Heavy Western Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastie

I'm getting a transmission on 27.02500 CB Band right now (11:05am) of man with a heavy western accent. He is talking but I cant hear the other side of the conversation. "Keep it cool, keep it goin'. Down right with it know, there ya go. Keeeeep it goin." I am in Boston.. Is it possible to hear someone from Texas, Kentucky or anywhere with that type of distance?

Drowsiness

Sounds like some skip. What is the signal strength like?

When I was into CB radio, I used to talk skip all the time... even reached someone from Alaska once. So it is not really unusual at all.

Eastie

The signal strength is from 2 to 4 bars. I have a Pro-164.

They have now switched to 27.28500.

That is amazing that it could be from so far away.

Eastie

Sounds like some skip. What is the signal strength like?

When I was into CB radio, I used to talk skip all the time... even reached someone from Alaska once. So it is not really unusual at all.

What is "Skip"?

I am some what of a n00b :)

Drowsiness

Skip is basically when radio signals get bounced off of the ionosphere instead of traveling off into space. It allows you to communicate a lot of the time with other countries or states. As you experienced with it, you usually only hear one side of a conversation, especially if the person they are speaking to is in a low area or something.

I live near the ocean here, as you do, so Skip is strong when this happens. On my CB, the signal meter would swing in and out, but the modulation would be constant. To me, that was always a good sign that the person was a good distance away.

SCPD

QRT
I talked to a guy in Roswell New Mexico one time on my CB way back when from here in Va Beach. Back then EVERYONE had a CB and I had to get a lic. now you dont need one.

Mark

raisindot

My Satellit 800 SW radio with a little windup wire antenna stuck out the dinwos picks a gigantic slew of CB stuff day and night here in Natick. (Oddly enough, my two scanners, using duckie antennas, can't pick it up at all)

Every single CBer I hear has either a western or southern accent. I've never head one with a midwest or northern accent. Which makes me wonder whether 1) they are all skip signal from south of the Mason Dixon line or 2) Only southerners and westerners up here in NE use them (maybe they're all truckers, since I live only a mile away from the Mass Pike?)

Jeff

Drowsiness

My Satellit 800 SW radio with a little windup wire antenna stuck out the dinwos picks a gigantic slew of CB stuff day and night here in Natick. (Oddly enough, my two scanners, using duckie antennas, can't pick it up at all)

Every single CBer I hear has either a western or southern accent. I've never head one with a midwest or northern accent. Which makes me wonder whether 1) they are all skip signal from south of the Mason Dixon line or 2) Only southerners and westerners up here in NE use them (maybe they're all truckers, since I live only a mile away from the Mass Pike?)

Jeff

You could just be picking up a lot of trucker traffic. 8 out of 10 times they have southern/western accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.