Ham Radio & Contacting Emergency Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccg_ga

I am considering making a trip to that area next year and would like to drive that route. I am by no means a competition driver (one day at Skip Barber!) but would like the excitement of driving it in a new AWD car. Am I going to be sharing the road with hordes of crazy bikers or can I drive at my leisure?

I’m glad you asked. So the Tail of the Dragon is very popular with bikers and sport car drivers. It is literally a destination for them. I was out on Saturday around 3pm and while it wasn’t as busy as I expected, there were plenty of bikes are cars out. The bikes or other non sport cars didn’t bother me, but I was actually concerned that if one of the cars came around a corner to fast and could slow it down enough they would run into me or someone. Depending on which curve you are on and which direction you are going it is quite possible that if a car hit you fast or hard enough it could send you off the side of the mountain. I was slowing down to about 10-15 MPH and looking around the bend the best I could to see if any cars were approaching. The other thing also that I noticed is that most of the cars were being driven by pretty young kids, like 18-21 age range.

Case in point - this biker laid his bike down in a curve. I came around the corner right after he crashed as I mentioned in the original post.

IMG_8312.jpg

I talked to some other folks that have driven it multiple times and they said it is much less busy both during the week and first thing in the morning. I’d try and shoot for both. Early enough and you can probably run it a couple of times without feeling rushed. I kept pulling over and letting people pass, but I also was in a Jeep with 36” tires.

I did a write up on my site about the route I put together. Check it out, it has some more info about the Dragon.

ccg_ga

My role was as communications officer on that bus pictured below. As such, I also worked with the regional search-and-rescue unit. We covered 10 counties in Georgia and Alabama. The command unit has UHf, VHF, marine, aircraft and Low FM for the Red Cross. There's also a full complement of ham equipment. We have a Raytheon ACU-1000 to interconnect those various radios. We have high-speed Internet and 6 phones working from the satellite dish. We have DISH TV but I'm not sure the city knows they're paying for that. There's a conference room, head, small galley, elevated security cameras, 15KW generator but no sleeping facilities. At Katrina, we placed a cot under the conference room table and one in the aisle of the comm section. I guess you could say it sleeps two. I'm not complaining. we had the satellite TV, coffee pot and the microwave.

We've been to tornados, train wrecks, hostage situations, large hazmat spills, lengthy fire operations, (i.e. textile mill) and Katrina.

We don't have a large ARES participation here but the fact of the matter is, if we need some hams, they seem to come out of the woodwork

View attachment 94138

That is very cool! Are you still active in working on the bus or are you just participating in the events with your own ham gear these days?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
GEMA region 1/6 just had an MCV exercise in Gilmer county last Thursday. There were amateur radio operators performing AUXCOMM support from a couple of served agencies. The best way to get involved is by getting AUXCOMM training from GEMA by being sponsored by a served agency and getting on their roster.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I cannot imagine typing an email or SMS into a microphone during an emergency. I'd be dead before I got the message out. LOL
Not hard at all. And a lot of emergency services are accepting text messages.

ccg_ga

GEMA region 1/6 just had an MCV exercise in Gilmer county last Thursday. There were amateur radio operators performing AUXCOMM support from a couple of served agencies. The best way to get involved is by getting AUXCOMM training from GEMA by being sponsored by a served agency and getting on their roster.

Thanks, I will check into that. Appreciate the tip.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I've had much better luck scaring up 2 meter contacts on 146.52 recently...in some pretty desolate spots in rural TX!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
A month ago, an out of province 4 x 4 became stuck in an area not serviced by cell carriers. Although this was no "emergency', he was not prepared, other than water, for spending time in the wilderness. An amateur radio operator happened to be in the area. After he made a call for assistance on one of the local amateur repeaters with coverage in the area, there were 3 amateur radio operators in the city who answered his call. One was a 4 x 4 who's organization did perform back country rescue. I know there were others listening that were going to respond as well.

cajunjerry

I was out on Hwy 129 in western NC/eastern TN yesterday which is known locally as the "Tail of The Dragon" because it has 318 sharp curves over 11 miles. It is very popular with motorcycle and sport car drivers.

I happen to come around one of the curves right after a guy laid his motorcycle down after he ran off the road. I helped him get it back up and thankfully he was ok and not seriously hurt. I had no cell service along with the entire distance of the road and it would take an ambulance or other medical help at least 30 or 45 minutes to get to the location where it happened.

As I started back down the road, I was thinking about what would I have actually done if the guy was seriously hurt? I have a 2M/70CM ham radio in my Jeep, but what if I didn't know which repeater was in range (I did thanks to the RepeaterBook mobile app) or if I wasn't able to contact someone on the repeater that could call for help?

So my question is, has anyone else been in a similar situation and had to call for help? What did you do?

I know in years past repeaters might have an autopatch to a phone system, but it doesn't seem like that is really a "thing" anymore given how ubiquitous mobile phones and modern percommunications are these days. I'm interested to hear how others might have reacted in this situation?
If he was seriously hurt. A helicopter would be perfect

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
So I am a little familiar with DMR from scanning as I have the DMR mod on my SDS100, but would certainly still consider myself very green on digital modes. Is it common for the DMR enabled repeaters to be linked like IRLP, Echolink, D-STAR, etc, etc can link either over the internet or via RF. I'm in the Atlanta area and we have the Southeast Linked Repeater network, but as far as I know it's only up during the weekly net and not running continuously.

There are some digital mode enabled repeaters around here, so that would probably be a good thing to learn more about just given that way more people may be monitoring than just who can hit the repeater via RF.

It is quite common for them to be linked to worldwide networks. Most DMR repeaters are, though there are a few here and there that aren't. Where I was, I had 3 DMR repeaters that I could hit from where I was, and all 3 were linked to the Brandmeister Network. As I mentioned, that takes you from a potential audience of zero to a lot of people. Not everyone is willing to help (which is quite sad...not sure when that became the case in amateur radio), but when you widen your audience considerably, you're almost bound to find someone who is.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I think we as a community need to come up with standard operational plan for answering emergency calls on ham radio (such as an alert tone that’s broadcast when a certain PL tone or DTMF sequence is used or auto dial 911 when activated) and publish listings of participating repeaters.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Not hard at all. And a lot of emergency services are accepting text messages.
Not hard but long. It's akin to texting on a flip phone. If you're injured, it's even that more laborious. I'd take a PLB or one of the aforementioned sat devices any day over texting with APRS in hopes it gets somewhere.

My point here is reliability and ham radio just isn't reliable anywhere you might go. A sat device or PLB would be considered much more reliable with much fewer outage areas.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I think we as a community need to come up with standard operational plan for answering emergency calls on ham radio (such as an alert tone that’s broadcast when a certain PL tone or DTMF sequence is used or auto dial 911 when activated) and publish listings of participating repeaters.
It already exists. It's just not well known.

There is such a thing as the Wilderness Protocol. One of the features of this protocol is Long Tone Zero (LiTZ). Some repeater controllers are set up to alert specific people when LiTZ is heard.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Am I going to be sharing the road with hordes of crazy bikers or can I drive at my leisure?
Lots of crazy bikers usually. . .

There are plenty of reasonable drivers out there too but when you're only doing 30 and constantly slowing down to 15 for the curves the bikes start getting impatient behind you. Most of them want to be "cruising" at 40 or 50.

Tennessee Highway Patrol has been trying to slow people down because of the high numbers of crashes and they have been known to write tickets for 1mph over posted in certain spots.

To the OP, I don't think you'd be able to get into a repeater from out there anyway. There is little wireless coverage of any kind once you get past Tallassee and the Parkway entrance on the TN side.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
That is very cool! Are you still active in working on the bus or are you just participating in the events with your own ham gear these days?
Funny you should ask. I've passed the 3/4 century mark. I've been working on a volunteer basis since I retired from the PD in 2007 but I have to face the obvious: it's not as easy as it used to be.

The EMA director and I designed the bus. We purchased a shell (a plywood floor and a driver's seat) from Bluebird buses in Ft. Valley, GA. We took the "shell" to Van-Mor in Ocala, FL. They outfitted it to our specifications (work spaces, conference room table, AC w/ heat, 15 KW generator, carpeting, toilet, et. al.). We installed our own electronics (radios & antennae, TVs, satellite dish, etc. The total cost without the electronics was only $246,000.

It's sorta been "my baby" since it was built but I'm walking away from it at the end of this month. In the field, I've made most of the repairs except for tires and drivetrain. I'm 76 now and it's getting tougher. For instance, I'm a little reluctant to climb on top of the bus for satellite dish or antenna adjustments.

Anyway, at my age, I wanna do what I wanna do. I have a boat and a motorhome, both of which are not being used nearly as much as they should. I'm gonna change that. I also play mandolin in a little country band and if we can ever get back to at least a modicum of normalcy, I'll resume entertaining the masses. At my age, it's getting tougher and tougher to be a chick magnet.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
We have a Tractor Supply here but I'm not gonna hold my breath for the chicks.....or the other chicks, for that matter.

W5lz

To the original question;
It's a sort of common occurrence. Asking for help on the radio isn't all that unusual, and someone will usually respond. As long as you get the information to the proper place and -timely-, how it gets there isn't a biggy (except to those involved). It helps if you've got the required repeaters and the calling freq already programmed in. That's one of the reasons I put a radio on scan, right?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If my Garmin InReach device was broken I would probably rattle off, "Break Break Break I have an emergency <my callsign>" I think only two "break" are needed, but I have pan pan pan and mayday mayday mayday on the brain. Similar to firing three shots to advise of an emergency. Honestly, I don't see a problem if amateurs were to emulate the three mayday calls. I have a feeling even non radio operators understand the meaning. If I hear someone give three mayday I am going to treat it as an emergency. If I heard an amateur say pan pan pan, I would still treat it as urgent although not an emergency. Is there a reason those phrases weren't adopted years ago by amateurs? Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.