HP-2: Home Patrol II external speaker

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did those speakers have a mono or stereo plug that goes into the headphone jack? If mono, it will short out half of the amplifier output.
The BC23A speaker has a stereo plug. Only the tip and sleeve connections are used. There is an audio isolation transformer inside the speaker to eliminate the possibility of shorting the audio output jack of a scanner to ground. It will also prevent hum loops.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I don't have that speaker... Didn't know if it had an isolation transformer in it or not...
So you dom't need the one I posted then...

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Did the 12v ba
If I were you... I would try running the speaker from a 12v battery and see if the hum is still there...
If it's not... Then whatever your powering the speaker with is more than likely causing it...
Conducted a test with a 12v battery and hum is significantly less when speaker is turned all the way up... when I connect wires back to 12v 2a adapter hum is a lot louder... wondering if there is a better 12v adapter to get to plug into wall.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Conducted a test with a 12v battery and hum is significantly less when speaker is turned all the way up... when I connect wires back to 12v 2a adapter hum is a lot louder... wondering if there is a better 12v adapter to get to plug into wall.
If you are running the scanner on an external AC adapter, unplug the adapter from the scanner and run it on batteries to see if that eliminates the hum.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Most of those on Amazon I would not trust,,,
You could try adding some capacitors across the leads to reduce the ripple voltage...
As close to the radio's power input as you can...

Last edited:

TGuelker

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
My wife of 40 years doesn’t like the ‘chatter’ so my HPII is connected to a bluetooth transmitter which feeds bluetooth earbuds. I only use one earbud. I can go most anywhere in the house and still have a connection. Made sure to get both 5.2

The HPII is powered 24/7 but when the miniUSB power connector is unplugged, hum is present.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Post 20 suggested running the speaker on battery power. I suggested using the scanner on internal batteries if it is powered by an external AC adapter. The scanner adapter could be a problem also.
If it's the Uniden one I wouldn't think so... But could be...

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
If anyone comes across a 12 Volt 2A Power Adapter Supply, AC 100-240V to DC 12 V Power Supply Transformer Charger that doesn't introduce noise into the speaker let me know.. for now I will live with it...

EMTJD

I have the HP-2 in the car. Headphone jack out feeds the BC23A amplified speaker. PLENTY of volume from the speaker. Do yourself a favor........do the speaker mod. It's easy & no more clipped audio
WHAT "speaker mod"?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
WHAT "speaker mod"?