Harris P25 System coming to Naperville and Aurora?

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
Heard about new information from a close source that a new Harris P25 system is in the works set for Naperville. I didn’t hear any mention directly towards Aurora and I’m unsure if this replaces the OpenSky system for them. Encryption will likely be in set for all of the Naperville PD talkgroups. There is a possibility that the FD talkgroups will also go encrypted as well. If it does, then resources for mutual aid will probably get more difficult. Along with this, changes with the SC21 Patches will possibly occur also.

Bri112233445

Feed Provider
Aurora FD has been testing starcom radios on there patch TG, and Aurora PD patch is always open but it is encrypted, Aurora will probably be going starcom in the future. Naperville fire will probably not encrypt due to the fact that they are already on pulse point and mutual aid is always called for structure fires there SC patch opens all the time I don't see why they would encrypt but who knows I'm just hoping they don't

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
This is actually old news. Yes, the Open Sky system is being deprecated, and it will be replaced with a P25 fully-encrypted system. As stated above, fire will most likely not be encrypted, but we'll know once everything is set in place.

Also, all DuPage County law enforcement entities dispatched by DU-COMM and Addison Consolidated Dispatch Center (ACDC) will be fully encrypted once all the new radios are programmed. Expect this to occur in Q3 or Q4 of 2022.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Talked to one of my former agency guys yesterday. He has not heard a definite timeline for OPEN SKY replacement. Regardless of where Naperville / Aurora go, the PD side will be encrypted. Fire will have some open talk-groups for incoming mutual aid. Funny how most of the interops issues would be solved , if EVERYONE went on Starcom. Other states have done it, but alas in Illinois, politics overrules efficiency.

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
Talked to one of my former agency guys yesterday. He has not heard a definite timeline for OPEN SKY replacement. Regardless of where Naperville / Aurora go, the PD side will be encrypted. Fire will have some open talk-groups for incoming mutual aid. Funny how most of the interops issues would be solved , if EVERYONE went on Starcom. Other states have done it, but alas in Illinois, politics overrules efficiency.

Absolutely with you, I just wish everyone was on the same system and find a way to make it fair for every agency without any problems popping up.

This is actually old news. Yes, the Open Sky system is being deprecated, and it will be replaced with a P25 fully-encrypted system. As stated above, fire will most likely not be encrypted, but we'll know once everything is set in place.

Also, all DuPage County law enforcement entities dispatched by DU-COMM and Addison Consolidated Dispatch Center (ACDC) will be fully encrypted once all the new radios are programmed. Expect this to occur in Q3 or Q4 of 2022.

Hopefully it won’t make any other issues that will come up soon after it gets put out. And yes, I am aware of the encryption for DU-COMM and ACDC as I do know an agency who is fully supportive on placing encryption.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
It's not "an agency," that requested total full-time encryption of law enforcement entities dispatched by DU-COMM and ACDC. A survey was taken a while ago, and the results were 99% of the police chiefs requested full-time encryption. So that's how Motorola programmed them and sold the finished product to the above entities.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Is it confirmed that Aurora is going on StarCom ? Makes sense with Kane/DuPage both on it. Naperville may become an island all by itself

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I was *under the impression* that Aurora and Naperville would "share" the new P25 system because Open Sky was being deprecated. I didn't hear anything in my circles about Aurora going to Starcom21; Is there any credible information on this? Inquiring minds want to know!
Tin-Can-and-String-Telephone.jpg

radio36

You will likely see Aurora stay with L3Harris on a P25 Phase 2 system. They have been exploring an ISSI connection to the Starcom21 system for a little bit, which would allow SC21 radios to roam on Aurora’s system and Aurora’s radios to roam statewide.

Bri112233445

Feed Provider
I was *under the impression* that Aurora and Naperville would "share" the new P25 system because Open Sky was being deprecated. I didn't hear anything in my circles about Aurora going to Starcom21; Is there any credible information on this? Inquiring minds want to know!
View attachment 124764
Nothing official but the PD patch is always open the FD Patch was open when they first got their TGs then they closed it and started testing radios on it, Last time FD was active was in may.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Time will tell. Aurora has been actively building interops with other systems (Kane, DuPage, Kendall etc. ) A great many of their L3 Harris portables have been updated to Phase II.

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
I’ve did another look into this and it has submitted by Naperville PD a couple months ago to have a resolution passed within the new system. Currently, there’s no status whether the resolution passed or not. However the city wanted to paint the water tower from now until Mid 2023 right by Naperville FD Station 6 where the antennas are located at which created an issue and a dangerous risk with the radio equipment covering the southwest part of the city.

City of Naperville - File #: 22-1161

AC6C7AEC-13DC-45E5-8F11-FB6B7926013F.jpeg

Last edited:

officerdave

Retired LEO
Harris 185s are single band only P25 portables. My question is will the two towns build out a L3Harris P25 system and have interops capability on Starcom with surrounding jurisdictions (Kane, DuPage, WesCom etc). Remember every radio on Starcom has to pay for air time (pro- rated by type of use) regardless of how much it is used in a year.

Andy2712

Feed Provider
I heard from a Moto sales guy that they were just out for a demo day at Naperville. It sounds like the new system will go out for RFP probably some time after the first of the year. It could go Harris or Moto, if Moto it could be a stand alone system or joining SC21.

officerdave

Retired LEO
I heard from a Moto sales guy that they were just out for a demo day at Naperville. It sounds like the new system will go out for RFP probably some time after the first of the year. It could go Harris or Moto, if Moto it could be a stand alone system or joining SC21.
Time will tell. From an interops standpoint, I feel that joining SC21 makes the most sense. Naperville/Aurora are now surrounded by SC21 towns (DuPage, Kane, Wescom, Grundy) Yes, I know about patches etc. but they, in my experience, never work as well as being native on a system.

Reactions: JKD