Help Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzebra008

I am kind of new to this so please don't think this is dumb but could someone help me understand this:

Frequency - I know this is the channel that a certain PD, FD, ect operates on.

Input - I know this is the repeater but do I need this number as well?

Tone - ? No clue

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You do not need the input frequencies. The tones are optional as well, but come in handy to filter out other agencies using the same frequency, if that becomes a problem.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Frequency - I know this is the channel that a certain PD, FD, ect operates on.

Input - I know this is the repeater but do I need this number as well?

Tone - ? No clue
Typically, radios transmit on a frequency which is received by a "repeater" and retransmitted on another frequency. In that case, you'll want to be monitoring the repeater output frequency. There are situations, like with taxicabs, where no repeater is involved. This is called a "duplex" channel; and the base is on one frequency and all the mobiles are on another frequency. This is also how the California Highway Patrol radios work. When you want to monitor an agency like this, you'll need to program in both frequencies, but you'll have to be close to the mobiles to hear them.

Many agencies transmit a sub-audible tone. This helps avoid interference from nearby radios on the same frequency. There are two major types of tones; CTCSS (CT or PL) and DC. Check the Wiki for lots more on this topic: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/PL

xzebra008

To Sum it all up?

Do I use then both the Frequency and Input numbers if there are 2 listed?

xzebra008

Kent County Michigan

Freq - 155.01000 Input - 158.97000

167.9 PL F-1 Sheriff - North Dispatch FM Law Dispatch

af5rn

Just the freq. You don't need to enter the input to hear the system. Some people enter the input frequencies into a separate location so that they can listen to transmissions before they go through the repeater. That's not a common thing, but it's a good tool for telling you how close a unit is to you. Nothing you want to worry about at this stage.

You will ONLY need the main frequency for all the channels you are programming. Forget about the inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.