Help needed for Pro-46 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebus29

I purchased a Radio Shack Pro-46 hand-held scannerat a garage sale for a neighbor kid who is pretty interested in scanning. He was thrilled when I gave it to him and I had him go buy some batteries (interestingly enough -- the batteries cost me more than the scanner did). He came back and told me that he didn't know how the batteries went into the radio.

The problem was obvious -- the container (clip? holder? insert?) into which you place the AA batteries was missing. RS is absolutely no help for us and I am at a loss. Does anybody have one of these which you would sell or contribute to this kid? Or perhaps there is some other solution for my problem? I would like to get him scanning and I can't afford buying him a more expensive scanner. Many Thanks!

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
An immediate fix would be to purchase an AC/DC ADAPTER.

I found this info on the net and within a Radio Shack Q/A page.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/communications/cfq-2000305.htm

This requires a 9V, 300 mA (minimum) adapter set to tip negative. The 273-1767 AC/DC adapter meets these requirements and comes with your choice of one free adaptaplug. The 273-1767 AC/DC adapter meets these requirements and comes with your choice of one free plug (plug "H", Cat. No. 273-1711).

The reference numbers for the power adapter cannot be found on Radio Shack however there is this one which should work...

9VDC/300mA AC Adapter
$15.99
Model: MU03-F1090-A00A
Catalog #: 273-027

With the purchase of the power adapter you will get the "H" plug free.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...kw=ac+adapter&kw=ac+adapter&parentPage=search

Here's a link to the Radio Shack Pro-46 manuals.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/8558.htm

There should be two power jacks on the radio. One marked Chg and one marked Pwr. Use the Pwr jack and that should work fine. You might have Radio Shack test the adapter in the scanner to make sure that the scanner even works.

Good Luck

Last edited:

KC0QNB

I bought a "universal" power supply at wally world for mine cheaper and smaller than the rs one I replaced, be sure to use the 9 volt setting, it is a switching type works well, and is less "noisy" than the older rs unit
I would check to see if the radio works first, but then, we all know wally worlds return policy. I bought my PRO46 new back in the early '90s, it has always worked and has good ears.

Don_Burke

The problem was obvious -- the container (clip? holder? insert?) into which you place the AA batteries was missing. RS is absolutely no help for us and I am at a loss. Does anybody have one of these which you would sell or contribute to this kid? Or perhaps there is some other solution for my problem? I would like to get him scanning and I can't afford buying him a more expensive scanner. Many Thanks!
I just looked at my Pro-46 and the battery carrier is different than what is used on the current scanners.

The power adapter is probably your best bet, but you might luck out if you catch someone at RS who can get a battery carrier through Radio Shack Unlimited. Most of the sales associates will not be familiar with RSU, so it may take a manager at a slow time to get this done, if it can be done.

KC0QNB

Wasn't the PRO-46 made by Uniden? I know mine was far smaller than the GRE made units at the time.
I found a part number, 10657716 BATTERY HOLDER HB1158
and a toll free number 1-800-843-7422 good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.