• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help tuning co-phase antenna

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Well, I came across some old moddeling I did and a shot of the field. this is just the antenna with ideal ground, but the 3D shows that field
you may get with a tilt. Just some slight differences mounted on truck mirrors.

The big truck mirror-mount problem is reflect off the cab, sometimes the stacks.

15-20/degrees forward max is “vertical”. After that things start downhill. I didn’t pay for 44” lower shafts for nothing.

The A-pillars on today’s trucks (as with cars/pickups) are huge. And the firewalls are double-plate. The older large cars (389, here) are still 1990s type, generally.

The Peterbilt hoop now in use (versus West Coast arms) still probably needs to be jumped by an RF Bond from within the cab side, upper & lower.

On the Plains it’s an easy assumption that a radio sounding loud & clear is likeliest a Pete 379/389 or a Kenworth W900 as the all-aluminum body provides an excellent ground plane.

Owner-operators hauling cattle, flatbeds, tankers to service AG business. Then there’s OVERSIZE and accompanying vehicles. Plus long-term fleet drivers.

IMG_4860.jpeg

Last edited:

merlin

It was an older version of SimSmith, but since, I upgraded to SimNEC and won't read my old files.
Quite easy just to start over, as this is moddeling software. Time consuming though, A lot of stuff goes into any form of antenna, feedline and such.

merlin

The big truck mirror-mount problem is reflect off the cab, sometimes the stacks.

15-20/degrees forward max is “vertical”. After that things start downhill. I didn’t pay for 44” lower shafts for nothing.

The A-pillars on today’s trucks (as with cars/pickups) are huge. And the firewalls are double-plate. The older large cars (389, here) are still 1990s type, generally.

The Peterbilt hoop now in use (versus West Coast arms) still probably needs to be jumped by an RF Bond from within the cab side, upper & lower.

On the Plains it’s an easy assumption that a radio sounding loud & clear is likeliest a Pete 379/389 or a Kenworth W900 as the all-aluminum body provides an excellent ground plane.

Owner-operators hauling cattle, flatbeds, tankers to service AG business. Then there’s OVERSIZE and accompanying vehicles. Plus long-term fleet drivers.

View attachment 163956
I have to disagree a bit, as any part of the truck (vehicle) is real ground where the moddeling is concerned. That slight difference I mentiond is more real world, and you won't find any two the same. A lot more to this than you know.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Real world, actually, the oposite it true.
Something like a backhoe on a flatbed, non grounded, could be mapped as parasytic.

The difference is noticeable. In favor of upright (in my experience running cophase). Range is affected. The guys running 30-degrees and more fade out.

That’s all I’ll have to say on it.

Would like that we could test it on a big truck with more precision.

Joshwyle

So my CB recieved far away but doesn’t transmit but about a hundred feet. My swr last checked was 1.1. I used an 18’ cable as my jumper because I had it. Could that be the problem? Is my CB bad? Could my mic cause short transmission? Cobra classic 29 ltd. It’s what came with the truck. I hv 2 of the same radios and can swap but if it’s likely the mic then I’d hate to swap for no reason. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

W4AXW

A keeper of the SSB flame
I haven't read every post but I haven't seen a mention of what coax harness the OP is using. If it's any form of the OEM coax and connectors/connections then it's time to replace it with a decent RG59 75ohm harness. Truck manufacturers use absolutely garbage coax and make very bad, high impedance connections that will cause a litany of issues.

If I missed a post about coax then please excuse.................

7 3

jcrmadden

From the article above...

"If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short."

Thanks for the post @KC5AKB !