Ham Call Sign License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NCF

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Your fear about privacy is well - founded. However, how many people know how to look up a ham call?
Also, if you live in a metro area and have to park on the street, I would not do it! The reason for that is quite obvious. It's an advertisement that you possibly could have some rather expensive gear in that car!

Hoofy

Maybe the bottom line is "be happy, don't worry".

There's lots of pros and lots of cons but it seems that I don't hear about very many Ham radios or Ham gear that has been stolen..........Around here the culprit would more likely be a disreputable Ham and he's going to know how to spot a hams car anyway.

Seems like most Hams are careful of who they buy used gear from so the market is not real hot. Get a low deductable on your comprehensive insurance, make sure you lock your car and be a happy Ham.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Most Amateur Equipment has removable heads so a good practice might be to remove those heads and stash them where they are not readily available, most car burglaries are done only when the thief can smash and grab in a hurry, he doesn't want to be hanging around to rip out radios - :) Just Be Happy

APTN

Ham Plates

As previously stated, regardless of plates, a vehicle with multiple antennas will draw some attention. (Been there done that.)

K

kb0nly

Yeah exactly, the antenna's are going to draw more attention than the license plates. When you see a vehicle with antennas that's the first thing that caught your eye, the antenna's... Just pause and think about that, when i read these posts i thought to myself "i didn't look at the plates until i saw the antenna's anyway"....

As for the plates material... Nope, cardboard isn't next but plastic is. Some states are already using plastic printed plates, and some are starting next year. I wouldn't doubt MN will join in there now that we have the flat plates that are printed, they did say it was a stepping stone to paying for having the printing machines that can print on any material. So in theory they could easily swap out the metal blanks for plastic now, the new machine doesn't care what they are made from.

I have also seen how the new flat plates hold up here, hit a few snow drifts in the winter time and they are all bent up. The stamped plates seem to have better strength, makes them more rigid. Oh well, not our choice.

At least i don't live in SD, they have a horrible system there. When you get Amateur Plates you have to keep your original plates in the vehicle, most seem to toss them under a seat or in the trunk, and they also have to keep the tabs current on BOTH sets of plates. What's up with that?? Unless they changed that with the new system, in SD now all plates are lifetime plates like our Amateur plates. You get a set of plates issued when you purchase a vehicle and have to keep them when you sell the vehicle and buy a new one and transfer them.

k8tmk

In Michigan, our license plates are still metal, although dust printed on and not stamped like they used to be. The only stamped area is in the upper right corner where the renewal sticker is supposed to go. It's amazing to see how many people can't comprehend what "place it in the upper right corner" means. Some plates look like they are trying to play four-corner bingo or something. I even saw a vehicle that belonged to a teacher that stuck her original sticker right in the middle (and they say kids can't read). Unfortunately, there is no Michigan law that allows police to ticket vehicles for wrong sticker placement.

Anyway, our amateur plates cost us only $2.00 a year extra for the plain plate, which is just the processing fee. If you want the colorful graphic plate, it's another $5.00 a year. Both plates have "Amateur Radio" printed down the left side.

Amateur plates stay with the licensee. If he changes vehicles, it can be either transferred, or supposedly must be turned in. I don't think there are any laws about expired plates. I happen to have all of plates.

Randy, K8TMK

K6JYB

Something else to consider is whether or not you plan on keeping the Tech license or are you planning on upgrading? If you upgrade to General or Extra and change your call sign or if you get a vanity call sign, your Tech plates will technically be illegal since the Technician call sign won't belong to you any more.

1. When upgrading to General your call sign does not change unless you request a vanity.

2. You can request a vanity even as a Technician. I changed my call sign from KI6JYB to K6JYB as a Technician only days after getting my license.

roadranger

Legality of plates. after upgrade...

Something else to consider is whether or not you plan on keeping the Tech license or are you planning on upgrading? If you upgrade to General or Extra and change your call sign or if you get a vanity call sign, your Tech plates will technically be illegal since the Technician call sign won't belong to you any more.

In my "Big Book of Wireless Things" I keep copies of older Ham Licenses and other info that I obtained about myself. From SCANNER FREQUENCIES - Online Database - Find Scanner Frequencies In Your Area and FRN registration at Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page, there shows a section set aside for "Previous Callsign." I'd Keep a copy of that along with; a copy of registration, a copy of insurance, and a current copy of your ham radio license. Not all of these are required, however they will be available for the need of further questioning of the relevance of the discrepancy between your tag and Fed. issued Amateur Radio License. At least you will have documentation showing that your Ham Radio license has changed. Oh yeah, I think the plates in Georgia are free, We just have to pay the tax on our vehicles.

Last edited:

KR8U

In Michigan you have to provide a copy of your FCC license to get the HAM plate.

If you change your call sign then your old FCC license is no longer valid and maybe that would invalidate your registration on your car..........

You don't have to change call signs as you move up from Tech to Extra.

Your plates are valid, then just pay the $2 for a regular or $7 for the fancy one again and get your new callsign plate.

W9NES

In Indiana Ham Radio Call Sign Plates thru The Indiana BMV are$8.00 per year to reserve them.We have to have a new Plate every year.These are the regular plates with our Ham Call Sign on the plate.

SCPD

QRT
I even saw a vehicle that belonged to a teacher that stuck her original sticker right in the middle (and they say kids can't read). Unfortunately, there is no Michigan law that allows police to ticket vehicles for wrong sticker placement.

Thanks for this comment. I thought that this was only a problem where I live. OMG ... this is so typical of the average human intelligence. Personally .. I wish I was stupid too then I wouldn't be bothered by the things that the average stupid human does.

Status
Not open for further replies.