Help USB-1 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

techynyc

If anyone in the RI area has a USB-1 cable for programming a Uniden 396XT scanner could you message me.
I am trying to help an old Vietnam Vet program a 396XT scanner but he doesn't have this cable and its back-ordered for months.
I just need it for connecting to ProScan and than uploading frequencies. Promise you'll get it back.
If you come down to hand out with us we'll buy you breakfast and give your a tour of all his radios and scanners.

Techynyc

techynyc

Only cable they have is the power/charging cable. They don't have any other cable.
In order to program this radio I need Uniden's proprietary USB-1 cable.

mancow

Database Admin
No idea why people are being all tistic about this. I have the cable. Send me your address (via private message) and I'll ship it to you to borrow.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Who are "THEY" ? You need either cable listed above.
-
Re-read the OP’s first post. He’s programming the radio for somebody else and they stated that the only cable they had was the power cable.

Neither of the two cables listed above your post will work without the original Uniden serial programming cable that came with that scanner… which he stated he does not have.

Thanks to mancow for stepping up.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Mancow beat me to it, but I also have one (somewhere) that you can even just have if you want it. (I have to find it in my cable drawer in my office.)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My father used to call this "making a mountain out of a mole hill."

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
Depends on if your computer has a 'serial' port if NOT you need 'usb to micro usb' connecto. Look at page 56 of manual.
Laptops newer do not have serial ports, some of newer desktops do not have a 'built-in' serial port, you can get a PCIe expansion card for your newer desk top, or just get a 'usb to micro usb' cable.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Depends on if your computer has a 'serial' port if NOT you need 'usb to micro usb' connecto. Look at page 56 of manual.
Laptops newer do not have serial ports, some of newer desktops do not have a 'built-in' serial port, you can get a PCIe expansion card for your newer desk top, or just get a 'usb to micro usb' cable.
-
Once again..... A micro USB connector on the scanner end of the cable cable will NOT work. The BCD396XT does not have a USB micro socket on it.

The cable in your post #14 will work. It's not using a micro connector, and it has the USB to serial convertor built in to the cable.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Cable sold out as mentioned in the first message. Actually that's a common thing over the years.

Mancow certainly going out of his way and stepped up!

Granted borrowing would work, but there's always updates, changes to be made, just a lot better situation if the cable for it is readily available.

This would work too, cheaper cost and assuming windows is okay with it. Looking at a few reviews seems to be. It doesn't list the 396xt, but that model 396T and the 396XT has the same connector. I've owned both models.
Amazon.com: USB Serial Programming Cable for Uniden Bearcat BC250D BC296D UBC3300XLT BC246T BR330T BCD396T BC346XT : Electronics

Other way would be to acquire the cable that came with the XT and get the serial usb-serial cable I mentioned above in message 3, total cost some 19-20 bucks. I know that works. :)

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
What is the port on the side of unit for programming ? "mini" usb
-
No, it's not a mini USB, it's not a micro USB. It's a not too common Hirose MQ172X-4SA 4 position serial data connector.

Hirose1.jpg

The BCD396XT can not be connected directly to a computer's USB port... It must have a serial to USB convertor in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.