HackRF One arrived yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatliner

You ordered just as they would have received stock.

Lucky for you, you've not had to go through sweaty sleepless nights of over-excitement waiting for the factory to finish the first batch, as many of us on here have had to endure!

Flatliner

Mine has arrived! Bleedin' heck! Two days it took, from dispach in San Francisco to London! Impressed? I should Co Co!

Er, mine is faulty. It's only supposed to go down to 10Mhz, yet I'm decoding JT65 on 7MHz. I shall write a letter of complaint, right after this post...

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
HackRf One & HDSDR

Anyone know if there is a HDSDR .dll (?) for HackRF One yet? HDSDR's web site has not had any
change since Nov '13 (?) so it may be a lost cause. I like HDSDR better than SDR# and would
love to be able to use it with my hackrf one.

Mil

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Me too. I have used HDSDR and SDR# quite a bit and prefer SDR console by far. Nevertheless, to each his own....

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I continue to be semi-frustrated with the near-complete lack of Windows support for this device. I understand that I can update the firmware via Linux. I've had my go-rounds with Linux and quite frankly don't care to continue to do so. It works with SDR-Console and SDR#, but at the firmware level it would be great if someone would take the time to develop a Windows method for updates. Nuand has done their best to provide support for Windows, hopefully GSG will follow suit.

Thus far I am underwhelmed by the performance of HackRF as a general coverage receiver, which is what I purchased it for. It seems to me that it is far away from the performance of my BladeRF and not that far above the performance of any of my $20 RTL dongles. Maybe it's just me. :)

Flatliner

8 bit ADC is always going to be dynamically limited, and likely to suffer from the same artefacts as a "bargain" dongle (I always thought that the word "cheap" cheapens the little chaps), though we knew that from the beginning.

What issues with performance, outside of the 8 bit wrangle, are you having Scott?

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Hey Scott
It is frustrating that the lack of Windows support. This will be a hot topic in considering my next SDR. No Windows support, no purchase. We cannot keep hoping Simon (SDR Console) will add support to his Great software, how generous he has been.
I get a lot of images form 50mhz-150mhz with my HackRF.

vince48

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I understand the 8 bit limitations, definitely. I am experiencing considerable imaging and aliasing short of backing the gain down a great deal. With regards to the imaging I'm sure it's just getting easily overloaded. I can overcome this to a point also by using external filters or changing antennas. The aliasing I see is frustrating. As I recall the firmware update may help to reduce both. I suppose I should bite the bullet and do the Pentoo install onto a thumb drive and just update the thing.

I wonder if anyone has updated to the latest firmware and as a result seen a reduction in imaging and aliasing.

Vince, I'm perfectly happy using SDR Console and SDR#, my Windows gripe is at the command line level.

Flatliner

The HackRF has been out for only around 45 minutes, a doughnut and a coffee, yet SDR-Radio.com and SDR# both support it, in Windows, and a huge amount of work is being done to expand on what's possible.

What should be remembered is that the whole idea of HackRF is to provide a completely open-source hardware and software platform that anyone can take, make, modify and improve. You can make your own, the sell it yourself. Want tracking filters? Sure, adapt the design to include your design. Don't much care for the ADC bit resolution? No problem, redesign it using a different ADC. Happy with the unit now? Great, go right ahead and sell it. Just don't try to deny anyone else the right to modify and sell the original design. The HackRF isn't a WinRadio Excalibur at £4000. It's a "take this idea, and when you want, make it better" box.

It's not called "HackRF" for nothing.

Last edited:

Flatliner

I understand the 8 bit limitations, definitely. I am experiencing considerable imaging and aliasing short of backing the gain down a great deal. With regards to the imaging I'm sure it's just getting easily overloaded. I can overcome this to a point also by using external filters or changing antennas. The aliasing I see is frustrating. As I recall the firmware update may help to reduce both. I suppose I should bite the bullet and do the Pentoo install onto a thumb drive and just update the thing.

I wonder if anyone has updated to the latest firmware and as a result seen a reduction in imaging and aliasing.

Vince, I'm perfectly happy using SDR Console and SDR#, my Windows gripe is at the command line level.

I updated almost immediately so didn't compare. The imaging is there though and to be expected. However, this will be mostly evident when using viewing the extremes of the sampling. As a rule here, take the sampling rate but expect half the display. I.E. setting to 20 MSPS wil show, say, 100-120 Mhz, but expect 105-115 Mhz. All that displaying the maximum is doing is showing, what I'll technically term as "ADC edge-fromage" (I may have invented that term around eight seconds ago ;o).

You'll notice that the images are related to the sampling rate. As an example, here in London, we have Kiss FM dead on 100 MHz, so if I move up frequency, I'll spot it also on 120 MHz as it appears on the right of the screen. However, if I continue to move up, the image will reduce significantly as I continue to move up, as the image moves towards the centre of the screen. That very strong image just melts away. Anything that is present within the middle 10 MHz is easily handled by a Band II rejection filter.

Last edited:

Flatliner

Also... if you do have an image where you don't want it, simply reduce the sampling rate, and it'll be gone.

Last edited:

SiriusLL

Hello Mancow. I am new here and new to SDR. I have a hackrf1 and am trying to listen to airband. My interest in airband is that I am a pilot. Anyway I was hoping you could help me with something. I can tune into the local tower frequency and also the ATIS but it comes in really fuzzy with low volume. Is there something I am missing here? I would really appreciate if you or someone could point me in the right direction. I am using SDR#.

Flatliner

The volume really shouldn't make a difference, unless you are using a low volume setting on your PC, sometimes called "loudness" which increases bass and treble at low volume.

How are you adjusting the volume, in Windows, with speaker volume, or via AF gain on SDR# (volume control at the top)?

Keep the desired signal towards the middle of the display, but not exactly in the centre. (important for HackRF as so many images)
Enable "Correct IQ".
Ensure that you are using AM with de-emphasis
Uncheck "Filter audio" (in "Audio" tab)
Use 10K bandwidth.
Enable AGC.
Keep the AF gain (volume slider) in SDR# at around 2/3.

Last edited:

SiriusLL

The volume really shouldn't make a difference, unless you are using a low volume setting on your PC, sometimes called "loudness" which increases bass and treble at low volume.

How are you adjusting the volume, in Windows, with speaker volume, or via AF gain on SDR# (volume control at the top)?

Keep the desired signal towards the middle of the display, but not exactly in the centre. (important for HackRF as so many images)
Enable "Correct IQ".
Ensure that you are using AM with de-emphasis
Uncheck "Filter audio" (in "Audio" tab)
Use 10K bandwidth.
Enable AGC.
Keep the AF gain (volume slider) in SDR# at around 2/3.
Thank-you flatliner. I will try these things. My apologies for the late response IV been in intensive training all week.

Flatliner

Your link is broken, but if you're looking at one of the cheap HackRFs, then, being open source, it can be legally cloned. Which means it'll be 8 bit only and as full of horrible aliases as the original. Unless you have a use for over 2 GHz, or want to experiment, then save your money, get a SDRplay RSP instead

Flatliner

It's not "hurting the developers", it's open source. The source code and hardware design information is freely available for anyone to use, modify, or improve. I just with someone would rip off that ADC and replaced that.

Status
Not open for further replies.