Hocking County 911 Mess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

Looks like they've gotten into some kind of mess in Hocking County with the 911 Center/Director/Commissioners....

Steve/KB8FAR
:confused:

Commissioners dismiss Hocking 911 directorBeal gives opinion on county vs. TAC in 911 control
Gretchen Roberts
Reporter

LOGAN - Hocking County 911 Director Brent Runge was terminated from his job Tuesday morning, in a 2-1 vote by Hocking County Commissioners. John Walker voted against the motion, while Greg Green and Gary Starner voted to terminate Runge.

Their decision comes after Hocking County Prosecutor Larry Beal's legal opinion was given to commissioners.

According to Greg Green, Beal's written opinion said that the commissioners are the final authority in the county when it comes to 911. "What I've been saying for some time is right. We are the governing authority over the TAC (technical advisory committee), which is what Beal said."

Starner called Runge at the 911 center during the commissioners meeting to notify him, but he was not available. Green said he later tried to give Runge the news in person at the 911 center, but Runge wasn't there at that time.

In an interview Tuesday afternoon, Runge said, "I have not been notified." He added that he couldn't comment at this time.

Runge was set to retire this spring.

The conflict between the Hocking County Commissioners and the TAC stems from contractual and personnel issues, according to both Green and Starner.

"They are a technical advisory committee and they have gone a little beyond what they ought to do," said Starner in a previous interview. "They are doing things above and beyond. They cannot be contracting with people. They don't have the authority to do that. If something goes wrong there, it's not against them, it's against us. We're responsible for that. We approve and sign off for every agency in the county." He also claimed that Runge has refused to consult with the commissioners regarding contracts.

Starner referred to a contractual agreement which Hocking County 911 entered into with Wayne National Forest. The contract was for an antenna to be added on a tower along Calico Ridge Road. "They (TAC) had no authority to do that," Starner noted, "That's not 911 property. That's Hocking County property. What they should have done is made a recommendation to us."

Last week, commissioners placed a letter of insubordination into Runge's personnel file for non-compliance of contracts.

In a written memo from Runge to Beal dated Feb. 15, Runge inquires about letter. "I am interested as to what the basis is for that letter and the one written Jan. 23, might be. You should be aware that Mr. Starner's letter dated Jan. 23 references a previous letter written by Greg Green on April 20, 2007. Green's letter was in fact not an authorized document as outlined in ORC 121.22. There was never a resolution passed that directed him to write such correspondence on behalf of all of the commissioners. Because the other two commissioners never endorsed Green's letter it would follow then that Mr. Starner's letters could reference no official endorsement as well."

The written memo also was sent to Logan Police Chief Aaron Miller (who serves as a chair on the TAC committee) and Logan attorney L. Jackson Henniger, who Runge has retained as legal counsel.

Miller thinks differently about the TAC than Starner and Green. "The TAC committee is the governing body of 911. The commissioners have two roles - approving the budget, and if it appears money is not sufficient, they have the obligation to find other revenue services," he said in a recent interview.

"There was originally a planning committee that was made to initiate or start the 911 final plan, and from that the final plan called for a permanent advisory committee (TAC)," Miller added.

According to Ohio Revised Code. 4931.42, the 911 planning committee "shall convene for the sole purpose of developing a final plan for implementing a countywide 911 system. The 911 planning committee shall appoint a 911 technical advisory committee (TAC) to assist it in planning the countywide 911 system."

However, according to the Final Countywide Enhanced 911 Plan for Hocking County which was designed by the TAC, reads that "The (TAC) committee shall be the governing body for future 911 policy and procedural development of 911 operations. Additionally, the committee will recommend any future 911 equipment and/or related purchasing, which may be needed in order to continue providing 911 service in Hocking County."

Attorney Scott Warrick of Reynoldsburg, who specializes in human resource consulting, employment law and training services, was hired by the commissioners to try to resolve the communication barrier between 911 and the county. In his report he wrote, "I believe Brent (Runge) has drastically overstepped his authority on this matter (referring to Runge's overall authority) to the point of disrupting the commissioners' overall goal of gaining input from the 911 call center employees. The 911 technical advisory committee has no authority on anything at all, period. Again, the 911 technical advisory committee makes recommendations to the 911 planning committee, and it is the 911 planning committee that holds the authority to oversee the technical aspects of the countywide 911 system. That is 'sole purpose' and the extent of the authority granted to this 911 planning committee."

Editor's note: Following last week's story about this debate between the commissioners and TAC over 911, Laurelville Volunteer Fire Chief Butch Valentine, who also is a TAC member, issued a response. Turn to page 4A for what he has to say on the matter.

Runge's attorney threatens action against commissionersHenniger makes accusations of ulterior motives
Rochelle Hawk
of The Logan Daily News

LOGAN - Logan attorney L. Jackson Henniger, representing former Hocking County 911 Director Brent Runge, plans to take legal action if Hocking County Commissioners do not retract their termination of Runge.

Commissioners Gary Starner and Greg Green voted in favor of Runge's dismissal during Tuesday's meeting, while Commissioner John Walker cast the dissenting vote.

Henniger said in a letter to The Logan Daily News that, "if commissioners Starner and Green do not come to their senses and retract their blatantly baseless termination" of Runge that Runge "will have no recourse but to ask the courts to intervene, not a result he wanted by any means."

Henniger also protests the way in which Runge was fired. "Mr. Runge learned of his termination not by notification from the commissioners, but by a Logan Daily reporter. His termination was made without providing him with the benefit of a hearing; and it was done in a cowardly manner, by not confronting him face to face," Henniger stated in his letter.

When contacted Wednesday evening, Starner explained that the commissioners made multiple attempts to contact Runge that day. Starner tried calling Runge at his office during the meeting. Later, Green spent three hours at the 911 center waiting on Runge to arrive.

Henniger believes there are ulterior motives behind Runge's dismissal. He stated, "There are several reasons why commissioners Starner and his buddy Green, lame duck and simple duck, took it upon themselves to purport to dismiss director Runge." One reason Henniger claims is that Runge is running for commissioner and, if elected, could "upset the cozy relationship" that Starner and Green plan to have with Starner's successor.

To this notion, Starner responded, "The only cozy relationship I want is with my wife."

He added, "We even said it's unfortunate, the timing (just before the primary election). It has nothing to do with that. I told Greg (Green) I wanted to wait until we had some legal opinions. That's what I did. I don't have a dog in this fight."

Surrounding Runge's dismissal is a debate over who controls Hocking County 911 - the TAC (technical advisory committee) or the county commissioners. As commissioners have put forth that they oversee 911 operations and have talked of bringing back the planning committee that set up 911, TAC members have disagreed with the view. Logan Police Chief Aaron Miller and Laurelville Volunteer Fire Chief Butch Valentine recalled TAC being set up to oversee the 911 center, as did former TAC member and former commissioner Fred Hawk. TAC is comprised of representatives of various emergency personnel and agencies within the county, including Green representing the commissioners, and meets monthly.

In the midst of all this debate, Hocking County Prosecutor Larry Beal recently gave commissioners the legal opinion that they have the final authority in the county when it comes to 911.

Attorney Henniger noted that the public never wanted county commissioners to control 911 funding, "a result that the voters overwhelmingly rejected when they turned down a general levy, and that they specially approved in the second levy which specially allocated 911 tax levy money to a separate 911 fund."

Henniger claims that Starner and Green dismissed Runge because they want to control 911 and the taxpayer funding that comes with it.

"That's set up strictly for 911," Starner said of the funding. "No money can come into the general fund." As for talk of turning over the 911 operations to the sheriff's office, Starner said that idea was one of many that were mentioned, but the funding still couldn't go to the sheriff's office even if that happened.

Henniger also claims that Starner and Green are retaliating against Runge because Runge reported to prosecutor Beal that Hocking County EMA (Emergency Management Agency) was not operating according to Ohio Revised Code. "By dumping director Runge, Starner and Green hope to prevent the proper reorganization of EMA, under a statutory board, beyond the control of the commissioners, which Starner and Green are adamantly opposed to."

Starner said, "It has nothing to do with that - 66 other counties in Ohio operate EMA the same way we do."

Despite prosecutor Beal's legal opinion that the county is the final authority, Henniger stated, "In my opinion and that of prominent legal counsel connected in one way or another to 911, is that TAC is the governing body for 911, not the Board of Commissioners because, among other reasons, the plan for Hocking 911 was formulated by a publicly appointed planning committee and approved by the heads of the political subdivisions of the county, the citizens of Hocking County by an overwhelming popular vote, and the board of commissioners."

Henniger claims the county commissioners do not have the authority to terminate Runge. "This is a disgusting display of unlawful action, contrary to the public interest by Commissioners Starner and Green. They do not have the authority to terminate him; the TAC board does... If Mr. Runge is insubordinate, then so must be the TAC. Perhaps Commissioners Starner and Green want to fire them as well."

Runge was hired by county commissioners in the late 1990s.

When taking issue with TAC overseeing things, commissioners repeatedly have focused on the belief that Runge has been operating above and beyond the scope of his position, without the commissioners' consent or knowledge on matters that involve contracts and property. These are areas the commissioners have stated fall under their domain and they would be liable should anything go wrong.

Commissioner Greg Green could not be reached for comment Wednesday evening

medic611

This battle has been brewing for a while, 911 center here has its own internal problems that the commisioners used 30-40,000 dollars to find out the internal issues with a private human resources company. Comes down to small community politics at its best , however all county employees are barred from running for political office as employee's written in the county policy manual. The crazy thing is Runge allowed wayne national forrest to place a repeater/ antenna on a county owned tower, without getting permission from the commisioners.

hoser147

Mess pretty well sums it up, The County Sheriff up here put up a monster tower when they built the new Law Enforcement Center, They provide and rent tower space off of the tower. The whole thing smells in my opinion, with the politics and all that's involved. Hoser

SLWilson

I will say this much....

I was hired by the county board of commissioners. (We have a 911 board that assists with proceedures as far as call handling, dispatching etc.) But, the county commission has the FINAL say, authority and decesion on changes etc....

I answer to THEM. They are my bosses. I understand that.

If I don't follow THEIR policies and procedures, they can, should and will fire me, bottom line, no excuses...:)

I'll stop there...

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.