Hoboken

Status
Not open for further replies.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Rumor has it that Hoboken is upgrading its radio system....to what....either Jersey City's system or the state's system.....I 'm not sure.

They're supposed to be in the office design stage now.

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
Covered in the NJICS thread... PD has a user agreement to transition to NJICS.

Covered in the NJICS thread... PD has a user agreement to transition to NJICS.

Hoboken FD is currently dispatching on a 470 MHz T-Band frequency, which has to be "given back" within the next few years, yet Hoboken PD (whose dispatch frequency is not subject to any current or proposed FCC action) is planning to move? Makes no sense to me, unless FD plans to take over the current PD frequencies when PD moves to NJICS.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Well, since I neither have the time nor the inclination to delve into every post on every threat to find out if someone else knows what I know, I posted a very basic post to find out more.

The least you could have done is put up a link to the other thread to find out more.

And I did find out something here: could it be that Hoboken Fire will move to the PD frequencies, and the PD to the state? Could be, from what we see above. Could make things easier in the long run.

Also: with JC still using the 460s, rather than 470s, could they remain on their trunked system for as long as they want, with no reason to move to the state's system?

AlexC

Database Admin
Some history: Hoboken PD's 800mhz conventional repeaters were located at Marine View Towers on the river. Their license was for the roof of City Hall. Small difference for those familiar with the area. When someone built up their trunked system they were hearing Hoboken and it was knocking out their channel(s) on the system. They [Hoboken] were told at that they had move the equipment to where it was licensed. My understanding is that this was done within the last year or two.

They have no voting receivers and no wireline control of their repeater. This [no voting] causes issues with people uptown getting in to the downtown repeater without voting due to the construction density in the city.

To fix it they decided going to PSIC was apparently better/easier than fixing their radio system, or, were sold the usual sales bill of goods by a sales person. They have been planning this for a couple of years, probably around the first time they had interference issues and were jumping from Channel 1 to 2 all the time.

I don't think fire will move off their 470 channel to join PSIC.

Just saw this in the on line version of the Hoboken Observer:

Police to get new communication system

Two contracts totaling about $1.2 million were awarded by the council to provide a new digital communication system for the Police Department.

Police Chief Ken Ferrante said, “We have an archaic radio system…whenever we have hot and humid weather we start losing channels, which is very dangerous.” He said by 2019 they won’t be able to add new parts to their system.

Ferrante said the new system could be fully installed in the next four to five months.

Just saw this in the on line version of the Hoboken Observer:

Police to get new communication system

Two contracts totaling about $1.2 million were awarded by the council to provide a new digital communication system for the Police Department.

Police Chief Ken Ferrante said, “We have an archaic radio system…whenever we have hot and humid weather we start losing channels, which is very dangerous.” He said by 2019 they won’t be able to add new parts to their system.

Ferrante said the new system could be fully installed in the next four to five months.

Has anyone either heard or seen Hoboken PD testing on 700 MHz yet?

AlexC

Database Admin
My understanding is they are currently renovating their radio room, but, that's all I know. I couldn't find the two contracts on the Hoboken website, but, if anyone comes across them I'd be curious to see links.

AlexC

Database Admin
Doing some more research:
http://hobokennj.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=14&ID=1094&Inline=True

See pages 612-618

Zetron Max (awesome console system btw) 4 positions

See pages 626 - 629.

Harris Portables XL-185P, 170 of them - w/single key AES/DES (FYI), 7/800 & TDMA.
Harris Mobiles, XG75's, 31 of them.

I would tend to guess they will operate the entire system off control stations and this won't be core connected given the equipment list in the quotes.

AlexC

Database Admin
So if I'm reading the most recent reply correctly, Hoboken is going to be using Harris radios? On the NJICS system, right? Full time encryption; does anyone know yet?

My understanding is they are joining on NJICS and using Harris radios (they bought enough that there is no question that is likely their plan), no clue if they are going to encrypt them or not. For all I know the feature set could be the minimum requirements to connect to NJICS for a Harris Radio, maybe it ships by default, etc. Frankly I'd be surprised if they encrypted but I have no first hand knowledge if this is their plan or not. Sadly, what sucks for them is not buying multikey - that's just poor guidance from a vendor if anything.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Just throwing it out there. If they are joining they'll obviously do testing of the new gear. RID's to look for will be in the 905### range.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Change over to NJICS reportedly to occur very soon. Expect full time encryption. May be a phased transition. I have no further information.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Uncertain about that. I have heard nothing so my guess is PD only.

t13one12

Change over to NJICS reportedly to occur very soon. Expect full time encryption. May be a phased transition. I have no further information.

Are you suspecting encryption? Or do you have a source saying that? Disappointed if that is the case. Just curious.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Are you suspecting encryption? Or do you have a source saying that? Disappointed if that is the case. Just curious.

According to the DB, they have PD TG’s. All full Tim encrypted. Whether they are using them or not, I don’t know. But if they aren’t, sure they will be soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
For database administrator: there's no link to NJICS system posted anywhere on the Hudson County database page.
Bottom of the page.
d634ff1a021f322a7e3f6fac9a98617c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.