• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Holzberg Dual Band Radio DB-ANDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordpaxin

First off, Id like to say hello

This is my first post to your forums and I hope that you can help me.

Background.
I work for a large player in the Oil and Gas industry and our House radio is a Motorola RDV2020

Typically each location we operate on has several different contractor customers all using different bands. Each of these companies relies on communication with us during the operation of the job.

I found the Holz Dual Band radio and it seemed like the solution for me.

I ordered one for testing without the programming cable or software.
Using this site i found the information i needed to locate the channels on the RDV2020.
channel 1 = 154.490
channel 2 = 154.515

I manually programmed these channels into the holzberg and tested.

both channels are LOUD and CLEAR comming into the Holzberg but alas, the RDV picks up nothing.

The RDV has a 3 stage LED indicator light and while the Holzberg is transmitting it lights up orange, which means there is radio activity, just not the right kind.

after reading on this site i believe I need the proper Rx and Tx codes programmed into the Holzberg to operate correectly.

any advice or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

hockeyshrink

...i believe I need the proper Rx and Tx codes programmed into the Holzberg to operate correectly.

i believe you answered your own question :)

Sounds like your Holzberg is not transmitting the appropriate code for the RDV to "hear" it. I'm not sure if you know what the code is; hopefully you can find documentation at the station or call your radio tech for it. Alternatively, if the RDV is transmitting a code, I'd bet that is also the receive code. Many scanners and amateur radios can detect the code from the signal, so if you know someone with one of those gadgets that can be figured out.

I know nothing about that radio, so sorry I can't help you with programming, I know many Kenwoods can have freqs and codes manually programmed by the right sequence of keys, but you really need the freq and code tables to do it.

Last edited:

lordpaxin

more info.

OK.

I found documentation for our RDX radios and was able to decipher the programmed codes.

Channel 1 is 154.490 Code is 67hz
Channel 2 is 154.515 Code is 67hz

oddly enough this is the default freq and coding in the manual. HAHA.

anyways.
Following the instructions in the DB-andy for adding codes to channels it should be working, but it seems the issue is going to be getting the codes to save.

after I add a code and hit MENU to save, it returns to Menu. and hit Menu again and it shows the option for code with OFF selected.

this is very aggrivating.

reference RDV radio manual
http://www.twowayradiosfor.com/pdf/RDX-Non-Display-manual.pdf

reedeb

Here the info on this rig Dual Band Radio - DB-ANDY - Holzberg Communications

Technical Specifications
General
■Dual Band Frequency Range:
◦FM (Receive only) 88-108 MHz
◦VHF 136-173.995 MHz
◦UHF1 (Receive only) 350-389.995 MHz
◦UHF2 420-490 MHz
◦UHF3 (Receive only) 470-519.995 MHz
■Channel Capacity: 100
■Operating Voltage: DC 7.2 V
■Channel Spacing: 5/6.25/10/12.5/15/20/25/30/50/100 kHz
■Dimensions: 4.33" x 2.20" x 1.46" (110 x 56 x 37 mm)
■Weight (with Li-ion battery): 0.57 lbs (225 g)
■Antenna Impedance: 50 Ohms
■Frequency Sensitivity: ± 5 ppm
Transmitter
■Power Output: 4W/2W/1W
■Emission Current: ≤1.5A 4W
■Modulation Sensitivity: 12 mV
■Modulation Limiting: < 5 kHz (W) / 2.5 kHz (N)
■Modulation Distortion: ≤ 5%
■CTCSS/DCS Frequency Deviation: 0.75 kHz ±50Hz (W) / 0.37 kHz ± 30Hz (N)
■FM Modulation: 16KOF3E (W), 11KOF3E (N)
■Modulation Character: 6 dB
■Spurious Radiation: < 7μW
Receiver
■Sensitivity (12dB SINAD): -122 dBm
■Audio Power: 500 mW
■Audio Distortion: < 10%
■Audio Response: 6dB
■Adjacent Channel Selectivity: ≥ 65 dB (W) / 60 dB (N)
■Intermodulation Rejection: ≥ 60 dB (W) / 55 dB (N)
■Spurious Response Rejection: ≥ 65 dB
■Blocking: ≥ 85 dB

W2NJS

The brochure says that the Holzberg radio has a DPL/CTCSS search function. The radio must have come to you with an instruction manual, so look up that function and find out how to use it.

Strange, I see no mention whatsoever of FCC certification for this radio for Part 90. Hmmmmm....

hockeyshrink

The brochure says that the Holzberg radio has a DPL/CTCSS search function. The radio must have come to you with an instruction manual, so look up that function and find out how to use it.

Strange, I see no mention whatsoever of FCC certification for this radio for Part 90. Hmmmmm....

From the looks of this radio, I bet the manual is in Chinese ;)

lordpaxin

I canot find any mention of the code searching in the book,
well, by book i mean pamplet.

and by pample i mean, it looks like a instruction book on how to get a free life in contra NES

lordpaxin

Solved

NAILED IT GUYS

as it turns out.

you must SET the Code before you save the channel.

apparently i was trying to modify a channel that was saved and that is not allowed!!!

ohwell.

i just wonder how hard it is going to be to get the frequency and code from Haliburton on the next frac job.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Is that radio IS certified? Hope it is if you are working on an oil or gas lease.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
no mention of it on the Holzberg site, looks like nothing more than a rebadged Wouxun. Love the "juno.com" email address on the spec sheet, nothing more says basement boiler room than that. And the MSRP on these road apple radios is WHAT? $585? Is it even narrowband compliant for that price? Splinter channels? yeah right.

amazes me people buy these for professional applications, oil and gas industry? is this thing Factory Mutual Intrinsically Safe for hazardous atmosphere use? . Maybe the OP can contact their "help desk" at that juno.com email address.

You get what you pay for.

prcguy

Looks like the OP paid too much for a Chinese radio and could have the same features and performance from a Wouxun for a little over $100 which is a bargain.

If Intrinsically Safe is required, I agree that's a separate problem.

Why does MT2000des consider anything other than a Bloatarola a roadapple?
prcguy

no mention of it on the Holzberg site, looks like nothing more than a rebadged Wouxun. Love the "juno.com" email address on the spec sheet, nothing more says basement boiler room than that. And the MSRP on these road apple radios is WHAT? $585? Is it even narrowband compliant for that price? Splinter channels? yeah right.

amazes me people buy these for professional applications, oil and gas industry? is this thing Factory Mutual Intrinsically Safe for hazardous atmosphere use? . Maybe the OP can contact their "help desk" at that juno.com email address.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

MTS2000des said:

Completely agree with you MTS, if the radio is not FM IS approved the OP has no business bringing it onto a oil/gas lease. Too many dangerous things like H2S, or methane that could potentially ignite, and for what? To save a couple of hundred dollars? The OP needs to speak to his foreman about the specific site safety requirements relating to radio use on site. Due to actually working in the industry, where I live any portable electronics must have an FM IS rating or have specific, aggressive, gas testing procedures in place BEFORE any non-IS equipment is turned on. My guess, due to the company named, it is likely the same where the OP is working. You do not want to be responsible for causing a fire/explosion on a volatile work site.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Looks like the OP paid too much for a Chinese radio and could have the same features and performance from a Wouxun for a little over $100 which is a bargain.

If Intrinsically Safe is required, I agree that's a separate problem.

Why does MT2000des consider anything other than a Bloatarola a roadapple?
prcguy

Why does PCRguy keep putting words in mouth? Where did I say this?
The OP is using equipment that:

1)-does not appear to be FCC certified for commercial use, at least according to he manufacturers' website
2)-does not appear to be rated for use in hazardous atmospheres, which the OP states he's in the "oil and gas industry"

Show me where in this thread I even mentioned using any brand of radio, I called them road apples because in this case they are. Any person who would put their safety at risk using such cheap, uncertified equipment of any kind in a hazardous task is being foolish and asking for trouble. Any risk manager with a high school level education would agree.

Factory Mutual IS ratings are there for a reason. Plenty of manufacturers offer them, and they cost more because Factory Mutual has tested and certifies that the product won't create a hazardous situation, one that could actually cause explosions, inflict injury or death, when operated in such conditions. I don't see where Holzberg, nor any of these cheap knock off offshore radios offer this certification. For the price he paid, he could have gotten FM approved, part 90 radios from a variety of established manufacturers (Icom, Kenwood, Vertex Standard, Tait, Motorola, EF Johnson, Harris, Uniden, to name a few).

Maybe he should contact his vendor at their "juno.com" email address and ask them for technical support and if these products are fit for the applications he is using them in? In fact the Motorola RDX2020 doesn't appear to be offered in an IS rated version, so this too would be as unfit for his application as the Holzbergs. But at least they are part 90 certified.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

I must disagree with you one one point MTS, the highschool degree thingy, anyone with elementary school should know better... LOL

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

I must disagree with you one one point MTS, the highschool degree thingy, anyone with elementary school should know better... LOL

ya know. You would think that in an industry posting record profits they would not cheap out on safety related equipment. Jobsite radios that are legitimately certified for part 90 and Intrinsic safety aren't that expensive, and the savings pay for themselves. Why someone would put themselves, their work crews, jobsite and community at risk using ANY unfit, uncertified equipment is just absurd. But I guess that is why agencies like OSHA are working overtime these days.

For the record I don't give a rats behind what brand of radio or whatever they use at such a facility, so long as it meets the proper accrediting agency requirements and certifications.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

MTS2000des said:

ya know. You would think that in an industry posting record profits they would not cheap out on safety related equipment. Jobsite radios that are legitimately certified for part 90 and Intrinsic safety aren't that expensive, and the savings pay for themselves. Why someone would put themselves, their work crews, jobsite and community at risk using ANY unfit, uncertified equipment is just absurd. But I guess that is why agencies like OSHA are working overtime these days.

For the record I don't give a rats behind what brand of radio or whatever they use at such a facility, so long as it meets the proper accrediting agency requirements and certifications.

So very true. Prcguy is not going to like me saying this but the ole HT-1000 is still the most common FM-IS portable radio that I see in the oilpatch in Alberta. Can't beat it they are tough and there is not much on the market, FM-IS, wise that can beat it for durability. Like you though I don't care eother as long as it is certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.