Grundig Satellit 750 desktop portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

I've had my 750 for awhile now, and still enjoy using it. I don't remember if I already mentioned it, but my only wish is that the filters were a little more narrow.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

bobk9eui

Received my 750 2 days ago and am ready to return it. Here are the problems - anyone else experience the same? :

1) On SW, a broad buzzing racket approx every 230 kHz. Not heard on any other receiver so
probably internally generated.
2) Very noticeable audio distortion on SSB unless atten and/or RF gain is really reduced.
3) On LW and MW it is almost dead if atten is set to 0. Must switch to -10 to hear anything.
4) A LOT of birdies on LW even with no antenna, so is internally generated.

Bob, K9EUI

nanZor

Received my 750 2 days ago and am ready to return it. Here are the problems - anyone else experience the same? :

1) On SW, a broad buzzing racket approx every 230 kHz. Not heard on any other receiver so probably internally generated.

Yep. One reason I ran it solely from batteries. It has very low current draw, so batteries last a long time, and almost negligible if using rechargeable D's. Be careful with the prongs on the battery door, as they are soft plastic and you can break or distort them if you manhandle the battery door.

2) Very noticeable audio distortion on SSB unless atten and/or RF gain is really reduced.

See msg #29 with a pic of the resistor mod to swamp the IF gain. At first, most attribute the overload to agc, which is a byproduct affect that could also use a bit of adjustment after the IF gain is reduced. Using heavy rf attenuation even way more than normal just hides the issue. The resistor mod is on the backside board under the Toshiba receiver IC.

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...-grundig-satellit-750-desktop-portable-2.html

3) On LW and MW it is almost dead if atten is set to 0. Must switch to -10 to hear anything.
The rotatable loop antenna can use a bit of deoxit cleaner on the contacts. While inside doing the resistor mod, you can get into the contacts of the loop and clean it up a bit.

A little tlc can make these a bit more efficient.

bobk9eui

Yep. One reason I ran it solely from batteries. It has very low current draw, so batteries last a long time, and almost negligible if using rechargeable D's. Be careful with the prongs on the battery door, as they are soft plastic and you can break or distort them if you manhandle the battery door.

The rotatable loop antenna can use a bit of deoxit cleaner on the contacts. While inside doing the resistor mod, you can get into the contacts of the loop and clean it up a bit.

Thanks for your input. The broadband interference is there even on battery power. None of my other receivers hears this.

The loop connection is not the problem. ATTEN at 0dB = almost dead radio, ATTEN at -10dB receives OK.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't overly impressed with my Grundig Satellit. 800. I hope my new 750 that is due delivery today performs better.

bobk9eui

Further investigation showed that the birdies and broadband noise were caused by a touch-lamp in a china cabinet across the room even though it was "off." Had to unplug it. Other issues still there.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
I like my new Grundig 750 a lot. I only wish they had put all of the antenna and power supply connections on the back. Or at least all on one side.

bobk9eui

the 750 again

I like my new Grundig 750 a lot. I only wish they had put all of the antenna and power supply connections on the back. Or at least all on one side.

Glad you're happy with it. Let me ask you this:

On MW (broadcast) is it the most sensitive with the ATTEN set to 0dB or at -10dB? That is my main concern now.

nanZor

Aside from a defective unit, is it possible you are getting overload / desense on MW requiring a 10db attenuation or more? I know many amateur rigs which have full coverage usually have attenuation in mw unless you clip / move a jumper for this reason..

Worst case - does it matter at all when you rotate the loop antenna with no attenuation active, or is it still just seemingly dead no matter what?

bobk9eui

Aside from a defective unit, is it possible you are getting overload / desense on MW requiring a 10db attenuation or more?

Worst case - does it matter at all when you rotate the loop antenna with no attenuation active, or is it still just seemingly dead no matter what?

Nope - not overload. With atten at 0dB 50KW stations 20 miles away are just S-9 on the meter
with atten at -10 they pin the meter.

ReiMomo

I want this radio very bad but first I need to know how selective the FM is?, I mean will I be able to get a weak station let's say at 107.9 when there is a strong one at 107.7? or should I go with the Sony XDR-F1HD? the problem is the Sony is not being made any more and won't tune SW.

bobk9eui

Replacement 750 arrived. THere are still issues (IMO) but at least the atten works as it should in this unit. For my use I can live with the useless S-meter on FM and the offset of the wide filter (which I may never use anyway). Super stable and quite sensitive. I'll give it a 4 out of 5

nanZor

Bob, glad you got a better operating unit. Yep, wide is useless for ssb, but the narrow filter is ok. You know about holding the zero-button to make the broadcast-band edge-beep stop right? Drive ya' nuts on 40 meters.. :)

ReiMomo: You can get improved FM reception by using the side bnc jack, and a telescoping whip adjusted to length for the FM band. Don't forget to switch to INT / EXT, and be sure to collapse the built-in whip. I forget if my INT / EXT switch was wired backwards, so try it both ways. The enhanced reception is due to the fact that the internal one has filter inline.

I use a Diamond SRH-789 telescopic pulled all the way out because the bnc-knuckle makes it easy to side-orient and just barely clears the case. Of course a real FM broadcast antenna outdoors will work even better.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobk9eui

Bob, glad you got a better operating unit. You know about holding the zero-button to make the broadcast-band edge-beep stop right? Drive ya' nuts on 40 meters.. :)

Have not noticed that problem. Maybe mine has that beep default to off?

jdobbs2001

Well at 250 some corners are going to be cut :) I venture its probably fine for what it is, a portable to be used with the whip it comes with.

Status
Not open for further replies.