Hancock County Digital TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
According to the FCC Web site, Hancock County has applied to the FCC to implement a UHF digital TRS. According to information on the application, it does appear that this will be a MOTOTRBO TRS.

Application

73s

Ron

SCPD

QRT
Hmmmm.... Hancock County is really rural so I don't understand why they would need a TRS. I suppose I didn't realize their channel loading was that heavy. It appears that some sales reps are making a killing around here selling MotoTrbo and Nexedge/NXDN to the local governments. Gold Cross EMS went to MotoTrbo, McDuffie County S.O. went to NXDN, and Warren County S.O. is using some kind of digital that I haven't made an ID on. Rumor has it that Lincoln County S.O. wants to go with MotoTrbo too... I understand the want/need to go with digital but why isn't everyone on the same sheet of music? I always thought P25 was there for INTEROPERABILITY?!?!?!.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Motorola sales people are going around making these rural agencies think they must go digital rather than just narrow banding. Most of these agencies do not need and will never use the features of a digital system like GPS and data transmissions yet they will still pay for the upgrade.

JRayfield

If an agency has to replace older non-narrowband-capable radios, then MOTOTRBO XPR radios are often less expensive than what analog-only radios would cost.

While some agencies do not need or want GPS or other data capabilities, some do want 'privacy'. The cost of an analog-only radio, with rolling-code scrambling, will be MUCH higher than a MOTOTRBO radio with it's standard Enhanced Encryption (which is comparable in 'security' to analog rolling-code scrambling).

Not all sales people are going around telling people that they must change to digital to meet the narrowbanding mandate.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Motorola sales people are going around making these rural agencies think they must go digital rather than just narrow banding. Most of these agencies do not need and will never use the features of a digital system like GPS and data transmissions yet they will still pay for the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.