Hand held for traveling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjack

Premium Subscriber
I've got a pro 162 that I think is really greaT. Programmed for all my local stuff from the computer by a local RS guy. All good.. I've been reluctant to play around with the programming myself since I haven't read (understood) it enough to get comfortable with the process, so I leave it home when we travel.

My question is would this new (?) Pro-107 be something I'd want to consider? Can you, for instance, have it set up at home, fly to Denver and reprogram for that locale off any computer or would you need some program in a personal laptop or somesuch? Go easy, I know I'm a dinosaur, but I'm workin' at it.
Jack

kcoleman

justjack,

The PRO-107 would be a very good travel scanner. The entire radio reference database is maintained on a 2-gig SD that is installed in the radio and this gives you the freedom to load, on-the-fly, practically any county, city, or system without the need of computer software.

However, the info in the database may not be complete for an area that you may be visiting. In this case you would want the software that is included with the 107.

Good Luck,
Keith

justjack

Premium Subscriber
So Radio Reference Database is already right there on the SD, huh? The same one that comes with a membership?So what's the process, do you just tell the scanner where you are and it does the rest? If this si the case, even a non-hardcore scanner fan could use it. From what I've read it seems to be a pretty good scanner in all the other categories you more experienced guys look at. Ss, good,
I really do wish I could learn the process on my 162.; what plugs where and the like. Hey , maybe they've got a you tube about doing it - that things got everything else on there.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Using either the on screen menu or the included software:
Select the State.
-State Wide agency
----County
------County Agency
------Category
------System
----City

And import to a playlist

Database is updated every Saturday and the can be coppied to the SD card using a card reader on a computer.

justjack

Premium Subscriber
Am I supposed to have something else downloaded as an information source or with this 60 bucks worth of cable and ARC do I have to still type in all info by hand?? If thats the case whats all this stuff for?
Remember, I'm new. And old.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Am I supposed to have something else downloaded as an information source or with this 60 bucks worth of cable and ARC do I have to still type in all info by hand?? If thats the case whats all this stuff for?
Remember, I'm new. And old.

For the Pro-107, the Iscan Library updates are FREE. The only item you will need to get is an SD card reader if your computer is not equiped with one. Software comes with the radio. The only extra that is needed to buy is either rechargeable batteries or alkaline batteries. Radio will charge, using supplied cable, from any USB port source.

Last edited:

justjack

Premium Subscriber
Sorry Doug for my mistake,flopping all over. I'm seeing the 107 on the horizon but am trying figure out what seems to be a do-able process with my 162 now. Here's what's probably the dumbest question I ever asked on this site:
Do I have to download the original info from the member database here at RR and then thats what goes into the computer which then allows me to use the ARC program to categorize and customize and then send it to the 162. Is that the event sequence?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
There are a number of ways to program the scanner. As a member, you can import from RR, Download an Excel file and copy/past into the ARC program, enter the info by hand into the ARC program, skip the software and program the radio by hand (Hardest).

Status
Not open for further replies.