Grundig Satellit 750 desktop portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksmith

I've been very happy with mine over the last 6-8 months. Don't bother the internal whip. Compared to what you have as antenna system using the whip will be like using no antenna at all. You will also find that there is horrible isolation on the internal/external switch. Putting it on internal while you still have the external attached will mean you are still primary using the external antenna.

I have a PL-660, PL-880 and the 750. In terms of pulling in a readable signal the PL-660 on the same antenna is a good rival. The 880 is not. But I think I prefer the 750 because of some of the additional control I have with RF and tone controls. Its just a nice sounding radio.

ReiMomo

...ReiMomo: You can get improved FM reception by using the side bnc jack, and a telescoping whip adjusted to length for the FM band. Don't forget to switch to INT / EXT, and be sure to collapse the built-in whip. I forget if my INT / EXT switch was wired backwards, so try it both ways. The enhanced reception is due to the fact that the internal one has filter inline.

I use a Diamond SRH-789 telescopic pulled all the way out because the bnc-knuckle makes it easy to side-orient and just barely clears the case. Of course a real FM broadcast antenna outdoors will work even better.

I'm using a directional 15 foot FM Yagi but WVOZ 107.7 still stronger at 9 miles from my house than WLDV 107.9 at 68 miles. That's why I need to know if the S750 is as selective as the XDR-F1HD.

nanZor

I don't know anything but what I've read about the XDR-F1HD, and think this would be an apples-to-oranges comparison, as the 750 is not designed to really be an awesome FM tuner. :)

Blackswan73

If you want excellent FM, as well as a shortwave that equals many desktop receivers, check out the Grundig 800. Engineered and designed by Drake, it is an excellent receiver if you find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.