Handheld Antenna

blakem445

Just bought a 125AT looking for a good airband antenna for both civil and Military air? Not the Diamond its too long for carrying on my waistband. Have searched the forums everything I can find is no longer sold or out of stock. Would like to get something soon since going on vacation. Any insights?

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a Smiley antenna on my 436HP, and I love it! Mine is tuned for a 155MHz center frequency, but it does surprisingly well for other bands, and will run circles around the stock antenna it replaced. They have tuned antennas for air band as well, but nothing specific for above 136MHz. Should still work decent though. Aircraft

merlin

Including MIL-AIR, you simply need a dual band covering from 118 Mhz to 385 MHZ.
I just bought one, 16 inches long. Works good but if that is too long for you, maybe forget air band.

rf_patriot200

Just bought a 125AT looking for a good airband antenna for both civil and Military air? Not the Diamond its too long for carrying on my waistband. Have searched the forums everything I can find is no longer sold or out of stock. Would like to get something soon since going on vacation. Any insights?
I use my Signal Stick for listening to civilian and Military airband on several of my portables. Advantage of This antenna, is you can tuck the excess antenna in your waistband ! It's Really that flexible.

oceans777

Listener
Premium Subscriber
I have the Signal Sticks on both of our IC-R30’s and compared to the Diamond S/RH77CA, 789 telescoping, Maldols etc the Signal Sticks
are really superior on the R30’s. They really pull aviation on VHF & UHF out of the noise, clear strong signals much easier to understand esp on short midair comms. I’ll run them on the 125AT tonight and/or tomorrow when home and let you know how they make out and look for others too in my antennas you might find in time..

oceans777

Listener
Premium Subscriber
My nephew has the 125AT the week so I couldn’t test but looks like others have no problems using the Signal Stick with it.
EM Wave has some excellent handheld and portable,semi-flex VHF & UHF antennas I’ve seen on a few handhelds and around airports.
Diamond are the other ones I have but I can’t think of any better than Signal Stick for size & performance if you can get it in time.

wtp

i have heard the space station in the 145 band. voice and packet.
i am using a 325P2 with a radio shack 800 band antenna. (less than 7 inches long)
when a plane is up, you don't need a super antenna to hear them.
trees and buildings are not that important, well unless you are really near them.
and with many antennas you won't hear the tower anyway, well unless you are really near it.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I used the Watson 901 on my now sold 125AT and now on my 160DN. It performs well on the Aviation , Rail and Marine bands.
I also second the Watson 901 as a decent aviation antenna. The Diamond is better in my opinion, but the Watson meets your short antenna requirement.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I just bought one, 16 inches long. Works good but if that is too long for you, maybe forget air band.
Appears to not come in BNC. OP would need a BNC-M to SMA-M adapter for their BC125AT in addition to the antenna...

FKimble

Smiley has HT antennas for every thing VHF. They also have short medium and long. Have had very good luck with them. They will also tune to you desired center freq;

Frank