Grundig Satellit 750 desktop portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

TammieM3ENF

I'm seriously looking at this radio. I've read so many reviews good and bad, unfortunately it's about 50/50. I can't really see any other radio available here in the UK in that price range either.

Should I take a chance or look at something else?

bobk9eui

I would give it a plus for a good general coverage receiver for casual listening. Right now my only complaint is some distortion on strong SSB signals, but it is liveable.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I'm seriously looking at this radio. I've read so many reviews good and bad, unfortunately it's about 50/50. I can't really see any other radio available here in the UK in that price range either.

I used one for a year or so. In my experience it is badly over priced and it's performance is mediocre. I bought it on the theory that it looked so professional that it must be good! In retrospect that was not a very good idea.

JustLou

I've had one of the newer generation 750's with the improved metal knobs, antenna, and quality control for a year or so, and I'm happy with it. It's by no means as good as my HF equipment, but works well for listening to shortwave and ham bands. The only thing I don't like is that the narrow filter is still a little too wide for serious SSB use. I also paid $235 U.S. for it new. When the price gets near the original $300 U.S. price, it's overpriced for what it is.

bobk9eui

I don't hear many English speaking SW broadcasters these days. Do a search for VOA and BBC. Their skeds are on the web.

TammieM3ENF

Thanks all for replies :)

Yes, there is still a lot of SW stuff out there. Just look at the listings in the World Radio TV Handbook, plus a quick trip up and down the SW bands will uncover stuff.

JonN

Hello everyone, another new guy here. So I got this receiver as my first shortwave receiver. I have been playing around with it for at least 2 months. But it has some problems. I have read this thread and I don't see any solutions here so I will ask instead.

The first problem is that longwave doesn't work. Well it does work but it's almost deaf in that area. I barely hear any NDBs nor any broadcasters. There are several longwave broadcasters that I should be able to pick up when I've tried with other receivers. However with the S750 it needs to be very late at night, at least 23 hours local time (11 PM) or later to hear anything. But mediumwave works fine, I think.

The second problem I'm having is when I use the tuning knob there's sometimes a very annoying "drrr-drrrrr-drrrrrr" like sound, I'm not sure how to describe it. But there's also a normal sound when you're tuning and that's fine, the other isn't.

Thirdly it doesn't seem to work well with a random wire? I have a piece of around 4-meters of wire with an alligator clip to attach to a telescopic antenna as my "external" antenna. I also recently, something like 3 weeks ago, bought a Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver and the wire seems to perform "as advertised" on that radio.

Air band seems to work ok.

Also the radio is way too loud for my liking. My ears hurt every time I've been using this radio and suddenly there's a REALLY LOUD NOISE BLOWING MY EARS OFF! When that happens sometimes I've had to turn off the radio and then turn down the volume. I'm afraid to damage my hearing this way. :(

The unit I bought was a used one, it may be because it's a used model it's having these problems. I bought this unit during August, when there's still was the heatwave and high temperatures.

But I'm very happy with the Sony. :)

JustLou

JonN: There is something definitely wrong with the used unit you bought. None of those issues should be happening. Other than trying to get it repaired, I'm not sure there's anything else you can go.

JonN

Yeah, I'm afraid I will have to live with it. That's why I also got the Sony, because of these annoyances and also I wanted a more portable unit. Does your model also have a very loud audio? When I'm scanning the bands with it I have to have the audio volume just below one bar. If I put it any louder and I come across a loud noise, then, yeah. Sometimes I put the audio high because I want to hear a weak signal, but, no, can't have high volume all the time.

Also, about longwave, what do you think the problem might be? I have no idea as MW works. I also have the loud noise that makes you jump out when rotating the ferrite antenna, but that's been discussed here.

JustLou

Yeah, I'm afraid I will have to live with it. That's why I also got the Sony, because of these annoyances and also I wanted a more portable unit. Does your model also have a very loud audio? When I'm scanning the bands with it I have to have the audio volume just below one bar. If I put it any louder and I come across a loud noise, then, yeah. Sometimes I put the audio high because I want to hear a weak signal, but, no, can't have high volume all the time.

Also, about longwave, what do you think the problem might be? I have no idea as MW works. I also have the loud noise that makes you jump out when rotating the ferrite antenna, but that's been discussed here.
No. I don't have any audio issues. In fact my 750 is my bedside radio so I'm usually listening and tuning at low volumes so that I don't wake up my wife.

As for the MW issue, it sounds like something is wrong with AM antenna. You could open up the case and check the connection. Mine is very sensitive and I have no problems listening to DX stations across the country.

JonN

I said, Longwave is deaf, not MW (AM). Mediumwave is ok. Maybe there is something on the inside that's defect, as you said. But I'm totally not going to touch any electronics right now, as I don't generally do that kind of stuff. I may do so later, just not now. Also I'm not sure how I would fix this, I mean if both bands use the same connections and stuff and that one band doesn't work, then what? I'm not sure how it works, I'm just guessing.

I also read reviews on eham.net about this radio and there were reports of loud audio and the receiver being deaf on Longwave. Maybe some models have these issues, and I happened to get one such model. Oh, well.

JustLou

I said, Longwave is deaf, not MW (AM). Mediumwave is ok. Maybe there is something on the inside that's defect, as you said. But I'm totally not going to touch any electronics right now, as I don't generally do that kind of stuff. I may do so later, just not now. Also I'm not sure how I would fix this, I mean if both bands use the same connections and stuff and that one band doesn't work, then what? I'm not sure how it works, I'm just guessing.

I also read reviews on eham.net about this radio and there were reports of loud audio and the receiver being deaf on Longwave. Maybe some models have these issues, and I happened to get one such model. Oh, well.
Yeah, I misread. Sorry.

Do you have an early 750 (plastic knobs and antenna cap)? Maybe the issues were fixed in the updated 750's, which is what I have.

JonN

No, I believe both are metal. As when I touch the antenna at the top it affects the radio. It wouldn't do so with plastic.

JonN

It's me again. This time I'm wondering does this radio have DSP mechanics? Because in my model there's very little (normal) static. I need to crank up the volume to check if it's even there. And yes, it's there, but sometimes very little. Compared to my Sony it has a "normal" level of static. Is it normal for the S750 to have very little static?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
This time I'm wondering does this radio have DSP mechanics?

No.

Because in my model there's very little (normal) static. I need to crank up the volume to check if it's even there. And yes, it's there, but sometimes very little. Compared to my Sony it has a "normal" level of static. Is it normal for the S750 to have very little static?

Do you have the RF amp turned up?

You may just be lucky and live in a low noise location.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
Mine is deaf too unless I leave it in the Wide Band mode, Then it comes alive.

On my Grundg 750 it depends on how strong the signal is. Sometimes I get a decent signal on Narrow Band mode but can improve the signal on the Wide Band mode. Sometimes it sounds as though it doesn't make any difference.

JonN

No.

Do you have the RF amp turned up?

You may just be lucky and live in a low noise location.

Thanks. Maybe it's that. But my Sony SW7600 has a what sounds like a "normal" level of static (maybe I do live in an RF quiet zone, as the static is not particularly loud, but still louder than my S750!). Maybe it's the speaker on my S750 model that's messed up (I mentioned audio issues earlier here, and I think the audio sometimes distorts on my model). In the S750 sometimes it's like the static is not there? What's up with that? And yes I do have the RF amp. turned up, not on auto though. It's like there's DSP/some kind of noise reduction at play.

Last edited:

K8TOB

Premium Subscriber
Received a new Grundig/Eton Satellit 750

Just got a new S750 yesterday, plugged her in, hooked up the antennas, WOW!

I was very skeptical that it would be an improvement over my existing radios, but am still impressed.
Selectivity and Sensitivity are both very good. The RF gain along with the Antenna Attenuator works to a T.

Though I would like a fully adjustable Bandwidth feature the Wide/narrow settings are quite good and effective.

I could go on and on about the features and functions...They all work good. I 'musta' gotta good one!

I am using a 80m Dipole, 40m Dbl Bazooka, 20m Dbl Bazooka, 60ft long wire and 190ft Long wire all switched through a Ameritron RCS-8V remote coax switch. Inputs into the FM and SW antenna as well as the MW/LW antenna input. I haven't tried the internal whip.

What I currently have to compare with is the Elecraft K3/P3 w/general coverage, Tecsun PL-660 and the Tecsun PL-880. (I don't think I'll be pulling the Tecsun's back out for awhile.)

I've also owned (SW rcvrs) an ICOM R-75, Yaesu VR5000 and a Sangean ATS-909. For the money, the Satellit 750 beats them all. (I do still wish I didn't sell the R-75, ICOM implemented the memory feature well).

And yes, the Satellit 750 is hard to find in stock, but HRO has them in stock at a few locations

Status
Not open for further replies.