Help identify this frequency...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Hey there,
Need help identifying comms I'm hearing on 129.8500MHz in Jax, FL.
What I often hear is a pilot giving an ETA for his flight of up to an hour or so and then mentioning that he'll need so many wheelchairs, sometimes 1 chair, sometimes up to five.
This is the basic transmission I hear on this freq. Just tonight I heard similar comms on 122.8500 for the first time.

I'm not new to monitoring air, but I never noticed these transmissions before. I know this isn't an ARTCC freq (not listed as one and doesn't sound like one, either) and it's not listed for any of the surrounding airports but I'm imagining it's communications to Jax Intl.

Any ideas?
Just now as I'm typing my thoughts I'm thinking it's an airline frequency, I hear Citrus alot....hmm, dunno.

DavidNVA

Hey Brewkelyn,

What you are hearing are the pilots calling the gate agents to prepare them for their arrival. They will notify them of their expected time of arrival, any special needs such a wheelchairs, unaccompanied minors, late connecting passengers, etc. In addition the gate agents will pass on any gate change information along with any other information that the crew should be made aware of prior to landing.

Hope this helps!
-David

cookiend15

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
122.850 & 129.850 Aircraft Frequencies

Hello fellow scanner

According to a chart I have this is what it say's

122.850 is listed as a Unicom Frequency

129.850 is listed as a Airline Company Air-To-Ground frequency

I hope that this helps

Chris

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Yeah, that helps, thanks everybody!! :D
I know now Citrus is code for AirTran and AirTran I believe is a big carrier here in JIA.

I'm still surprised I never heard these little chats to gate agents.
I guess since I got my BR330T a few months ago I've been searching a lot more in the Civil and Milair bands for new hits and man have I got them.

The two years that I had my Pro-97 I don't think I got more than 1 hit searching thru milair. But with the BR330T I search with 100k steps and bingo, I have at least 13 unidentified hits. Of course, I check these hits against my database of UHF freqs incl. Jax Center, FACSFAC, Coast Grd, and all the navy bases in my area to make sure these aren't dupes. Most are probably air 2 air.

Anyway, I never paid any mind to programming in airline freq's but I will search for them now on the net and see if I can get any other pilot 2 gate traffic for my area.
I think I'm turning into a programming freak, I enjoy it alot.
Thanks again....

EDIT: I've seen this page before some time ago...now I know the freq range to search for airlines.
http://www.freqofnature.com/index.php?m=Aviation Monitoring&p=Airline Frequencies

Last edited:

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Brewkelyn said:
But with the BR330T I search with 100k steps and bingo, I have at least 13 unidentified hits.
I think you would be missing a lot of frequencies, if you just scan in 100K steps. I am sure the Aeronautical Band in your country is at least 50 KHz steps, and maybe even down to 25 KHz steps, or am I misinterpreting your post.

Comint

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Comint said:
I think you would be missing a lot of frequencies, if you just scan in 100K steps. I am sure the Aeronautical Band in your country is at least 50 KHz steps, and maybe even down to 25 KHz steps, or am I misinterpreting your post.

Comint
You're absolutely right. :)
I was just highlighting the ability of the 330T to change the steps when searching a particular band unlike the 97. By searching at 100Khz step I search thru the band a lot quicker and am more likely to get a hit. There are many freq's at 100KHz step, I was surprised how many when I looked at my database. BUT I do have a custom search setup for Milair at 50KHz and 25KHz step as well. So I search these too, just not as often.

BTW...I searched the range for the Airlines (128.85 MHz- 132 MHz) last night and got at least 10 hits and as I read, the comms were alot less formal, some joking around and stuff.

edweirdFL

It could be for JAX, but you might also be hearing aircraft headed for Orlando, Tampa, Daytona, or other airports. Often the transmission will start with the plane calling "Orlando Ops" or something where they say the name of the airport.

If you hear both sides of the conversation, then it's almost certainly the local airport.

Ed

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
You should always search in 25kHz steps or 8.33 if you live over here. The BR330T searches so fast you don't really need to worry about it.

But I guess doing it in 100kHz will make it faster...?

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Napalm said:
You should always search in 25kHz steps or 8.33 if you live over here. The BR330T searches so fast you don't really need to worry about it.

But I guess doing it in 100kHz will make it faster...?
Yep, 4x faster than 25KHz steps but again you're skipping those freq's that end with .X250, .X500 and .X750.
For VHF air I search 25KHz step so not to miss anything, but since the Military band is so large I alternate the step I use in searching.

I was curious so I counted up my UHF air freqs and I have 170 total in my database.
Out of those 170 freqs, 123 end with a 100KHz step...for example, 281.000, 360.200.
So that's where the majority of the action seems to be anyway for milair.
So might as well narrow the search and increase your chances of getting a hit.

I love the 330T for this feature!

EDIT: In my earlier post (#5) I realize I switched gears a little bit. I was talking about searching the airlines Air-Gnd freqs mostly. Then I switched to milair searching on the 330 and that's the only time when I use the 100k step....in case I'm causing any confusion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.