Hawai'i County Radio System Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
On your WS1088, would you be willing to share what you are using for the Trunking Tables option on the Site Options tab in EZScan? Do you have it set to "Auto-Fill" or do you have it set to "Custom"? If it is set to Custom, would you be willing to share (perhaps post an image if possible) of the table entries?

I'm wondering if my Pro-668 is not pulling in the trunking tables automatically from the control channel data.

Scan18,
My trunking tables are all set to Autofill at the moment. I might try entering trunking tables to Custom, I'll present the screenshot of the trunking tables I use if it works out or leave at Autofill. I'll keep you posted. It seems that Uniden is doing better than Whistler at the moment.

Is anybody else been getting 800Mhz for VC/CC each talk group as well, I noticed on all the groups monitoring the last couple of days? I also encountered the another encrypted channel for HPD, think the channel is being used for special operations or background/information checks now. I don't know if this correct or not, but picked this up on the HP-2 Today.

Submitted Captain Cook site information, Got a very strong signal from that site today. I ended up upgrading/buying to a yagi antenna and got better results listening to the talkgroups.

Last edited:

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I am not seeing any 800Mhz voice channels popping up if that's what you mean. Are you sure that's not the Maui system you're hearing? That is a 700/800 MHz phase 2 system and I know they do have a few encrypted talk groups.

Anyway, I know I said I wouldn't do this, but since it's so easy to return stuff to Amazon, I ordered a Whistler TRX-1 because I want to see if I have the same issues as I do with the Pro-668. If I can get it to work and I like it better, I will return the BCD436HP I bought last week. If I can't get the Whistler to work, I'll just stick with the Unidens as they seem to be doing quite well on this system.

SCPD

QRT
I am not seeing any 800Mhz voice channels popping up if that's what you mean. Are you sure that's not the Maui system you're hearing? That is a 700/800 MHz phase 2 system and I know they do have a few encrypted talk groups.

Anyway, I know I said I wouldn't do this, but since it's so easy to return stuff to Amazon, I ordered a Whistler TRX-1 because I want to see if I have the same issues as I do with the Pro-668. If I can get it to work and I like it better, I will return the BCD436HP I bought last week. If I can't get the Whistler to work, I'll just stick with the Unidens as they seem to be doing quite well on this system.

I have the Maui System L/O on my HP-2, which is weird. Let me know how the TRX-1 goes, still testing to the custom trunking tables to see if that solves it and finally make use of the Whistler on this island. Only Hawaii County has a hard time listening into. But all other Islands are fine, including Honolulu system.

DeDawg

This will be of intense interest to me, especially your take on the DMA vs. object oriented memory schemes.

When things become a little more clear, I will risk the wrath of the CFO and get something. Was leaning toward the WS-1088 even though I wanted a base model. Suspect a HH will be more convienient if I hear fire sirens and go out back to see and listen to things.

Last edited:

scan18

Premium Subscriber
This will be of intense interest to me, especially your take on the DMA vs. object oriented memory schemes.

When things become a little more clear, I will risk the wrath of the CFO and get something. Was leaning toward the WS-1088 even though I wanted a base model. Suspect a HH will be more convienient if I hear fireengines and go out back to see and listen to things.

Hopefully the TRX-1 should arrive tomorrow, I'll let you know how the testing goes.

As for DMA vs. object oriented, I've had several different models over the years (both Uniden and Radio Shack) and I don't really have a preference. Once you get used to each, I don't think it really matters. However, for base use I tend to prefer Uniden because there are more software options as far as programming and virtual control, etc. The current Whistler lineup is pretty much locked down to using EZScan. And if the Hawaii County system is going to give me this much trouble with the Whister/Radio Shack products, then that will pretty much make up my mind for me. Although, my Pro-668 does receive the Maui Phase 2 system quite well, but I don't listen to that system all that often.

DeDawg

I tend to prefer Uniden because there are more software options as far as programming and virtual control
I use Freescan on my BCT15X, works fine, especially the importing.

My Uniden issues are how easy it is to lock myself out (nothing to scan) by hitting the wrong key combo. Too many decades of banks and all, no doubt. I see the virtues of DMA, just the manipulation of it once programmed.

It has been sounding like a Whistler WS-1088 was the only radio working on the west side so far, hopefully the TRX-1 will also.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
It has been sounding like a Whistler WS-1088 was the only radio working on the west side so far, hopefully the TRX-1 will also.

That's not the impression I was getting from the user in Kona with the WS1088, sounds like they are having better luck with the HP-2, but I could be wrong.

The farthest site to the west that I was able to test was the North Kona site and the BCD436HP had no problems with it. My main test with the TRX-1 will be to see if I have issues with the Honokaa site, since that is the strongest site near my house.

SCPD

QRT
You are correct, the HP-2 is the one bagdeppa has working well. Awfully rich for my income.

Yah I'm no luck at all with the Whistler 1088, but the HP-2 is doing pretty well decoding this system. I'm thinking of returning my Whistler (Thank you Amazon) and going for another Uniden Model instead. I'm going to give the Whistler 1088 till the end of this week, if no results, sending it back.

Scan18, let me know what results you come up with the TRX-1. Going to try Custom Trunking Tables for this system and see if that was the problem. Autofill isn't working so far and neither Standard. I'll keep you posted with the results.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Well, the TRX-1 arrived yesterday and it's behaving similar to my Pro-668. Completely silent. Back it goes to Amazon.

I'll keep checking my Pro-668 once in a while to see if anything changes, but for now I'll be sticking with the Uniden models.

DeDawg

Well, that sucks, Whistlers top of the line scanner.

Watching the spectrum, looks like they are still diddling the system in west Hawaii. Only Ohia Mill and Kailua remain on and strong.

SCPD

QRT
Well, that sucks, Whistlers top of the line scanner.

Watching the spectrum, looks like they are still diddling the system in west Hawaii. Only Ohia Mill and Kailua remain on and strong.

I sent a support request to the Whistler Group and speaking with the techs to see if they have any problems with the scanners in Hawaii and let them know it locks onto the control channel but doesn't receive channels locked onto any one talk group for Hawaii County. They advised me to enter all the voice channels as well for the sites under the frequency and see that solves the issue for it, most of the time need all the voice channels along with control channels to work. I'll give that a try before returning it, hopefully, resolves why Whistler 1088 was having a hard time not automatically decoding the voice channels. Uniden's seem to do that perfectly fine. We will see how this goes.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I've tried with all the voice channels programmed, that doesn't help for me. I have a bug report in to Whistler and provided a log file. They said they see the activity in the log, but it is not activating the voice channel for some reason. One possible reason is because the scanner is not decoding the system id and the NAC. I asked if there is any setting I can adjust for that or if it is out of my control. Will see what they say.

SCPD

QRT
I've tried with all the voice channels programmed, that doesn't help for me. I have a bug report in to Whistler and provided a log file. They said they see the activity in the log, but it is not activating the voice channel for some reason. One possible reason is because the scanner is not decoding the system id and the NAC. I asked if there is any setting I can adjust for that or if it is out of my control. Will see what they say.

Yup, Nothing as well with voice channels programmed. I'm going to try downgrading the firmware on the 1088 and see if the previous firmware was decoding voice channels fine and locking onto a site. I think that's the only drawback with Whistler, not having that ability to decode the System ID and NAC like the Uniden Models do well, I'll definitely send my activity report as well to them. Other than that, Hawaii County is the only system that is not picking up right, but Kona Airport Authority and Maui County P25 systems sound just fine on the Whistler 1088. I'll give the downgrade a try as well, see if this works.

SCPD

QRT
So for those who are looking at the Whistler brand of scanners: I spoke with a few others about the Whistler brand and they advised that it will have a harder time with decoding a P25 System with Multiple sites/simulcast system and easier time with a system with a single site (i.e. Kona & Hilo International Airport Authorities). Uniden's are able to decode this type of system well. I'm still awaiting a reply from Whistler Group to see if they are going to issue a firmware update to enable decoding of P25 Systems that are Multiple sites or simulcast.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
So for those who are looking at the Whistler brand of scanners: I spoke with a few others about the Whistler brand and they advised that it will have a harder time with decoding a P25 System with Multiple sites/simulcast system and easier time with a system with a single site (i.e. Kona & Hilo International Airport Authorities). Uniden's are able to decode this type of system well. I'm still awaiting a reply from Whistler Group to see if they are going to issue a firmware update to enable decoding of P25 Systems that are Multiple sites or simulcast.

I'm no expert, but I disagree with the issue having to do with multiple sites. All the testing I have have been doing is against one site at a time. I never scan multiple sites. Also, this is not a linear simulcast system. A linear simulcast system is when you have multiple sites in one area using the exact same frequencies. That is not the case with this system. The Maui system is really no different, multiple sites using different frequencies except that system is 700/800 MHz. The TRX-1 and the Pro-668/WS1080 have no trouble with that system.

I'm not saying that what you posted above is incorrect when it comes to Whistler vs. Uniden and the issues with simulcast and such. I just don't believe that is the issue we are seeing related to this new VHF system.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Update on the the Whistler issue... they sent me some test firmware to load to the TRX-1 and it seems to work. I am now able to receive the new system, seems to be working fairly well. Not sure exactly what the issue was, but obviously the update is allowing the TRX-1 to recognize and decode the system. So hopefully this will be seen in a future firmware upgrade for all the Whistler phase 2 scanners.

Now I need to decide whether to keep the TRX-1 or return it and keep the BCD436HP. I don't want to keep both, can't really justify the expense as I don't really need 2 portables. I think the BCD436HP sounds a little better, the TRX-1 audio is a little more "tinny". But the TRX-1 is more rugged and I like it better for portable use. I still have about a week or so before the return deadline for the BCD436HP.

SCPD

QRT
Update on the the Whistler issue... they sent me some test firmware to load to the TRX-1 and it seems to work. I am now able to receive the new system, seems to be working fairly well. Not sure exactly what the issue was, but obviously the update is allowing the TRX-1 to recognize and decode the system. So hopefully this will be seen in a future firmware upgrade for all the Whistler phase 2 scanners.

Now I need to decide whether to keep the TRX-1 or return it and keep the BCD436HP. I don't want to keep both, can't really justify the expense as I don't really need 2 portables. I think the BCD436HP sounds a little better, the TRX-1 audio is a little more "tinny". But the TRX-1 is more rugged and I like it better for portable use. I still have about a week or so before the return deadline for the BCD436HP.

Same thing with my 1088, Whistler sent me a beta firmware for me to try to download for the 1088 (after their firmware downgrades didn't work and other suggestions by other forum members was a waste of time for me to even try) and now actually hearing without touching any of the settings. I also got in the Unication G5 the other day and put the 2 side by side and noticed the G5 catches all voice transmission and 1088 partially receives the same transmission. HP-2 seemed a little more delayed from the 1088 when it came to voice transmissions. But sound quality for me, G5 sounds great, with the 1088 being next and the HP-2 last. I might do away with my HP-2 since getting the G5, I don't know really if you can compare the two scanners to it as it was built for the system. (That's just my opinion)

Anyone else getting new talk groups as well, I noticed a few earlier this morning with the 1088.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Same thing with my 1088, Whistler sent me a beta firmware for me to try to download for the 1088 (after their firmware downgrades didn't work and other suggestions by other forum members was a waste of time for me to even try) and now actually hearing without touching any of the settings. I also got in the Unication G5 the other day and put the 2 side by side and noticed the G5 catches all voice transmission and 1088 partially receives the same transmission. HP-2 seemed a little more delayed from the 1088 when it came to voice transmissions. But sound quality for me, G5 sounds great, with the 1088 being next and the HP-2 last. I might do away with my HP-2 since getting the G5, I don't know really if you can compare the two scanners to it as it was built for the system. (That's just my opinion)

Anyone else getting new talk groups as well, I noticed a few earlier this morning with the 1088.

Wait, I thought the G5 wasn't capable of receiving Phase 2? Everything I've been reading indicates that is planned for later this year, but is not available yet.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Now you've got me thinking... I may return both the BCD436HP and TRX-1 and get a G5. Even though it's not supposed to be able to do Phase 2 TDMA yet, I'm willing to wait. If you don't mind me asking, where did you order your G5 from?

Status
Not open for further replies.