do it. About a week before I leave, I'll use Sentinel to update the master database (Update>Update Master HPDB) then I'll edit my Profile to check the "Monitor Full Database" box in the Scan Selection tab. Then I'll do a write to scanner so the updates and changes are made.

I also have a programmed spare SD card, just in case.

Range values are personal preference. Some advocate lower range to avoid hearing too far away and thus missing something closer. Others like higher range so you can hear about a problem before you get there. Best thing is to experiment and see what you like.

Last thing to remember. The RR database has a lot of frequencies in it, including NXDN, ProVoice, DMR that your scanner may not decode. When the scanner lands on such frequencies you hear an awful noise. So be sure your avoid button is close.

ol-redneck

Premium Subscriber
That's a place to start -- the GPS will load/unload based on your location. However, a couple of things to consider:

• range - I think the default is 20 miles - depending upon your location, the radio could be spending alot of time trying to cycle through everything within 20 miles - consider a smaller range setting
  • service types - disable types you don't care about to speed things up
  • RRDB location data - imperfect - you'll probably hear lots of stuff but may not hear everything you think you should hear
  • for best results, you may want to consider building (or reusing) favorites lists that include only what you what to monitor (vs. full database) in conjunction with the GPS; just be sure to ensure location control on the favorites list(s); I typically do this prior to heading out of a road trip but it may not be practical for cross-country travel and/or travel that takes you to random places

OK.. Thanks.. I'm thinking your 'Range=0.0' setting was what I'd do..

troymail

Silent Key
OK.. Thanks.. I'm thinking your 'Range=0.0' setting was what I'd do..

Yeah - it depends.... keep in mind that the selected "radio range" has to fall inside/overlap RRDB location circles ("site range") for both trunk system sites -and- the department "range" in those systems for the radio to scan channels/sites/departments.

A "site" might have a range of 25 miles while "departments" might be as small as 1/2 mile and up to hundreds of miles.

Still, if you set your range too large, it could take so long for the radio to cycle through all of the programming you might not hear much of anything - at least, not in any consistent fashion.

ol-redneck

Premium Subscriber
Yeah - it depends.... keep in mind that the selected "radio range" has to fall inside/overlap RRDB location circles ("site range") for both trunk system sites -and- the department "range" in those systems for the radio to scan channels/sites/departments.

A "site" might have a range of 25 miles while "departments" might be as small as 1/2 mile and up to hundreds of miles.

Still, if you set your range too large, it could take so long for the radio to cycle through all of the programming you might not hear much of anything - at least, not in any consistent fashion.

Do appreciate the tips!

I've got the parts ordered for the GPS puck over on
https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/307752-gps-cable-mod-uniden-scanners.html

Hope it works..

Status
Not open for further replies.