HackRF One arrived yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatliner

I've just spat my coffee all over my monitor. Jesus friggin' Christ. $25,700?? I'd have to sell the offspring to pay for one of those, but that's against eBay rules, unfortunately.

I've noticed that on the RTL dongles that the gain is defaulted to minimum on the driver, on SDR# also. Glad you're sorted now. It's a bit of a relief really, as there was the unpleasant odour of "duff batch" in the air up until now.

DeweyOxberger

Not a bad batch as far as I can tell. Michael is going to send me a new antenna. Now I just have to learn gnuradio. I guess this will finally be my excuse to learn python.

m1tanker78

[....]Now I just have to learn gnuradio. I guess this will finally be my excuse to learn python.

Once you go SDR, YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK! I started learning all about gnuradio after I got my Noctar. It's been months now and I'm still chugging along. The progression went something like:

~Install Ubuntu.
~Install gnuradio (zzzzz.....)
~Wrestle with GRC for a while.
~Drool at a 125 to 250MHz wide waterfall plot.
~Quickly realize that there's A LOT of math involved in designing even a simple filter. Fortunately, most of the work's already done. You just have to select the correct parameters, etc..
~Quickly realize that GRC ain't going to cut it. Time to learn Python in a 'Pythonic' way.
~Brush up on math and absorb a BUNCH of new concepts I don't remember learning in college.
~Brush up on C++ and build some custom apps and signal processing blocks in both C++ and Python. CURSES!!! I'VE PULLED OUT 40% OF MY HAIR!
~Noctar goes kaput. Reflashed firmware but never been the same since. I can get some use out of it though.

Unless you're already well-versed in most of the above, be prepared to spend a lot of time learning these and other things after you open that can. The linux/Python/C++/gnuradio/math is a scary forest but once you navigate it and come out the other side, the same can be EXTREMELY useful if you want to take SDR to a higher level. After all that cursing and bashing my head on the desk, I guess I learned a lot of new things and still doing so.

Under Linux, the HackRF might use command-line scripts (aside from the osmocomm block in GRC) that can adjust tuned frequency, gain, etc.. If so, these can be nicely tied in with a stand-alone Python script. I look forward to finally seeing the HRF in action!

Tom

mancow

Database Admin
I simply installed the latest SDR#, plugged it in and away I went. If you have any issues you might try running the Zadig driver installer again. It can be found in the SDR# folder.

I usually start with the gain at 0 then increase until the noise floor comes up about 10 db where there is a nice contrast on the screen but not over driven.

Also, the author of SDR-Console has a working DLL for the HackRF so support with that software should be available very soon.

To be clear, you do not need anything special installed to operate it with SDR#. No special plugins are needed. It's natively supported and is of of th many devices in the drop down list.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
HackRf One

Question: it will run under win 7 and SDR#, no linux right? Just plug it in, start SDR# and select it
on the SDR# drop down list of devices, hit configure, raise RF Gain level and hit play?

Mil

MileHighAko

Question: it will run under win 7 and SDR#, no linux right? Just plug it in, start SDR# and select it

on the SDR# drop down list of devices, hit configure, raise RF Gain level and hit play?

Mil

Yes, it runs under Win7 for SDR#, and you can use several other methods in Linux if you prefer (notably GQRX and GnuRadio).

One correction on your procedure: you have to hit play FIRST before you can adjust the gain levels in SDR#.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yea it sucks GNU is Linux based. I detest Linux. It's like having to learn DOS all over again. I get why it's popular but wading though the thousands of different versions and releases is tedious and flat out frustrating to me. But, I guess there is no other recourse if you want true functionality.

When is the last time you looked at Linux? It's come a long way! Linux Mint, which is a spin off from Ubuntu, is very easy to install, administer, and run. Take another look at it.

Linux Mint
Main Page - Linux Mint

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Now that a few of you have had the radio for a little while
what do you think of it.

brandon

Database Admin
NooElec is shipping the HackRF orders. I got notification today that mine is shipped.

MileHighAko

Now that a few of you have had the radio for a little while
what do you think of it.

I've put a lot of hours on these little radios, and am pretty happy with them. As long as you understand what you're buying, I think it delivers on its promise: a low cost open source SDR radio peripheral. Some amateur hams might be disappointed because this isn't a transceiver out of the box (I guess you can make it one, but that's not the design). It's a more capable RTL-SDR with transmit & huge potential, but still requires custom software and know how to make the magic happen.

The large bandwidth is fantastic when working in higher bands where the data is wider, or you're capturing rolling frequencies, mesh networks, etc.. The wide rage with no gaps is fantastic - I've had no problems grabbing stuff down to 1MHz (and have even tuned into some noisy AM broadcast stations less than 1MHz).

The platform appears to be super stable - running for hours at a time with no drift. However keep in mind that frequency correction varies across the band. It doesn't drift, but it is different depending on frequency so you have to measure and correct for the different segments of the band you're using.

What else can I say? Transmit is so much fun. I've done several experiments involving transmit, and haven't had any problems, including some ham WSPR contacts.

If you're a hacker/tinkerer, like to experiment with different wireless modes, or enjoy wireless research, then this is a handy tool. I use it more than any other SDR I own since that's the kind of stuff I enjoy doing. If you're a ham operator interested in DX hunting, then consider other options designed for that task (e.g. Elad FDM-S2). I've been hauling the HackRF One Prototype around since May (I travel frequently), taking it all over the US and China and have had a blast with it. Small enough to toss in your bag, large enough to support a decent telescoping antenna without tipping over.

I recommend it.

mancow

Database Admin
By the way, there is a firmware update available that helps to eliminate mirror images. I haven't yet installed it and just read about it on the email list.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I received mine on Saturday and have had a little time to start playing with it. It is a fun little SDR. I probably need to do the firmware update, as I am seeing a few images here and there.
Works great with SDR Console and dual band Ventenna on the roof. I haven't connected it to my end fed wire for HF yet.
So far I have decoded:
Trunking control channels, pagers and am working my way through the various modes in DSD+, all with great results.
Lots of amplification and other parameters to experiment with.
Gonna be fun!

mancow

Database Admin
I probably already mentioned this but the scanner+search plugin by the Russian developer is a fun option for SDR#.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Just got mine Saturday. Neat little device. I have it working in both SDR# and SDR-Console. I like its performance in SDR-Console better thus far though. Unfortunately SDR# will not allow for less than 8 MSPS, IOW the smallest FFT visible is 8 MHz wide. The zoom feature helps a bit with this but not ideal. I inquired in the SDR# Yahoogroup about this and the reply seemed to indicate that less than 8 MSPS would make it more susceptible to aliasing. I don't notice an issue with that when I'm using SDR-Console though.

I noticed a great deal of aliasing when I first started using it. I found that by increasing the VGA imaging was drastically reduced. This is the case in both SDR# and SDR-Console.

I know there's a firmware update available, but I was advised that as of yet the method to do so has not been ported to Windows. Unfortunate. These are great devices but it seems the builders are really keyed in on Linux and that Windows is an afterthought. The only apparent solution for firmware update at the moment is to use the version of Pentoo Linux that is recommended.

Looking forward to playing with this more. I don't think its performance is on a par with my BladeRF is, largely due to the 8 bit v. 12 bit ADC resolution. More use is required, but I'm off to a fairly good start with it.

MileHighAko

Unfortunately SDR# will not allow for less than 8 MSPS, IOW the smallest FFT visible is 8 MHz wide.

In SDR# you can override the dropdown defaults and specify your own bandwidth. I haven't noticed an increase of aliasing by doing so. I can reliably go down to 2 MSPS, which I'm told is the ADC bottom limit, and can also go upwards to 21.5 MSPS without packet loss.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
In SDR# you can override the dropdown defaults and specify your own bandwidth. I haven't noticed an increase of aliasing by doing so. I can reliably go down to 2 MSPS, which I'm told is the ADC bottom limit, and can also go upwards to 21.5 MSPS without packet loss.

Thanks! Obviously I never thought to try typing over the presets. Works fine. Much appreciated.

Flatliner

My HackRF is now on its way! I just thought that you all should know. 8¬D

Last edited:

digiital

I got notice as well this morning from NooElec, and I just had ordered it late last week, about 5 days ago from order to shipping. Not to bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.