HAM radio technician license question...

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
Since I got back into the scanning hobby (Bought an SDS100), I have been looking into getting my HAM Radio license.

The only thing that is preventing me from doing so is the fact of the way I learn.
I learn by doing (Hands-On) and don't do very well if I have to do book learning or by watching videos.

Given the above information, could I pass the technician exam? I just don't want to waste money unnecessarily. If it wasn't meant to be, I will just end up getting a GMRS license.

Last edited:

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Go to this site:

Start taking the exams and spend an hour a day for about two weeks. You're ready to take your exam when you start scoring in the upper 80% - 90%. To find a location where they are testing, go to this link:

Aviation_Scanner

WSEY205
Premium Subscriber
Go to this site:

Start taking the exams and spend an hour a day for about two weeks. You're ready to take your exam when you start scoring in the upper 80% - 90%. To find a location where they are testing, go to this link:

I forgot about the fact that I work at a UPS store and the fact that election/holiday season is coming up on top of working a second jo (I work as a HS Football Clock Operator).
Thanks for the tip, but given my circumstance above, I think it's better for me to get a GMRS license at this time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the tip, but given my circumstance above, I think it's better for me to get a GMRS license at this time.

I've been a ham for decades.
GMRS is an -excellent- option, and in some ways, better than amateur radio. Absolutely, get your GMRS license and enjoy it.
You can always use it as a stepping stone to amateur radio.
Or not. You may, like many, find that GMRS fits your needs just fine.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
GMRS as an entry point to ham radio is an excellent idea. I had my first taste of radio during the CB craze of the late 1960's-1970's. I had considerable hands on learning installing radios and tuning antennas.

I was also a working news photographer and learned a lot about communications systems thru scanning, but a ham license eluded me until the late 1980's because of the (then) Morse Code requirement. A friend gifted me a Henry Tempo 1 HF radio, and I grew weary of hearing "no code is just around the corner", so I learned the Code, passed my Novice test, then Technician and General (with Code) and later, Extra (without Code).

I've learned some things from reading and research, but most of my radio/electronics knowledge comes from practical, hands on, experience. I've found that physical experience helps demystify arcane theory and formulas and it's fun to make things that (sometimes/usually) work.

rf_patriot200

Since I got back into the scanning hobby (Bought an SDS100), I have been looking into getting my HAM Radio license.

The only thing that is preventing me from doing so is the fact of the way I learn.
I learn by doing (Hands-On) and don't do very well if I have to do book learning or by watching videos.

Given the above information, could I pass the technician exam? I just don't want to waste money unnecessarily. If it wasn't meant to be, I will just end up getting a GMRS license.
Much of the test is Common sense, and Not difficult. When I took mine, I didn't study at all, and just took it and passed. it was a cakewalk.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Much of the test is Common sense, and Not difficult.
The only "real" studying might include operating privileges and maybe FCC rules.

Agreed, it's not very difficult, but one of my major issues with all the license tests is the somewhat inconsistent style of the questions.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've run across a few people that get pushed into amateur radio, or those that think its their only option, find a better fit with GMRS.

You can always get your ham license later if you decide it's a better fit. GMRS can be an excellent stepping stone into other aspects of radio.

Make sure you get decent radios. Don't dive in to GMRS with $18 Chinese radios from Amazon. That'll usually lead to disappointment.

rf_patriot200

I've run across a few people that get pushed into amateur radio, or those that think its their only option, find a better fit with GMRS.

You can always get your ham license later if you decide it's a better fit. GMRS can be an excellent stepping stone into other aspects of radio.

Make sure you get decent radios. Don't dive in to GMRS with $18 Chinese radios from Amazon. That'll usually lead to disappointment.
So far, the TID brand of radios seem to Bowelturd killers, with better performance, build quality. Specifically the H-8.

KR8MR

Premium Subscriber
of you already know the theory like 246/f or 468/f then the hard part for me at least ...was memorizing the band limits on HF. SO My SUGGESTION is find a radio club nearby that offers classes. I used to live near Dayton OHIO and there was a DIAL radio club they were a great group and offered weekly classes then tests at the the end. I had Novice and did 5wpm to get that. I then went to a tech when code requirement went away I was a slow code tech. Then they changed things some more I think. That is when I went to Dial club classes and took 2 tests at the end and went from tech+ to general then extra in same night. It's not that hard, And I credit dial for helping with EASY ways to memorize the band limits on HF. (there are a lot of similarities in the ranges.. so if ya know what bands are the exception, its easy to memorize) I hate that they always want to talk about wavelength when Frequency is more accurate and no room for arguments.. LIKE where does 75M band end and 80 Meters begin? I know but why does anyone care?

WX9RLT

Top Dawg
I learn hands on as well.

I knew absolutely NOTHING about ham radio.
The ham radio license exam was less than 48 hours.

Remind you, I had zero knowledge of ham radio.

I used this website, and I was able to ace the test.
https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

What the site did for me was, it would repeat the questions I got wrong.
So, it became memory muscle.
Long story short.

I went from knowing nothing, to acing the test within 48 hours.

I went on to become a General.
Just remember, you only have to do the test once. :)