BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Greene County, Ohio. Can't hear anything using a bcd996p2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike, I just drove out with my SDS100 and Unication G4, I only had to drive a mile or two from my south Montgomery Co house and I could pick up 20152 Fairborn Police Dispatch, so we know it it's correct and in the clear. I looked at your file again and compared it to a freshly imported setup from RR. I noticed that your Site Type wasn't set the same. Give this a shot:

1) Go to your "[MOT2] OhioMARCSIP:Mult" level and change Type to Mot Type II/P25 and ignore any warnings you get.
2) Then under that one, go to "[M82S] Greene Co Simul" and change Site Type to Mot P25/P25 Standard

Look at the attachments to help with this.

Does that do the trick? Fingers crossed!

Bruce

Edit: as always, change your filenames when you make changes so that you never loose any settings you had before. You could just add "A" or "B" or whatever.
P25 (Digital XT) is the correct system type to use for one of the P2 scanners. Don't change the site or system type.

Mot Type II/P25 was the correct system type to use for the original 396T. Beginning with the 396XT, and the P2 series scanners (996P2 & 325P2), you need to use the P25 (Digital XT) type.

FreeSCAN still imports these as Mot Type II/P25, but that's incorrect for the XT & P2 scanners.

Thanks everyone for listening and helping out a fellow radio enthusiast. I’m surely hoping to figure this one out…Do I need to upgrade the system? With one of the $75 updates? I do what it takes. I use a scanner as a ears to the ground with all of my family out there. Helps me sleep better knowing everyone is safe…lol
Greatly appreciated to all in this thread.
Mike
There's no upgrade that you need to add. The "$75 upgrade" (that's what many of the dealers charge, but direct from Uniden it's $60) would be for DMR. The dealer may charge $75 as well for the ProVoice and NXDN upgrades, but these are about $50 each direct from Uniden. And neither of these would help for MARCS.

The system you are dealing with is P25, not DMR or one of the other types. The scanner is capable of handling P25 systems out of the box, no upgrades needed.

Your most likely issue is Simulcast. As I wrote in Post 3 above, and others have mentioned, there are limited paths to deal with Simulcast. One of them may work for some people, but for others, there's really nothing you can do. As also noted, simulcast is extremely location specific. Moving the scanner around in your house, you can occasionally find a 'sweet spot' that works. But that's a shot in the dark.

Try a stubby antenna like what wtp posted. Or collapse the extendable antenna that came with the scanner, and/or maybe lay it flat instead of vertical. Franky, looking at Fairborn's location relative to the sites, I'd try the proverbial baking plan or cookie sheet placed long the side of the scanner that faces south, That would block out the two sites a short distance south of you, as well as three more further to your south. Blocking off that side might make enough of a difference that the site to your east, slightly below Yellow Springs on the map I posted, can come in strong enough to mitigate the problem.

The final confirmation (though not workable at home) would be to set the scanner in your car or truck, running it off the DC power cables that came with it. Drive very close to one of the sites, by close, I mean something in the quarter mile range if possible. If your scanner then works with the strong signal from that one site overriding the others, then you've confirmed the issue is simulcast, not something with your scanner. There's no way to 'program out' simulcast. All of the transmit sites carry the exact same radio traffic, on the same frequency, at the same tome, as all of the other transmitters.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I have one of those somewhere>>>lol Got it with a race scanner I'll try to find it Thanks Mike

If you can't find your stubby you might try a paper clip in the center of the connector or even no antenna at all. I have a 396XT that receives my local simulcast system just fine with no antenna at all.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a Greene County FreeSCAN file for you to try. The second PDF file will answer all of your questions about using quick keys. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Highlight Erase All Systems & Settings. Click on Start Upload. Quick keys as follows:

SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
1. MARCS Greene Co (Site)
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. GrnCo Pub Works
2. GrnCo Interop
3. GrnCo Emerg Ops
4. GrnCo Fire
5. GrnCo EMS/Hosp
6. GrnCo Law
7. OH St Hwy Patrol

Attachments

• Greene Co OH FS.zip