Harford County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jensams

Hello all..new here. Listen in Harford County. Phone ap no longer works..need a scanner. Recomendations??

Hello all..new here. Listen in Harford County. Phone ap no longer works..need a scanner. Recomendations??
They're expensive, but the most advanced scanners out there are the SDS models from Uniden.

I own the SDS200 and it works great.

The hand held version is the SDS100

A less expensive scanner is the 996P2 base or the 325P2 handheld.

Here's the complete listing:

Good luck! (y)

Jensams

How do you program it for your area? I'm new here so bare with me. I keep hearing eventually all police going encrypted ...will it still broadcast??

How do you program it for your area? I'm new here so bare with me. I keep hearing eventually all police going encrypted ...will it still broadcast??
With some of the scanners like the SDS models - you just enter your zip code and the scanner uses the database from this site.

With other scanners, there are software programs such as ProScan that you can program the scanner yourself.

Yes some agencies use encryption, but there's still plenty to listen to.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd highly recommend sticking with the SDS units. While they're more expensive, these radios are known to handle certain types of systems that the 996P2 and 325P2 can't easily do.

As the doctor says, while you can use your zip code for programming, to really get the most out of the scanners, you will need to learn a bunch of new terms and concepts. You can start here, and note that anything in blue is a link both here and in the wiki...

Start by reading the material in the Nuts and Bolts section; then move to the Relevant Source Material section. Finally when you've got a handle on this - it will take time, so don't rush it - go down to the Reported Issues and Questions section and read the answer to what to do with these scanners for the first time.

Harford County uses the CMARC system - here is the link from our database. Be sure to bookmark the FAQ page and this...

Take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions. We've all been there at one time or another

Mike

tvengr

Well Known Member
I monitor Harford County on a regular basis and have programmed scanners for a lot of Harford County firefighters. Harford County is a simulcast system. The only radios that will work reliably are the Uniden SDS100/SDS200 scanners and Unication G4/G5 pagers. They are the only ones that will receive the system at my location. Fire, EMS, Sheriff, Bel Air PD, Aberdeen PD, Havre De Grace PD, and Maryland State Police are open to receive. I will be happy to provide a programming file for you. For the SDS100, I recommend the Remtronix REM-820S antenna.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I would rate my Unication G5 receive reliability and quality slightly better than my SDS radios, BUT they are not nearly as flexible as a true scanning receiver if you plan to listen to multiple agencies and systems. The Unication does have a beta-ish firmware package that mimics some features found on traditional scanners, but I have no experience with that firmware version. The Unications are also challenging to program if you do not know what you are doing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I monitor Harford County on a regular basis and have programmed scanners for a lot of Harford County firefighters. Harford County is a simulcast system. The only radios that will work reliably are the Uniden SDS100/SDS200 scanners and Unication G4/G5 pagers. They are the only ones that will receive the system at my location. Fire, EMS, Sheriff, Bel Air PD, Aberdeen PD, Havre De Grace PD, and Maryland State Police are open to receive. I will be happy to provide a programming file for you. For the SDS100, I recommend the Remtronix REM-820S antenna.

CMARC isn't listed as simulcast in the database. If it is, then do submit that detail to the database...Mike

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Adding to the above, I do not see any specific field in the site details page where simulcast or multicast can be noted. I do see some non-standard entries mentioning simulcast in the site location field. Perhaps the RRDB administrators should consider creating an appropriate field descriptor.

Dogodile

Feed Provider
Harford County feed provider here. I'm working on upgrading the hardware currently. Something switched recently and I no longer receive well. Seems to be using more of the 800mhz alternate control channels than before. I am actively working on it, I just don't have an SDS to magically fix it. Even my previous SDR-Pi Broadcastify calls build is struggling. I will try some relocation, but I have a feeling an SDS is in need along with more SDR's to fix the broadcastify calls system.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Adding to the above, I do not see any specific field in the site details page where simulcast or multicast can be noted. I do see some non-standard entries mentioning simulcast in the site location field. Perhaps the RRDB administrators should consider creating an appropriate field descriptor.

It would be indicated in the site name column such as...

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7214

Mike

Waveform would be a good way to do it, because C4FM is functionally a simulcast-capable waveform but doesn't cause any headache for scanners. CQPSK/LSM is where the headache comes in, and it would be better to differentiate that clearly if the scanner headache is what's being aimed at... just as a .02.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Are all the CMARC sites simulcast?
Harford, Yes
Baltimore/Anne Arundel, Yes
Howard/Carroll, Yes

maus92

Premium Subscriber
AFAIK, all the sites operate in a simulcast configuration as the system was designed as a overlay regional network for mobile users in Central Maryland, but the individual counties license the frequencies used rather than one entity. The Harford site was enhanced by adding additional sites to support portable coverage as it is used as the county's primary public safety communications system. Other regional systems prior to FIRST operated in a multicast mode, and had specific control points that enabled sites as necessary, as is done today with 8TAC channels via MEMA (not sure if WAGIN and MESIN still exist.)

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Harford site was enhanced by adding additional sites to support portable coverage as it is used as the county's primary public safety communications system.
The nine 800 MHz frequencies from the original Harford County Motorola Type II system were incorporated into the Harford County site of the CMARC system.

Status
Not open for further replies.