HERO units now on Ga Tech Phase II System!

DanRollman

Database Admin
Cool find Dan.....I think Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta dispatches are right on the money...the further enumerated breakdowns shown on that flow chart may not apply to talkgroups per se but I think we are making great progress on the lion's share of HERO comms/labels.
The Extra Mile Blog says "HERO Master Operator program was initiated in 2016. They are responsible for patrolling, security sweeping and reversing traffic on the state’s I-75 South Metro Reversible Express Lanes in Cobb, Henry and Clayton counties." The unit IDs I am hearing on what I've labeled Northwest and South channels, match up with IDs in the table on page 4 at http://www.dot.ga.gov/AboutGeorgia/Board/Board Meeting Documents/TheHEROProgramat25.pdf for "Master Operator N" and "Master Operator S" respectively. So those channels are used by the Master Operators that patrol the I-75 toll lanes north and south of the city, respectively. Unclear whether they also patrol the I-75 main line in those areas - it seems like it. In any event, these two channels may be called something other than "Bravo Dispatch," "Charlie Dispatch" or "Delta Dispatch" because the HEROs who are operating on those channels are not listed in the A, B, C or D columns in the table, they're listed just under "Master Operator S" or "Master Operator N".

According to Highway Emergency Response Operators - Wikipedia, A, B, C and D correlate to shifts, not areas. "The HERO day is split into four shifts: Alpha (morning), Bravo (afternoon), Charlie (weekend) and Delta (overnight)."

And yet, we know that HERO has 4 channels called Alpha Dispatch, Bravo Dispatch, Charlie Dispatch, and Delta Dispatch (slide 25 at http://www.dot.ga.gov/PartnerSmart/Documents/SSEMC/GDOT Jeff H 2017 Southeastern State Equipment Managers Conference.pdf confirms this), but we also know that the 4 primary talk groups are clearly being divided by area of the city. So this is really confusing.

If we don't figure it out before, the next time I see a HERO unit at a gas station I'll ask him if he can explain.

DanRollman

Database Admin
What a great article. This is especially amazing to me because they switched from SoLinc - which I would have thought had great coverage across the metro - to a P25 system with only a single tower downtown - which I would have thought would have eroding coverage more than a few miles from downtown. And yet, "in October 2019, GDOT gave the HERO operators' new radios. 'The problems stopped when GDOT switched to a actual radio that's used by first responders across the metro,' said the GDOT worker."

Here I was, expecting to see an article about how their old radios worked just fine but the state foolishly made them switch to a radio system with a single tower that is insufficient to cover their huge area. They were on SoLinc for so long, but we couldn't monitor it and know the users didn't like its performance.

I love how the GDOT guy insists the old radios worked just fine ("those claims are baseless") notwithstanding actual users reporting where their radio didn't work. This almost makes me wonder whether a snickering GDOT manager told the HERO boss he'd move them over to a "real public safety P25 system" assuming HERO would hate the state's single-site system, only to find they love it!

Reactions: RRR

RRR

They are just 3 R's. Don't look too much into it
Premium Subscriber
Noteworthy; "HERO" units, "CHAMP" units.... they aren't "required" or truthfully, necessary. They are there to supplement local and state public safety, and to assist with roadside assistance. (That private companies can do)

I think they are great, and helpful, but on the same note, especially with the title line of the article posted ("Putting your safety at risk"), it seems as folks have become so accustomed to a (non-essential) public service, they have come to depend on it. Such is life with people depending on the govt for all that 'ails ya.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Noteworthy; "HERO" units, "CHAMP" units.... they aren't "required" or truthfully, necessary. They are there to supplement local and state public safety, and to assist with roadside assistance. (That private companies can do)
Note though their stated mission: "...primary duty to clear roads so that normal traffic flow is restored. HEROs also assist stranded motorists with flat tires, dead batteries or in need of fuel or coolant." The first part is no less "necessary" than the existence of GSP, which of course does nothing that local law enforcement can't do (and mostly, does do). The second part, which is basically what HERO does in their spare time, most certainly is just a luxury. If you spend any time listening to HERO on the scanner (now that we can), it is pretty clear they exist primarily to get closed lanes open again as soon as possible and enhance emergency scene safety - and generally much faster than PD would. Sometimes they also change a tire or jump a battery in order to quickly get a driver off the side of the road where traffic is whizzing by, if they have time.

HERO is a recognition of the fact that it is penny wise and pound foolish to spend tens of billions of dollars on additional lane miles of extra freeway but not spend a few million dollars a year keeping those lanes flowing better when they get jammed up by stalls and wrecks in the travel lanes.

Also, Champ is not just a "statewide HERO". Their mission is a bit different. They also have a highway maintenance component to their responsibilities.

Casey

I think Southernlinc in a press release indicated they were keeping a few iDen sites active but only to mid 2019 I think i read... while most were transitioned to LTE push to talk smartphones...possibly they had bad performance due to SL shutting down a lot of the redundant legacy iDen sites a bit too early before everybody exited. Also, if the video is to be believed, it looks like Harris got the contract for HERO radios.

Last edited:

DanRollman

Database Admin
I think Southernlinc in a press release indicated they were keeping a few iDen sites active but only to mid 2019 I think i read... while most were transitioned to LTE push to talk smartphones...possibly they had bad performance due to SL shutting down a lot of the redundant legacy iDen sites a bit too early before everybody exited. Also, if the video is to be believed, it looks like Harris got the contract for HERO radios.
The HERO chief's letter complains three times about the "new radios". I assumed that referred to the newer SoLinc LTE devices. I had thought they switched to LTE before complaints increased and they finally went to P25.