ham users

Status
Not open for further replies.

rckydenver

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
1,483
Reaction score
1
Location
Arvada, Colorado
k3td said:
CONGRATULATIONS! Keep an eye on http://www.qrz.com to see your callsign when the license is issued by the FCC. I'm not sure what the current lead time is, but I know it is days - not weeks! Let us know!

Good luck and 73,
Thought I would let you know, got my callsign on Friday it was on QRZ database, talk a few time on my new HT I bought the Yaesu VX-7R from HRO might need the waterproofing if I deceide to do some fishing this summer..does get warm in the hand after some long TX'ing..Thanks again and 73's from (KC0UDW) Tom...p.s. might be little awhile before I thing about a vanity callsign.
 

k3td

Member
Joined
May 18, 2003
Messages
199
Reaction score
1
Location
Wake Forest, NC
Congratulations Tom! And your VX-7R is one sweet rig! Let's see ... UDW ... Unusually Deadly Weapon? ... Uncommonly Dry Wine? ... I'm sure your buddies will come up with something much better!

73,
 

laser21012

Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
Gold Canyon, AZ
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a technician license for a while, when I stumble across this thread. The question I have, is it better to get the cd to study or to go ahead and take the online course through the ARRL? I feel that the interactivity of the online course would benefit me more. Any comments would be welcomed.

Bob
 

k3td

Member
Joined
May 18, 2003
Messages
199
Reaction score
1
Location
Wake Forest, NC
Bob, you might also want to consider finding a local club. Many clubs offer a license class for nothing more than the cost of the study guide, and can help you find a test session too. There should be several clubs in the Annapolis - Severna Park area. The Foundation for Amateur Radio is an umbrella group of about 50 ham clubs in the DC/Balt area, you will be able to find a local club at their web site: http://www.amateurradio-far.org/

Good luck!
 

XTreme43

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
McLeansboro, IL
what would be some suggestions for a starting out technicican ham be ?

I have several older icom icv8's and v8000, and a mobile ic-207h in the truck. was lookin for a base unit and accessories that wont dry out the bank :)

TIA

Brian
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
11
Location
Katy, TX
Brian,

Most people use mobles as base units. (I use a Kenwood TM-261 and a Yaesu FT-8500 for in house.) Unless you want to get into satelitte work, there really aren't too many "base" style VHF/UHF radios.
 

K2KOH

Silent Key
Joined
Jul 30, 2001
Messages
2,767
Reaction score
159
Location
Putnam County, NY
XTreme43 said:
what would be some suggestions for a starting out technicican ham be ?

I have several older icom icv8's and v8000, and a mobile ic-207h in the truck. was lookin for a base unit and accessories that wont dry out the bank :)

TIA

Brian

The one "base" unit that comes to mind is the Icom IC-910, and that's about 1200 bucks. As Loumaag says, just grab a mobile rig, a power supply that puts out at least twenty amps (I know, VHF is only 10 amps, but HF down the road?), and you're set. Have fun!
 

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
6,100
Reaction score
17
Location
Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
Technician license exam

Hi all,

First of all it's great to see someone snag a cert, now wait for the callsign to appear in the FCC ULS database and go to it. QRZ is just a bit slow on the uptake.

As for study material, I found the best is the Gordon West manuals. Just highlight the correct answers and memorize each Q and A, forget everything else, they'll only confuse you. It deals with all three question pools, you need to know ALL the answers because you never know which test will be given.

Once you have your Tech license you'll have full priveliges above 30mHz, but one bit of advice, when you buy a rig go for broke. Well, not in the wallet, what I mean is get one with room for future expansion and more than FM. A good HF/VHF/UHF rig is the IC-706mK2G but you might also consider a 222mHz FM rig like the Alinco DR-235 to fill in that hole in the spectrum.

There's more out there than repeaters, CW and SSB is where the real hams hang out and operating practices very similar to those on HF. You won't learn much good operating practices on those laid back "2M CB frequencies, repeaters in particular but they're a good place to meet people, RF chat rooms I suppose. (;->) BTW, during band openings the bottom end of the bands are where the action is.

Then study the Morse code, get your cert, it's good for one year. That gives you time to absorb Gordo's next manual, the General exam. HF is a whole 'nuther world compared to upstairs, it's good to have priveliges from DC to light even if you have to go for Extra to fill in a few holes. That one is a killer, but you'll become an electrical engineer in the process.

This digression is getting long so find and join an Amateur Radio club near you where you'll find plenty of teachers willing to lend a helping hand. We call them elmers so if you want to get on the air all you need is motivation and drive.
 

XTreme43

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
McLeansboro, IL
i just ordered my first radio!!

Elecraft K2 with all options available. My ol lady bought it for my birthday, but they seem to be backlogged for about a month :(

thanks for the info. I purchased a 2m IC-V8, and the IC207h for mobile use.
Now to tackle the exams. I took your guys advice and bought the gordon west instructional books (all the way up to extra), and am waiting patiently for the 14th of this month to take my tests :)

Just hope i can pass that general.... seems really involved :)

Brian
 

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
6,100
Reaction score
17
Location
Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
study

Hi X and all,

I have this sneaking feeling you may have wasted your money on study manuals higher than your immediate goal. The band plans are about to change and you'll have to learn the new ones when the time comes, by then the books will be obsolete. With any luck that's all that changes so you may not have to order new books after all, we'll see.

Good luck OM, see ya on the bands and here with a callsign Mr. Treme. (;->)
 

djeplett

Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
858
Reaction score
189
Location
NE Wisconsin
This might be a useful hint for an aspiring amateur:

I learned Morse from a set of Gordon West tapes that I got from Radio Shack. Then, to become profficient at 5wpm I went to this site:

http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/index.shtml

I walked into the exam with a big head expecting to ace the test. Then the test started and I had trouble. :shock: More trouble then I had had in weeks. Why? I think it was a combination of nerves and the tapes that were used were ARRL test tapes. The sound of the code threw me for a loop. I ended up passing only because I had a solid minute of code copy.

So my suggestion is to find out if the ARRL tapes will be used where you will be taking the test and if they are then pick up a copy of the ARRL's Morse study so you're used to the tone. Some Hams may call me nuts but I swear it was a problem for me and just maybe I can help someone else do better.

Perhaps another Ham can say if the ARRL tapes are widely used or not? My guess is yes.
 

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
25,906
Reaction score
2,592
Location
Bowie, Md.
Actually I suspect it might have been the spacing that threw you off; you see, (since I just took the tests last year for my General), even though they send the CW at 5wpm, they use a spacing method that makes it sound like 13 or so wpm. If all you were practicing at was 5wpm, that can throw you off.
Personally, even though I used CW tapes from Gordon West (I would have to dig them out of storage...) I also tried to copy some amateur and commercial CW over the air. Much better training with realistic on the air usage than just using the tapes. If memory serves the ARRL runs code practice as well.

73s Mike
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Reaction score
11
Location
Katy, TX
ka3jjz said:
Actually I suspect it might have been the spacing that threw you off; you see, (since I just took the tests last year for my General), even though they send the CW at 5wpm, they use a spacing method that makes it sound like 13 or so wpm. If all you were practicing at was 5wpm, that can throw you off.
It is called the Farnsworth method and is actually easier to copy. Individual characters are sent at a faster rate and spaced to make the entire transmission fit the WPM rate you are aiming at. I believe that ARRL uses 18 WPM character rate and then spacing the characters to fit the 5 WPM transmission rate. It also allows you to increase your code rate easier.

Recognizing dit-dah as "A" at all speeeds is easier than hearing diiiiit------daaaaaaaaaah at 5 WPM and then diiit----daaaaaaah at 7 WPM, etc.
 

djeplett

Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
858
Reaction score
189
Location
NE Wisconsin
Actually, if you check out AA9PW's website you can see that you can send it at 5wpm with the characters being sent at 15wpm Farnsworth, which is what I practiced at since that's what the Gordo tapes said it would be sent at.

It's hard to explain the difference without sound files. The AA9PW site makes perfect sounding files and the Gordo tapes were perfect as well, but the ARRL tapes sound much more like what you'd actually hear on the air I think.

I tried to find some code at 5wpm on my SW portable, but all I could catch was warp speed stuff at the time. I would have to guess that the ARRL sample broadcasts would be excellent to use.
 

Al42

Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
3,457
Reaction score
0
Location
Long Island, NY, USA
ARRL code practice schedule:

<pre>(Eastern) Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri
9 am Fast Code Slow Code Fast Code Slow Code
4 pm Fast Code Slow Code Fast Code Slow Code Fast Code
7 pm Slow Code Fast Code Slow Code Fast Code Slow Code
10 pm Fast Code Slow Code Fast Code Slow Code Fast Code
</pre>
Frequencies are 1.8175, 3.5815, 7.0475, 14.0475, 18.0975, 21.0675, 28.0675 and 147.555 MHz.

Slow Code = practice sent at 5, 7-1/2, 10, 13 and 15 words per minute (wpm).

Fast Code = practice sent at 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 13 and 10 wpm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top