HP-2: Home Patrol II external speaker

Grondoline

Does anyone know if a Uniden BC23A EXTERNAL SPEAKER will work with the Home Patrol II? I have plugged every speaker in my vast collection into the headphone jack and there all vey low or no volume.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if a Uniden BC23A EXTERNAL SPEAKER will work with the Home Patrol II? I have plugged every speaker in my vast collection into the headphone jack and there all vey low or no volume.
It should. It's an amplified speaker. The audio output at the headphone jacks on Uniden scanners is very low. Sufficient to drive a headphone, but not enough to generate usable volume for an unamplified speaker.

I recommend you use Powered speakers

Apparently those speakers should work 👍

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
That speaker has an auto shutoff after 25 seconds of no audio....
You could loose part of the transmission while it turns back on...

This thread (Post #10) shows how to modify it to hold it on if so desired...

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have plugged every speaker in my vast collection into the headphone jack and there all vey low or no volume.
-
Did those speakers have a mono or stereo plug that goes into the headphone jack? If mono, it will short out half of the amplifier output.

eg153wftx

I have dealt with the same issue and just gave up. I have had thoughts to open up my HP2 and solder a 3.5 mm female jack directly to the internal speaker that would extend out of the housing that I could plug an external speaker to. (My unit is out of warranty BTW). not a rocket scientist so do not know if this would work so I have not tried.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
I have the HP-2 in the car. Headphone jack out feeds the BC23A amplified speaker. PLENTY of volume from the speaker. Do yourself a favor........do the speaker mod. It's easy & no more clipped audio

eg153wftx

"Do yourself a favor........do the speaker mod. It's easy & no more clipped audio". As in the amplified speaker mod or going directly to HP speaker?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

N2NHL

I have a Home Patrol I and like the HP2, the internal speaker is quite anemic. I've tried a few different solutions (modifying an existing Astatic external speaker to include a 10-watt amp, bluetooth adapter to stream the line output). Nothing sounded satisfying. The BC23A with the above referenced 12v AC adaptor along with the auto-off modification worked very well. The sound is wonderful with digital broadcast, but it's the analog broadcasts that needed help. There is a richer, more full-range sound on this speaker than I expected - not tinny or overly "bassy."

This has prompted me to order a second BC23A set up, as this has worlked out well. Thanks to everyone for all of the information!

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a reference to the 10K ohm resistor they used and curious what was used to protect the leads on both sides when it is soldered to the board in those pics provided?

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Thanks... and validation that it works... if you plug in just the power the red light should always stay on?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
if you plug in just the power the red light should always stay on?

Correct... If powered on...
I don't have that speaker... The volume control may have an intigrated on/off switch... If it does then you can turn it off when not in use...

UPDATE --- It has a power switch... From the manual...

"The volume control dial on the side of the speaker controls power as well as volume. Dial it UP to turn on the speaker and increase the volume. Dial it DOWN to decrease the volume and turn the speaker off."

Last edited:

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Worked... with the BC23a should there be a slight suttle hum when not connected? Forgot to test before i soldered 10K ohm resistor.

If headphone isn't plugged in or headphone plugged in with scanner off... if i BC23a on i hear a slight hum... is that normal for these amplified speakers?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If your saying with the speaker powered on and the audio cable not plugged into anything... You could have a slight hum or noise...
The audio circuit is open and the cable acts like an antenna...

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.. and with the audio cable also plugged into the scanner and the scanner turned off.. the higher I raise the volume on the speaker itself the higher the slight hum gets... guess that is normal ? Trying to find the right balance turning up speaker slightly and then using scanner to increase volume from there. BTW, this is a home setup.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If I were you... I would try running the speaker from a 12v battery and see if the hum is still there...
If it's not... Then whatever your powering the speaker with is more than likely causing it...