Green Horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone,

I am not just a newb but completely green to this hobby. I got hooked about 15 years ago when my landlord lent his portable handheld scanner, I knew nothing about, not how to program it, all I knew to do was to turn it on, and I sat for hours on end listening to all the different channels coming in but then he wanted it back, lol.

I'm just wanting to get started with another portable handheld and have been looking for the last couple of years at the Uniden line up and I think I'd finally like to buy on and not break the bank. Really just for something to pass the time while I sit down at the water front. I'm liking the new Uniden BC125AT and think it would be a great entry level unit to learn on, what do you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

I should add I live in SW Ontario, Belle River and I have no idea what kind of chatter is out there, sorry. I guess down at the Detroit River might be interesting to see what can be picked up across the pond.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Most importantly you have to determine the radio system types in Ontario http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=109 and Wayne County, MI http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1308 that the higher-end models of Uniden and GRE (who also make the Radio Shack) should do the job. You might read the Regional Radio Forums for Ontario and Michigan. Background information is in the Wiki Main Page - The RadioReference Wiki, The more you read, the better you will be informed and ask better-formulated questions. HTH.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference LostnFound,this is the place for all things radio and radio related.

Also a friendly note,it would help if you set the location to the area you live.It helps people help you when you ask for freq advice and questions pertaining to your area and etc.

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the tips, I have been trying to scour those areas of the site and have to admit its quite overwhelming, it such a specialized hobby, and so many areas and to be honest a bit confusing trying to understand the terminology.

But ill keep reading, thanks.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the tips, I have been trying to scour those areas of the site and have to admit its quite overwhelming, it such a specialized hobby, and so many areas and to be honest a bit confusing trying to understand the terminology.

But ill keep reading, thanks.

It will get to be easy,and a normal thing if you stick with it.So keep on learning!

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
Well I've been doing quite a bit of research and I don't think I am going to waste any money on an analog only unit. I'm going to try and find a lightly used Pro-106, can't really afford anything over $250 right now.

w2xq

Mentor
Probably a good decision.

Re your budget (and I understand the economy is the pits), just be aware that you may incur additional expenses if you opt for programming software, a cable and RR membership that enables downloading of data files into the scanner.

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
So after a ton of reading, I had decided on either a GRE PSR-800 or Uniden 996, and quickly realized they were so far out of my budget I knew it wold not be soon to get one. Further looking around I stumbled onto the Radio Shack Pro-18, very similar to the 800, not as many neat features but it is digital however, even more expensive. By accident I found a brand new one, and was able to make a deal that was right on my budget, the only extra I'm going to get is a Diamond antenna, either the RH789 or 77CA, undecided.

So hopefully I have made a good decision based on my budget and what I have learned.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi LostnFound. Welcome to RR. Glad to have you aboard.

Hope you're happy with your new scanner; I'm sure you will have many happy hours with it.

Russell

pathalogical

Welcome to RR !

Windsor Police has gone encrypted, no scanner will help you there. However the OPP is not and for them you will need a digital scanner. They are on the Bell Fleetnet Zone 1 along with many EMS services. Todays newer scanners are time consuming to program by hand and the use of software is highly recommended.

Just reading your last post, you say you found one ? What did you get ?

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a Diamond RH519 to go along with the Pro-18 for now. Going to go find a good deal on some rechargeable Durecells today. I'm hoping it all arrives by next weekend. I never knew about the Live Audio here, man I've been up since 6 listening to Chicago Police channel, so interesting, I'm running Airplay to my AppleTV to hear it throughout my home, awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.