Helo Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
dintimid8or said:
155.340 and 155.400 are common frequencies for EMS. They can be used by medical command to field units, aeromedical to ground or mutual aid EMS units.

155.160 / 155.340 is the most common. 155.400 as I understand is designated for snowshoe.

The 160 and 340 freqs land helicopters, are used to talk to medical command and give patient reports/facility destination.

Helo one and helo 2, i am not familiar with, but CAMC choppers use the callsign Healthnet-one and healthnet-two and Healthnet-three. And again 160 or 340 is the freqs that they are most communicated with.

Mutual aid..Possibly, I guess if you were close. As with the med channels = no repeater system.

FF-Medic - - -

SLWilson

Training

I didn't read "every thread" here, but, we use Healthnet in our area (SE Ohio) frequently.

The majority of what I read on page 1 and 2 of the threads could be cleared up with training and PRACTICE.

When you are deep in the middle of it, is NOT the time to learn how to use your radio, how to patch or connect one system to another!

Do that when you aren't under ANY pressure.

Train with the hekicopter companies. They're GLAD to do that!!!!! It's even FREE!!!

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

Attachments

• MedFlt3.jpg
    MedFlt3.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 108
  • MedFlt2.jpg
    MedFlt2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 109
  • MedFlt1.JPG
    MedFlt1.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 108

SLWilson

Not sure, but....

w4rez said:
Does Wulfsberg or any other manufacturer make P25 radios that will work in a helo? I don't think it's possible to simply stick a Moto mobile in a helicopter and make it work....

The regional medical command radio system is quite extensive in WV. I'm not sure who owns/finances it, but I don't see why it would be so difficult to make it possible to patch .340 and maybe even med channels (or at least Med/Call 9 and 10) to a TG on the interop system, so that those that do not have access to P25 equipment have access to the system in the event that they need it. If nothing else, this could be implemented as an interim measure until the entire state is equipped with radios that are compatible with the Interop trunked system, if this ever happens.

Not sure what the radio type is (I know it's expensive) but, in ONE radio MedFlight has the Ohio MARCS system, they fly into W.Va. frequently. They talk to the hospitals in Huntington AND Charleston.

The same radio can be set up to operate on low band, hi band, and they have the AEP EDACS system set up in it. So, the equipment IS out there...

Steve/KB8FAR

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
SLWilson said:
Not sure what the radio type is (I know it's expensive) but, in ONE radio MedFlight has the Ohio MARCS system, they fly into W.Va. frequently. They talk to the hospitals in Huntington AND Charleston.

The same radio can be set up to operate on low band, hi band, and they have the AEP EDACS system set up in it. So, the equipment IS out there...

Steve/KB8FAR

Yeah. Healthnet at CAMC ; Chas, wv has basically the same thing. They can dial / punch in the freq. The only catch is is no Pls allowed.

Most generally, as i stated above...everyone uses the 340 or 160 as the LZ contact. There are some poor volunteer departments out there that do not have the money to upgrade, and are still use lowband. I guess the government better get a hint huh. New spectrum, new band allocations. Where is all the money going to come from?????

Personally...I miss 39 MHZ. One department I knew crossbanded...and it worked great. Low band was terrific on simplex...Duplex on VHF high. Not one communication problem.

Kind of like the CPR standard. It changes from year to year to year to year. Agencys have trouble communicating with each other now. VHF low-VHF High - 800 mhz - P25. Geeze.

But you all are right. I guess Motorola is smiling. Federal Government and the state and local level contracts. Their smiles are probably going to permanently crease their face. GE, Vertex, Kenwood, Johnson, MA/Com don't have a chance. It is like a pair of jeans. You are not paying for the denium...you are paying for the label. But still.......I am a vertex type of guy. Although my Kenwoods serve me well.

FF-Medic - - - - - -

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Gilligan said:
What is the PL tone for Berkeley County medical? Can someone submit these channels?

Also, which helos actually use these channels? Medevac?

Basic description (helo landing zone ops, etc..)
468.000 LICENSE? MO xxx.x PL HELO 1 FM
468.025 LICENSE? MO xxx.x PL HELO 2 FM

PL of 151.4

SLWilson

New equipment !

ff-medic said:
Yeah. Healthnet at CAMC ; Chas, wv has basically the same thing. They can dial / punch in the freq. The only catch is is no Pls allowed. FF-Medic - - - - - -

The one MedFlight uses lets them pre-program PL's in it....

ff-medic said:
... Personally...I miss 39 MHZ. One department I knew crossbanded...and it worked great. Low band was terrific on simplex...Duplex on VHF high. Not one communication problem. FF-Medic - - - - - -

We STILL have one fire department operating on low band here !!!!

ff-medic said:
But you all are right. I guess Motorola is smiling. Federal Government and the state and local level contracts. Their smiles are probably going to permanently crease their face. GE, Vertex, Kenwood, Johnson, MA/Com don't have a chance. It is like a pair of jeans. You are not paying for the denium...you are paying for the label. But still.......I am a vertex type of guy. Although my Kenwoods serve me well.

FF-Medic - - - - - -

I run Vertex (Yaesu) for my Amateur equipment....

Steve/KB8FAR

SLWilson

Nightmare though....

mike_s104 said:
The only way I can think of to make sure you monitor most comms, add a system with all the common EMS freqs like the med channels.

This is a good idea in theory, but, in practice, what happens is, during an "event" everything but what you are dealing with gets turned down or "tuned out" by the dispatchers!

Best thing to do is make sure the field guys KNOW how their stuff works.

Make sure you are clear to Medcom when you call for the Helo what freq/PL or whatever the ground units will be on.

And, TEST with the ground crews before the helo is in the area...

Steve/KB8FAR :(

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
SLWilson said:
This is a good idea in theory, but, in practice, what happens is, during an "event" everything but what you are dealing with gets turned down or "tuned out" by the dispatchers!

Best thing to do is make sure the field guys KNOW how their stuff works.

Make sure you are clear to Medcom when you call for the Helo what freq/PL or whatever the ground units will be on.

And, TEST with the ground crews before the helo is in the area...

Steve/KB8FAR :(

true for being part of the situation but I was talking about from a monitoring standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.