Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I think it would be great if they would work on uses for the usb port in the back to access to the SDR I guess that is for. I know a British guy did a hack. but hopefully there is more capability there. I also would like to know what the USB host port on the front is for

That is part of UPMan's roadmap we are still trying to find. I think I know some of the intent, but that will have to await confirmation by the engineers. I do not wish to speculate publicly at this time.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
While we are on the "wish list" kick, maybe it's possible to make a scanner like the 996P2 that uses the SDR tech, with roughly the same interface, for those of us that don't need all the "bells and whistles" of the SDS 100/200. The 996P2 is easy to adjust on fly (locking/unlocking systems). Maybe I'm just too old school, but I like things simple.

That part of UPMan's roadmap he did share with me. You are very much over the target. I can't say when that might happen, but it is on the radar.

MSK_495

That part of UPMan's roadmap he did share with me. You are very much over the target. I can't say when that might happen, but it is on the radar.
I would like to see an SDR scanner in 396XT format. Antenna connector sma male. And charging format 2A. :)

garys

Premium Subscriber
I have a friend that covers the TPMS light when he has snow tires on. He's too, uh, frugal, to put the sensors in the wheels.

My uncle used to do that over the Check-Engine light on his car! :cool:

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
It has been discussed, but not by me. There is a mod that was developed by a forum member that reportedly fixes it completely. This is probably the one you referenced. We are researching this and I hope that change, once proven, is incorporated into production.

This is one of the top issues I would like to see resolved because the SDS series is too good to let that continue. I consider the SDS series UPMan's crowning achievement.
I suppose, if anyone performs that mod themselves have voided their warranty if, still within the coverage period?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Exactly the type of info I was looking for.

On the change of tag, I was thinking this scenario:

Unit 1234 IDs as Engine 1. At some later point, that radio is swapped out to Squad 1 and the tag changed accordingly in the radio programming. Does the scanner than display the saved tag (Engine 1) or the decoded tag (Squad 1)?

I understand what you mean now. No..it will remain as I saved it, however if Engine 1 was on the display and Squad 1 was now identifying as the radio, I would edit the UID.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I would like to see an SDR scanner in 396XT format. Antenna connector sma male. And charging format 2A. :)

Assuming you are serious (given the smiley I'm not sure)...

SDR takes a lot of power. I don't see how we can fit the SDS100 guts and battery in a 396 size case. Of course technology is always improving. There may also be heat dissipation issues.

The antenna change would be a hard sell. It means adding another SKU of antennas and adapters since none of the existing ones are compatible. There would have to be a very compelling reason for the change. Not saying it can't happen - just saying it would not be easy to justify.

Charging 2A - maybe. It's possible with recent USB specs. And I expect all near future models to be charged via USB (and perhaps other methods).

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I suppose, if anyone performs that mod themselves have voided their warranty if, still within the coverage period?

That I cannot say. More accurately, I do not know. If I did know I could say and would say. ;)

I suppose I would have to agree it would void it until I was told otherwise.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It has been discussed, but not by me. There is a mod that was developed by a forum member that reportedly fixes it completely. This is probably the one you referenced. We are researching this and I hope that change, once proven, is incorporated into production.

This is one of the top issues I would like to see resolved because the SDS series is too good to let that continue. I consider the SDS series UPMan's crowning achievement.
I have an early production SDS200, but have managed to dodge the hum. Reading StaticDischarge's fix, stripping away the excess insulating lacquer creates a better ground & negates the hum issue. I suspect that for some of the units, without the hum, they were assembled when the lacquer had not completely dried & hardened, so possibly, when the things were cinched down, it was still soft enough that it was squeezed out enough to establish the grounding circuit.

daddyjohn

So please help me understand something correctly Joe Bearcat. There's been a lot of discussion about adding nxdn/dmr to the Homepatrol 2. My question to you as a Uniden Rep., does the HP 2 even have the hardware capability for nxdn/dmr upgrades? Sorry if you've discussed this before and I missed it.
I personally would love to see Uniden release a Home Patrol 3.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
IIRC, UPMan stated that the HomePatrols didn't have the hardware needed to add DMR and NXDN to their firmware, and that's why it wasn't done back when those modes were first added to the x36 models.

MSK_495

Assuming you are serious (given the smiley I'm not sure)...

SDR takes a lot of power. I don't see how we can fit the SDS100 guts and battery in a 396 size case. Of course technology is always improving. There may also be heat dissipation issues.

The antenna change would be a hard sell. It means adding another SKU of antennas and adapters since none of the existing ones are compatible. There would have to be a very compelling reason for the change. Not saying it can't happen - just saying it would not be easy to justify.

Charging 2A - maybe. It's possible with recent USB specs. And I expect all near future models to be charged via USB (and perhaps other methods).
And in what format can it come out? Maybe in 325p2 format? I wish it were smaller than the SDS100. 2A and I meant that it worked on 2A accumulator :)

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
The audio AGC is also, in my opinion, of no value in my 436. When someone swallows or screams in the mic it about blows the speaker out, when they whisper it is not heard if there is any background noise around me. My Psr 800 levels it out fine. I hope this can be addressed in the x36 when addressed for the SDS models.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Agreed, and that is something that was pressed for in the beta test group.

Personally, I agree and I know it can be added (because pre-production it was there). It was removed due to the recessed keyboard being harder to accidentally press (harder, but not impossible as we both know well).

Since it was removed it might be more difficult to re-add, but it's not like any other feature uses that key combo. The biggest issue might be resistance might be due to the absence of reference in the manual. (a valid point)

But yes, I will press for its addition - even if it is accompanied by a hidden menu to enable it.

If you don't ask, you probably won't get. But you were not the first to ask and I'm sure won't be the last.

Then I will point out the second part of the benefit. When the keypad on the 436 is locked, the MFK on top can be set to ONLY adjust volume. This is an additional win for those of us that never use the MFK for any other reason 99% of the time.

lu81fitter

SDS996P2 has a nice ring to it!! With the same size chassis, it would be good for desktop and mobile. (although some cars nowadays have a little less room and someone will bring up the remote head option) It will be increasingly difficult for me to buy cars since I opt for ones without center consoles. The days of the old Buick LeSabre are gone. My last work car ended up being an old Chevy Impala police car. It was cheap, and I drive a lot of miles, so it's easy to throw away when it wears out. But I digress. SDS996P2 would be nice! (y)

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Does Department 0 need to stay on all the time on the SDS100?

So this might be silly operator comprehension error, but I hope I explain this OK. Apologies in advance if this was brought up before, too.

I have my Quick Keys set up this way:
Favorite List: 0
System: 0
Departments: 0,1,2,3,4,5 etc

I can turn Departments on and off with ..1, ..2, ..3 etc but what I have found is that if I ever turn off Department 0, with ..0, I am greeted with "Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan" and it turns off all scanning on that Favorite list? The only way I can turn things back on is with 0.0.00, which turns back on and everything goes back to normal.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
So please help me understand something correctly Joe Bearcat. There's been a lot of discussion about adding nxdn/dmr to the Homepatrol 2. My question to you as a Uniden Rep., does the HP 2 even have the hardware capability for nxdn/dmr upgrades? Sorry if you've discussed this before and I missed it.
I personally would love to see Uniden release a Home Patrol 3.

I did mention this before, but with all the activity it was easy to miss. I do not know if the HP-2 has the required hardware. That can be checked on and if it has it there will be a discussion about adding other modes.

I have a related question (concept question that came up in the very early stages of a model design), but I will add that as a separate topic since it will likely have a lot of feedback (I hope). I will post that this evening.

HP-3? Yes, I hope to see that too. One possibility is if the HP-2 does not have the above hardware, that might justify a HP-3 that has that hardware. There are some other things that would justify it as well but the HP-2 is a great unit for beginners. Many expert users have come to appreciate it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.