• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris P7100 Programing question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goofy585

Premium Subscriber
Hello there. I read and understand the forum rules here. So here is my question for you guys. Im looking at purchasing one of these amazing radios on ebay to use with my local PD and FD. TO RECEIVE ONLY!! The county I live in is Henry, GA. They are on the EDACS PROVOICE SERVICE. With that said, I have two questions for you guys.

The first question is there anyone on here who would be willing to program this radio for me. Im NOT looking to spend $2500 on software to only program one radio as I will not use it but to listen. And if its even possible to do so LEGALY!.

The second question is there a way that my county can track who receive the frequencys and some how fry my new radio?

I hope I am within the guidelines of this forum. If not please politely let me know so I may fix it.
Thank you in advance.
Chris

LMR_Dude

Chris I cant speak to the programming question.

The disable command is sent to a specific radio ID so the administrators would have to know what LID (LOGical ID) youre using for the command to work. It doesnt "fry" the radio, it forces it to lock itself to the control channel, mute the speaker and not move from there until the radio is reporgrammed with a new ID or the enable command is sent out.

Your radio is going to need a LID programmed to work, the programming software will require it, and if the VALID user of the LID that gets put in your radio is disabled then you get hit with it also.

Im not a fan of duplicating LIDs on trunking systems, whether you never intend to TX or not, and would suggest you buy a scanner instead, just my opinion!

Last edited:

Doink

Goofy585 is partly correct. Yes, you do need to program an LID in the radio even for receive only and without an authorized LID this is known as "ghosting." Ghosting LIDs is a little flakey as it can cause the system to malfunction if say two radios with the same LID show up on different talk groups and different locations. Even though you may set the radio to receive only, the radio will try to login whenever it is turned on or the system/talk group is changed. There is however an option to disable the auto login feature and you could take it even further by going into the maintenance tracking data and zeroing all the tx power and tx modulation values (but back them up first).

Sorry, I also cannot program it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.