Help with a private stream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to set up a closed streaming system so that only I can use it. I spend too much time (retired) at my desk. I need to get out and do other things as well. I still want to be able to listen to my base station scanner although I am away from desk. I read up on Broadcastify but the requirements dont suit me. Could there be some kind of phone app that does this? I can connect via cable with 1/8" plugs to both the radio (bct15x) and computer sound input. But I still need to somehow send the scanner audio to my phone. Broadcastify seems nice but I dont leave my radios or computer on all the time. I can't figure out where to go from here. I can connect audio cable to scanner and computer and record the audio and I already have the data cable plugged in the front of radio going to USB so I can us the 'ID Tracker" program.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm using Radio Feed software (same software I use on another computer for the Broadcastify feed) and an app on my Android phone called Custom Radio Player. These work very well, and if I share the URL of the feed it is available for others or can be listened to as a private feed.

a417

You can set up a private stream to your LAN addresses, so any computer with a valid IP on your home network can access the audio. I do this for my house, and then i use VLC (android) which allows me to listen to a LAN stream on my phone wherever I am. VLC is my streaming audio/video, movie player, media player app of choice. Does them all, even functions as a audio source to the OS (android) so it' allows the screen to fall asleep and integrates nicely with the UI. If you access the stream via HTTP/S an a webrequest, when the screen locks on my phone...the audio stops.

I use OP25 for the decoding and Liquidsoap for streaming to my subnet. Very simple, very easy to do.

An advantage to streaming to my LAN is that when I VPN from anywhere else, the data still is streamable to me.

DC31

Feed Provider
There are numerous ways to skin this cat. You don’t indicate your hardware, i assume Windows. You can install icecast (icecast.org) and use your existing streaming software to stream to a local icecast server. Then use the web browser on your phone to listen to the stream from your phone anywhere on your local network. Or from one of several apps.

I am a raspberry pi tinkerer and do what you describe regularly. The $35 pi runs darkice streaming software (darkice.org) to the icecast server on the same pi. All with a power demand of probably less than 10w. If you want to jump into port forwarding then you can listen to your private feed from anywhere on the internet. This would require a little knowledge of Linux but you can find help here if needed.

Search these forums for private feed raspberry pi and you will get several hits.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
As long as you don't need to actually control the scanner or anything remotely and just need the audio, there are a ton of ways to do this. A very easy way is to use something like Zello or Teamspeak, since all have apps you can put on your phone and turn on whenever you like.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
And zello is especially nice since it only activates when there's traffic. So you're not listening to dead air and killing your battery. Plus the ability to replay traffic on the go is nice. Use it for all of my streams.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Zello is the cheapest way if one has a good donor radio/scanner as an audio source and requires very little in the way of hardware configuration other than piping the audio out into the WAV device on a PC. The desktop client is very light and will run on a VM or dual core POS, or old netbook. For RX only it's straightforward and as previously mentioned, the app/client is pretty good to run in the background without being a battery/resource hog. You can lock it down to your liking.

DC31

Feed Provider
For those unfamiliar with using Zello in this fashion, it requires VOX on the PC doing the streaming.

The VOX feature is what streams only when someone is talking and not the dead air between transmissions as most normal streamers do. The Zello instructions anticipate a microphone plugged into the PC. When used as a radio streamer it is the 3.5mm audio cable from the scanner/radio.

Last edited:

ScubaJungle

If you have a tablet or something to use, you can also use Teamviewer, and be able to control the scanner via the computer.
I was trying to find a good solution to this problem, but the whole shoutcast/icecast,etc was way too annoying with too much coding to do for the little time I have, so I tried teamviewer with success, but ultimately bought a handheld BCD436HP.
I am going to be testing out Zello with my SDR for milair and federal though, and I think from my research, that may be the best route for you, since it seems to be similar to what I was looking for.

Reactions: wtp

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK OK!!...The computer is a DELL Optiplex 390. Upgraded with 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD. Radios are Uniden bcd996p2 and bct15x. Currently both radios have data cables going from front panel of radios into 2 USB PORTS on back of PC. This was I can use Proscan. Both radios have a "rec" out jack. Computer has factory sound card with input for sound. I dont need to control scanner, just want to be able to listen on my phone and or IPOD. Thats about the limit of my technical knowledge with starting to get the ball rolling. So there are about 3 choices I have from what I've read in the comments. I am clueless when it comes to setting up & configuring streaming. Is there CLEAR step by step instructions to get this going with, for example "ZELLO" since it seems so popular?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
ok thank you! I am setting up new computer for wife right now but I will try what u posted later!
I was able to set up accounts for computer and phone. Got it working. Not too bad but audio quality is kinda wonky. Sounds like when scanner is sending audio, its recorded then broadcast out again as an mp3? A 1 or 2 second delay. I did notice the bcd996p2 has much cleaner sounding audio going thru Zello than the bct15x.

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
It cuts the bitrate down to save on data for mobile users. Check the options menu, you should be able to turn on high quality and you may try noise suppression. It's going to be a hair behind your scanner because it has to feed through the internet, some programs are quicker than others but most are going to have at least the .5 second delay.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
It cuts the bitrate down to save on data for mobile users. Check the options menu, you should be able to turn on high quality and you may try noise suppression. It's going to be a hair behind your scanner because it has to feed through the internet, some programs are quicker than others but most are going to have at least the .5 second delay.
I looked all through options (on my desktop version) and can't find anything that will let me adjust bit rate. I remember when I installed program that option came up, but that was during installation.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I looked all through options (on my desktop version) and can't find anything that will let me adjust bit rate. I remember when I installed program that option came up, but that was during installation.
Apparently I was confusing Zello with Scannercast which does let you select bit rate! Anyway I was able to set up 2 channels, one for the P25 system with bcd996p2, and a conventional system on my bct15x. Works very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.