Home Patrol-1... My Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper43

Viper

I don't know why I post in a thread about the HP-1 where you can respond, I posted what I saw with the stock antenna which the scanner comes with, and this will be my last post in a thread that has to do with the HP-1 that you can respond to, you think it's the best thing since the invention of the wheel, others see things different after fooling with it.

lol, funny.... but the fact is I posted what I saw using the same antennas at the same time on both scanners, not two scanners using different antennas. And the fact is that doing it this way showed better results on the HP-1, has nothing to do with my personal choice, and prior to the HP-1 the 600 recieved better than my other scanners. And just for you tonight I tried both using their stock antennas, and the 600's stock antenna did better than the HP-1's antenna which would/could account for what you saw and heard......

macm

Hi
I am looking into a Home Patrol scanner. Is it effective with use in a statewide system? I guess I am asking if it is good with non local monitoring?. The Pennsylvania State police are VHF and use a local frequency for each city in the state but that frequency isn't included for Wilkes-Barre municipal PD.
Hope this question isn't too vague. I use a Radio Shack PRO 106 to monitor up here.
Thank you,
Mike

Danny6569

P.A. state police

Hi
I am looking into a Home Patrol scanner. Is it effective with use in a statewide system? I guess I am asking if it is good with non local monitoring?. The Pennsylvania State police are VHF and use a local frequency for each city in the state but that frequency isn't included for Wilkes-Barre municipal PD.
Hope this question isn't too vague. I use a Radio Shack PRO 106 to monitor up here.
Thank you,
Mike

Hey mike you wont get the pa state police anymore on any scanner at all, there going to a system called open sky, you cant hear it on the home patrol or any other scanner out there!

Viper43

Hi
Thank you,
Mike

For the posts that haven't switched to Opensky or have switched back to VHF yes, it will work. From what I am hearing some posts have actually gone back to VHF because of the issues with Opensky not working properly or using both and simulcasting on VHF. Hopefully at some point those in charge of the PA communications system will realize that Opensky is futile and a waste of $$ and go to something more usable and actually scannable too.

BillVette

I live in Bucks Co and yesterday I got some PSP but only car to car, no dispach. In the upper end of our county there isn't 24 hr. police so the PSP covers so it could be talk to other local depts.

perry211

Premium Subscriber
Terrible performance on P25 Simulcast!

Thats the problem that most people don't understand. Unless you live in an area like Roanoke VA and try to listen to the P25 Simulcast, You don't have a clue. I had to run cable to my basement to listen to Roanoke, Co and Vinton. Of corse when I do this it kills my UHF and VHF. It's almost 2011 can't we buy a scanner thats works like it should? I'm using 2 scanners just to listen to local fire, rescue, police. One old school tripple tracker and a $500.00 scanner for one p-25 system! Whats wrong with this picture?
Thanks for any input, we should send GRE a potician telling them we're not buying any more untill they fix the voice chip!

Perry, In Vinton VA

Justive

Well, I will start out by saying that I am not impressed with this device as a scanner receiver. Receiver sensitivity is really bad. The idea of the device is pretty neat, and with the help of the Sentinel Software, it is very easy to set up. If you are not a person is fluent enough with a computer to navigate the software, you will not be able to fully benefit from the device’s features.

Pros:
--Nice display. Not as nice as the iPhone 4, but good for a scanner. :)
--Descriptions of the channels are very nice. Not limited like most scanners to 12 or 16 characters per line.
--Owner information screen is nice. Name, full address, phone number, email address, and even more can all be displayed. It will help an honest person return the device if it is found.
--With the Sentinel Software, it is simple to configure the scanner to what you want to monitor. I look forward to other aftermarket software to make it even better.
--Very nice for someone that travels to many different locations in US and Canada. The entire Radio Reference database is stored in the scanner and it will automatically scan based on zip code and specified range.
--Audio recording is awesome! It’s like TiVo for the scanner.

Cons:
--The radio receiver of this scanner is probably one of the worst receivers I have used.
*Very very poor performance on VHF-High. This is disappointing as fire in Phoenix still uses VHF High extensively. I am comparing to my BCD396XT. I even swapped antennas on the HP-1 and BC396XT with no change. Monitoring the same VHF frequency side by side with my BCD396XT, the HP-1 will be scratchy and almost unreadable, while the BCD396XT is crystal clear.
*Poor performance on UHF.
*OK performance on 800mhz Analog.
*Adequate performance on a Digital Mixed mode P25 non-simulcast system.
*Terrible performance on P25 Simulcast! I have compared the radio with my BCD396XT that will decode about 40-60 percent of a transmission on the Phoenix RWC simulcast system. The HP-1 will successfully decode about 10-30 percent of a transmission. I have tried different locations, and switch antennas on the radios with similar results. This is very disappointing and makes the radios almost worthless for the radio systems that I monitor the most.
--Poor audio. The speaker is very tinny. It does not do a good job of filtering on poor quality transmissions. On a moderate strength signal, the audio quality is annoying because the static is in signal seems amplified rather than being filtered.
--For complicated trunked systems that have many simulcast and single IR sites, the range based programming selects a lot of garbage that is not useful for a scanner. As an example, on the Maricopa County trunked system, there are small filler sites that rarely have radios affiliated to carry talkgroups. This causes a waste of about 10 seconds in scanning unused IR sites. Scanner users must be familiar with what sites need to be “avoided” to a proper listening experience. This issue is caused by the comprehensive site information on RadioReference. All of the site information is nice to have docuemneted to get a full understanding of the system. These sites provide gap coverage for radio users of the systems. However, in Phoenix, most of the sites are unnecessary for a scanner. The same can be said for other complex systems like Douglas County Nebraska where I have heard similar complaints from one of my colleagues that tried the radio.
--Setting favorite lists via the device is more tedious than it should be. Example. To add the East and West Dispatch talkgroups on the Maricopa County trunked system you must: From menu, select “Manage Favorites Lists” and select your list. Select Review / Edit Channels, Add channel, USA, Arizona, Maricopa, Statewide(a system that covers multiple counties is listed under statewide), Maricopa County, MCSO East, MCSO East Dispatch, and Add Channel. To this point, I am ok. However, since the West channel is in a different “department” on the menu, I must then go back through the entire list, USA, Arizona, Maricopa…. If the channels are in the same “department” you can select multiple channels to add at a time. If they are in different “departments” it gets tedious. If it would not make me go back through the entire menu, that would be very helpful.
--Patched talkgroups on Pure P25 systems still do not decode properly on the HP-1! This is an ongoing issue I have with the BCD396XT that I was hoping would be addressed. GRE’s can properly decode patched talkgroups on a P25 system, but Uniden has not figured it out yet. This can be addressed by firmware, and hopefully will be addressed on BCDx96 series and HP-1 soon.
--No acceptable way to force the radio to continue scanning. Let me explain. My state agency is making a transmission that will last 45 seconds giving VIN, license info, make, model, color, etc. On my BCD396XT, I will hit “SCAN” and it will continue scanning and stop on the next active agency in the scan list. With the HP-1, I tap the channel name to hold, and then tap the channel name again to continue. However it scans the same agency and will stop on the same channel again. I have to do the about 2 more times before it will continue to the next agency.
--The device is larger and heavier than I expected. I was expecting something slightly larger than a modern GPS.
--No manual manipulation of programmed data. Something is incorrect or not included, you must submit to RadioReference and wait for the change to propogate to Uniden, then update the HP-1 via software.
--Now I am just getting picky… Battery low alert is annoying. The red symbol in the top right, and beep every few seconds is enough. We don’t need the popup on the screen that blocks everything and makes you hit ok every few minutes.

Overall as you can see by my long list of cons that I am not happy with the radio. I was not going to buy one, but I was offered a deal that I could not pass up.

I am an advanced scanner listener, but the cons I have above will come into play for anyone from a novice to a pro. This concept is definitely moving in the right direction for future scanners, but this idea is still in its infancy. I’m not gonna give up my BCD396XT anytime soon.
Home Patrol’s zip code magic doesn’t work in all of New York City. Home Patrol can’t figure out all of New York City’s multiple zip codes. It seems to think that New York County is all of New York City and does not realize that there are five separate counties that comprise New York City. New York city consists of five boroughs that are conterminous with five counties. New York County is the Borough of Manhattan; Kings County is the Borough of Brooklyn; Richmond County is the Borough of Staten Island; Bronx County is the Borough of The Bronx; and Queens County is the Borough of Queens. Together they comprise New York City. If you enter a zip code in any borough other than Manhattan you won’t get police, fire, EMS, transit, or any of the hundreds of frequencies used by the City of New York. So if you want to find the frequency of a police precinct in the Bronx, you have to enter a Manhattan zip code. If you’re using the GPS function, you’ll get nothing. This is a major drawback.
According to the Home Patrol website if you enter a zip code, it will select all radio systems that overlap a 10-mile circle centered on that zip code. If you want to extend the selection range, you can increase that from 10 miles up to 30 miles (or reduce it to 0 miles). But simply that's not what happens when you actually try it out on the web site if you enter a New York City zip code that's for any borough other than Manhattan. By the way, a ten mile circle won't come close to covering New York City.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I have a simulcast system (or at least a simulcast set of 5 sites on a large system) just NE of here, but have not yet carried the radio up that way. I just got my GPS unit in yesterday and maybe this weekend I will set out to see how it operates while moving around and will try to include heading up to Montgomery Co. to see what happens up there.

I must say, as far as P25 VHF, this is the best scanner I have ever heard. I have yet to hear a "motor boat" sound monitoring the TX DPS.

Last edited:

scanchs

I have a simulcast system (or at least a simulcast set of 5 sites on a large system) just NE of here, but have not yet carried the radio up that way. I just got my GPS unit in yesterday and maybe this weekend I will set out to see how it operates while moving around and will try to include heading up to Montgomery Co. to see what happens up there.

I must say, as far as P25 VHF, this is the best scanner I have ever heard. I have yet to hear a "motor boat" sound monitoring the TX DPS.

Lou,

I'm right with you on the HP. I initially got mine because I was curious about the new technology it represented (i.e., touchscreen, full RR database on an SD card, etc.). At first, I actually had set fairly low expectations for it, but boy was I ever happily surprised.

This thing has an incredible receiver in it. I have taken it into the simulcast jungle that is Charleston County here in SC and I have yet to hear a single hiccup, plus the audio is as clear as a bell. In addition, it is picking up conventional VHF traffic in adjacent counties better than I have ever heard on a stock antenna. I am so satisfied with this scanner that, if I had to sell all but one of my scanners, I'd have to seriously consider keeping the HomePatrol! Who'd a thunk it? :D

ScanCHS

jmp883

Perry211 wrote:

It's almost 2011 can't we buy a scanner thats works like it should?

I have no issues with my new HP-1, nor do I have any issues with the other 6 base/mobile scanners or 4 hand-held scanners in my shack. They all work as they should.

In regard to the HP-1 I think it has a great receiver. I'm hearing things that my other 5 base scanners don't hear. All 6 radios are routed through an ST-2 antenna mounted on my old TV antenna mast. The incoming line is routed through a GRE Super Amp 3001 and then split out to the 6 radios. I live in a valley about 30 miles or so northwest of NYC. Without that amp turned on the 5 scanners go deaf except for transmissions made within the immediate area of my house. With the amp on I hear the upper third of NJ, all of NYC, and Orange, Rockland, Putnam, and Westchester counties of NY. Since I added the HP-1 to my shack I can hear most of what I just listed with, or without, the amp on. With the amp on the HP-1 also hears a little bit more than other 5 do.

It all boils down to systems you're trying to monitor, the equipment you're using to pull those signals in, the geographic area you're in, and even the weather conditions while you're monitoring.

I think the HP-1 is a great receiving radio and has already become a great addition to the hobby, allowing new and inexperienced users the chance to learn about, and enjoy, the great hobby of scanning.

Tom_G

Cellphone - Keep us posted on your results if your able to swap your radio out for another one. I'd be very interested in your results, as I suspect most folks here would be also.
Best of Luck.... Tom/G

Am in the Phoenix area too

Got mine a couple of days ago. As I make more favorite lists I am noticing trouble with the P25 also. Gilbert and Mesa TRWC and Phoenix PD RWC. Other trunked systems seem ok, but am new to most of this so cellphone knows best. Just wondering why other people it is fine and Phoenix is a problem. One guy on Home Patrol site did say he was having an issue in Washington too I believe.

W6KRU

Got mine a couple of days ago. As I make more favorite lists I am noticing trouble with the P25 also. Gilbert and Mesa TRWC and Phoenix PD RWC. Other trunked systems seem ok, but am new to most of this so cellphone knows best. Just wondering why other people it is fine and Phoenix is a problem. One guy on Home Patrol site did say he was having an issue in Washington too I believe.

The other people don't have any knowledge of the performance on a simulcast system. Unidens have a difficult time with multicast distortion caused by simulcast systems.

carrollg

DROID/iPod Touch APP

REFERENCE: UNIDEN CUSTOMER SUPPORT #W271578-102110

The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department has over ** 98 ** Alpha Tags listed in RadioReference and I cannot find a way to FAV them or even locate them in my new HP-1.

We're on Macintosh's with OS X

Will there be an iPad, iPod Touch or OS-X version of Sentinel or a detailed step-by-step instruction on how I manually enter ALL 98+ tags?

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Los Angeles County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Dispatch
Local Tactical (L-TAC)
Area Tactical (A-TAC)
Countywide Tactical (C-TAC)
STAR Tactical (S-TAC)
Mutual Aid
Emergency Ops
Other

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Cellphone - Keep us posted on your results if your able to swap your radio out for another one. I'd be very interested in your results, as I suspect most folks here would be also.
Best of Luck.... Tom/G

After reading other comments from other HP-1 users, and additional side-by-side comparisons with my other radios, I am requesting an exchange of the radio. I am working with the vendor to have a replacement. I will let you know how it goes with the next radio. Hopefully this will take care of the first items on my "cons" list. There are still many other cons that I am surprised no one has mentioned. I am reading other posts about poor P25 simulcast performance, so I am not confident my replacement will address the problem with P25 simulcast multi-path distortion.

Regards,

Joe

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
After seeing the demo of the Home Patrol on you tube I figured it was time for a change. I am a Uniden man, pretty much because Radio Shack up here in Canada is long gone and in the last few years before it became the Source it carried scanners that were worth $200 for over $500.
Outside of a Pro93 I have only had Uniden scanners, my last one being my fave a 396T.

I took the plunge and purchased a home patrol, selling my 396 to help cover costs.

Outside of it taking 7 days to make to the border and another 5 days in customs (sent it via priority post) I got my radio yesterday.

When I plugged in my postal code it only allowed me to listen to a region (i.e. same as County) one over from me and nothing in my immediate area.

After learning how to create my one 'things' to listen to with help from a member here I figured out how to use the DB.

The sound IMO is very good, the two complaints I had about the 396 was that on VHF HI analogue comms on our provincial system were so low in audio compared to the P25 comms that our local Provincial Police use. On the home patrol the analogue comms sound much better and I dont have to alter the volume at all.

The other complaint about the 396 was that it was too damm sensitive. I have cell towers all over the place and they some times cause intermod with what I want to monitor. On the Home Patrol this is not an issue. I can clearly listen to a multi site system about 35 miles away with an antenna cut from VHF Hi on this Home Patrol when it was more hit and miss with my 396.

I live 35 miles from Toronto and on my balcony facing towards the city I could barely get any of the cities trunking system towers or the cities tower for the proincial system. Since the Home Patrol does not seem so sensitive I might be able to scan Toronto with a decent antenna how from my home or at least on my balcony.

One more good thing, I can use it in my car and just plug it into my lighter.

The touch screen is cool, most of you guys might have Touch phones like the Iphone or crackberries, I dont and it is a novolty for me!

Now what I dont like about it so far, one thing, the data base removes all the encrypted talkgroups it seems and does not allow us to program them in. Even though I cannot listen to encrypted comms it is sometimes nice to see if there is activity on them.

I am sure I will find issues as time goes on and I do miss my 396 this is all I will need for the time being.

Great job Uniden and great job Scannermaster for listening to my complaints that did not have to do with anything they did. The shipper there Dave understood my rant and made offers to me and I appreciate it!

Viper43

The HP-1 also does a great job on 380-400 P25 systems. Audio is nice and clear.

I tried it out on the Ft Knox system, worked great, it hit more than my 396XT on the system and from greater distances as well. It also worked very well on the KY State Police digital system. I was picking up Ft Knox all over the state.

Works great on the SAFET system, including simulcast sites, gets 1 or 2 motorboats a day at the most, many days not a single motorboat. The only problem system is Indy's MECA. In Indy it is great 99% of the time. The problem is the area of 71st & Michigan....all my scanners go deaf there. You can be getting MECA on all bars there and not hear a peep on any scanner. To be fair, an IMPD officer stopped to see what I was doing and we got to talking and he laughed and said "my radios haven't worked here since they put this radio system in". Another IMPD car pulled up and he too said he can't recieve or transmit in that area. This isn't good as it's a good 1/2 mile radius thats "dead" for public safety radios. The rest of MECA's coverage area it just kicks butt! And for a 9600 simulcast system it sounds pretty darn good. Sure there are burps in other areas but you move a foot and it's good again. What surprised me though was sitting in the library in Greenfield I heard MECA just as well as if I was downtown Indy and with 5 bars. Thats 16 miles or so from the nearest tower site. Yet at my home 5 miles closer to a site it's hit or miss whether I get any transmissions, yet I get 5 bars off the CC. We'll see how it goes once all the leaves are gone.
Overall I'd say Uniden hit a home run with the fontend and decoding on the HP-1.

V

tjstroh42

HomePatrol1

I was not impressed with UNIDEN HP-1, I played with it for 24 hours, and found poor reception (I live about 30 miles from NYC, where there is a lot of scanner action), I did put in the software from my PC.
I found i could hear more from my Uniden 15X, and I also use an ALINCO DX-10T, an oldie but a goodie once you get the hang of of programing it!!
I liked the ideas of the HP-1, but I believe it needs to be refined, to allow easier programing of the freq. that one likes to listen to.
I am by no means a scanner expert, I returned the HP-1, with no problems, when and if it is improved I will take another look at it.
By the way I have an old BC-800XLT, still runs well, however I broke the top mounted screw in antenna, anyone out there have one???

Status
Not open for further replies.