Hello,
I've been reading a bit about grounding antennas and equipment. Not sure i understand all of it. In a few weeks (when it finally gets warmer) i will be installing a brand new Comet GP-3 antenna (2 meter/70 Cm). I will probably be using a piece of 2 inches PVC pipe as a mast and the mast will be attached to the upper part of a brick chimney. The chimney is directly attached to my house. The feedline will be 75 feet of LMR400. I have a couple of questions.
1- Since the mast is non conductive i assume there is no reason to ground it ?
2- It is my understanding that the coax (braid) should be grounded at the point where it enters the house and an 8-10 feet ground rod should be used. Because of the type of soil i have (lots of rocks) i don't think it will be possible to use such a long ground rod what is the impact of using shorter rods ?
3- I have read that the ground rod used for the coax (and the one used for the mast if any)should be bound to the main electric service ground. I have no clue where that ground is, what happens if the ground rod is not bound to the main electric service ground ?
4- As far as the radios are concerned, the ground posts of my 2 radios are attached together to the cold water pipe. Is this sufficient ?
Thanks
73
VA2FCS
I've been reading a bit about grounding antennas and equipment. Not sure i understand all of it. In a few weeks (when it finally gets warmer) i will be installing a brand new Comet GP-3 antenna (2 meter/70 Cm). I will probably be using a piece of 2 inches PVC pipe as a mast and the mast will be attached to the upper part of a brick chimney. The chimney is directly attached to my house. The feedline will be 75 feet of LMR400. I have a couple of questions.
1- Since the mast is non conductive i assume there is no reason to ground it ?
2- It is my understanding that the coax (braid) should be grounded at the point where it enters the house and an 8-10 feet ground rod should be used. Because of the type of soil i have (lots of rocks) i don't think it will be possible to use such a long ground rod what is the impact of using shorter rods ?
3- I have read that the ground rod used for the coax (and the one used for the mast if any)should be bound to the main electric service ground. I have no clue where that ground is, what happens if the ground rod is not bound to the main electric service ground ?
4- As far as the radios are concerned, the ground posts of my 2 radios are attached together to the cold water pipe. Is this sufficient ?
Thanks
73
VA2FCS