• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GR500 & Zetron Controller HELP NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kb0nly

Ok, i am at my wits end here after four hours of troubleshooting...

So i have a GR500 repeater with a Zetron 48jr controller.

I checked the repeater for operation, everything working good. Reprogrammed the radios to new frequencies, again everything perfect. Controller had the ID of old owner in it, went to change it, access denied. The previous owner put in a different access code from the stock 12948 so i couldn't access it.

Read through the manual, did the reset procedure holding the Connect button, everything looked fine, but now it won't repeat. When it receives the carrier light comes on, but not the transmit. Checked everything, even plugged a mic into the transmit radio to double check it, though nothing had moved i just did a controller reset.

It ignores the access code. It ignores everything i have tried, different PL's etc. The manual says for initial programming a radio transmitting PL or DCS must be used to access the controller, ok i did that, with three different radios even to see if it was a bad DTMF decode level or something simple, nope. It won't do nothing, just ignores any signals coming in, though the carrier light comes on.

So other than scrapping out the controller and putting in something that actually works anyone know what the heck happened here? I tried resetting it another half dozen times, every time the light activity on the front is exactly what it should be, so its resetting fine but it will not repeat or program now.

Tried Zetron for help, no email address on their website, to call them you need a service contract, they are literally unhelpful at best.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I've messed with some model 30's lately but it's been a while since I've looked at a 48 or 48jr.

So you did the big reset. Its now at factory default and its not going to do anything really until you get at least one user set up and the repeat function turned on.

Have you tried programming by the phone? I find it a little easier to do but it is quirky to get the program password in. When you call into it, it will either ring ring ring or answer and be silent. You have to wait until you hear the double beep to enter the password. Don't get disgusted and hang up, wait patiently and you WILL get the double beeps. A successful password entry will return 5 quick beeps and then you're in.

Here's a problem I have with the model 30 programming by radio. When you send the password over the air the interconnect IMMEDIATELY responds with the 5 beeps. Now if your DTMF pad has a timer that holds the radio in transmit for a couple of seconds, you miss hearing the 5 beeps although you are in program mode. Kinda a flaw there, it won't wait for the carrier to drop.

Also double check that you are giving it nice flat discriminator audio (Zetron says down to 10Hz). If it was previously set for carrier repeat it would work regardless whether it was decoding PL/DPL and the reset disabled carrier repeat. As you mentioned, it does require a PL/DPL to program it so you may have to scope the receive line and make sure it's getting there. You can also meter the data valid line on the DTMF decoder to see if it responding to your digits.

If PL and DTMF are both good, then it just oughta go into program mode from the radio with the default password. Good luck.

K

kb0nly

Thought about the phone programming... I don't have a landline based phone or access to one. So no chance of doing that.

I think your right that the reset disabled carrier repeat, but i can't get in to change it.

The radios are as setup from the dealer. Flat discriminator audio from the receive radio to the controller, but still no repeat. I tried setting JU551 in the receive radio to the other position, flat and unmuted, that didn't work either.

I don't have a scope so i can't check it that way.

I hooked up a VHF Maxtrac that i know is good, its a spare radio i keep on hand, again i set the jumper for flat audio and its discriminator audio to the controller, but yet nothing!

Thinking a hammer to fix the old controller and replace it... LOL

K

kb0nly

Any way to trick it to pick up on the phone line and connect an old phone to it? I don't even have an old phone around here but could scrounge one up.

K

kb0nly

I should also mention, it never transmits, so its not that i am missing the reply from the controller, watching both the transmit radio, listening on another receiver, and a wattmeter inline with the dummy load i never see it transmit.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I believe a 48 will take a local phone, the DAPT series certainly will, but the JR lacks that feature. You could jury-rig and old phone but you'll need to supply battery and ringing voltage. I have one of these:
Viking DLE-200B Two Way Phone Line Simulator - dle200B - VikingProductStore.com
but they are pricey for just doing that. Unless you go on a road trip where you could borrow someones POTS, I wouldn't worry about that for now.

Have you tried measuring the receive level at TP-1? It can be set with a DTMF tone and a voltmeter. Too much or too little will make the decoder buckle under and not decode.

Last edited:
K

kb0nly

The receive level is fine.. It's not like this repeater is new, its been in 24/7 operation for years and was fine until i had to reset the controller due to an unknown access password.

I went through the manual, checked the levels, ran the controller tests, it will transmit the 1khz tone, it will repeat when in the test mode, but after exiting the tests its back to ignoring any incoming signals.

I know your right about the carrier mode needing to be set... But let me ask you this. With the controller set to external PL and providing a high going signal to Pin 9 which is the external decode indication and the jumpers set shouldn't it still respond to receiving a signal?

I don't understand why the idiots at Zetron made it a requirement for the controller to hear a PL on the rx audio input and decode it internally to get access to it for programming, just totally stupid.

cmdrwill

Scott,

Did you check the Dallas Semi battery back-up module? internal battery probably FAILED. Common problem.

K

kb0nly

Scott,

Did you check the Dallas Semi battery back-up module? internal battery probably FAILED. Common problem.

Everything was fine, just had to call into it with a phone line simulator to get it working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.