Hey Everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octane25

I've been reading on here for about three hours trying to learn what I can. In the meantime I have been listening to the Kern County PD and FD streamed online...it is very interesting and I would like to get into this more!

I would like to put a scanner in my '95 VW Jetta, mostly to scan police/fire/ems etc. and possibly CB if possible, although it doesn't really matter as I will likely be installing a separate CB anyway. I would like a permanent mount rather than a handheld one. Looking around on eBay and the Uniden website I have found the Uniden BC350C that goes pretty inexpensively and looks like a complete kit. I haven't seen this mentioned very much or at all on here, but is this an okay scanner?

I am in Caledonia, Ontario - about half an hour from Hamilton in Haldimand County. Does anybody know what exactly I can access around here and if that radio will do it? More importantly for Hamilton? From reading on here it seems like the Hamilton OPP is pretty good to listen to. I don't expect to hear it from Caledonia but as long as I can hear it when I'm in Hamilton it's okay. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff (other than some experience with CB's) so I would like something fairly idiot-proof and easy to use. I have read that most cities in Ontario are "trunked"? Does that mean I need a trunk scanner such as the BCT-8? It is pretty inexpensive as well and I wouldn't be opposed to picking that up instead if it is more suited to my needs. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

pathalogical

Hello Octane25, welcome to RR !

Most likely, you should get a trunk tracking scanner, most big cities are on this kind of system. I'm not familiar with the 350C, it may be an older model. However, if you want to listen to OPP or GO Transit you need a digital scanner ! Uniden, Radio Shack (US stores, not The Source up here) and GRE all make digital scanners, handheld and desktop/mobile. Considering you live in Caledonia, your best bet may be a digital scanner. Some police agencies are encrypted...nothing will decrypt their comms ! Also, forget about 'inexpensive', you may regret your purchase in the future. Average price for a digital radio is about $500, you can save if you don't mind buying used. Hope this info helps...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
You can listen to all the police, in this case, the OPP for your area with a digital scanner.
Until you get one you can hear the OPP on 148.765, 142.770 and especially when you are close enough to a police unit on 410.8625.
When you get a digital scanner, talkgroups such as 8208 covers your county and the reserves, 6 Charlie designates Haldimand, 6Quebec is first Nations.

You can listen to the Ambulances for your area and as far as Niagara, Hamilton city and maybe beyond.

MTO, MNR also.

As you probably know, there is a land dispute going up in your knoeck of the woods and you will need a digital scanner to pick up those comms

VE3RADIO

If you dont care about the OPP you could just get a analog scanner such as the BCT15 - that will run you around 300 new or 250ish used. That would pickup Hamilton Police, Fire, Bylaw.. as well as the MOH Ambulances, depending on how far you are from lake Erie, you might get some of the US stuff from across the lake such as Erie, PA.

Octane25

Excellent information, everybody! Thank you very very much...

WZ1, would the digital scanner pick up all that as well as the OPP? Or would I need two separate units? I'd rather get a unit with the ability to do both even if it costs more.

Last edited:

Octane25

Could one of you guys also list a few more digital scanner models so I know what I'm looking for?

Octane25

Alright, I guess I need to buy an antenna, cables, power cord etc. as well? I am going to make my own mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.