• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hooking up PA system, BC 980

bailagent67

I just got my PA from Amazon today. Unless I'm missing something, this thing is about as loud as a sparrow farting.

Yes, it's on PA

2 wires come off the PA ( Red and Black with red stripe).

Should the black/red just be grounded?

Or just wired straight to CB?

Any tips?

Attachments

• PXL_20240620_175943848.MP-1.jpg
    PXL_20240620_175943848.MP-1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 10

niceguy71

niceguy71

I bought a couple pa speakers in the 80's... if I remember correctly you have to see what the Ohms of your CB PA is, and kind of match it or it will not work well.... the ones I used were not terribly loud either but were ok..... I had it under the hood of a pick up and that cut the sound in half.
I had two pretty girls I worked with, that were driving in front of me on a country road and I was trying to embarrass them saying things like look at the foxes in the gold Chevy... all the cows in the fields were turning and looking at us and a couple of the cows start running along the fenced in road after my pick-up.... I always laughed at that........ I was surprised the two co workers were able to hear everything I said at 35 MPH and they were 60 plus feet in front of me.... so it may work better than you think.

slowmover

Can still get these, too (back in production). Can take awhile to mate to radio (feedback needed), but it’ll also make that underhood speaker horn pop.

SoundAlert 70W Amplified PA Speaker [120-130dB] for Truck​

You da man on a Friday afternoon at beer-thirty with an X2018 to drop your vocal register and some stadium delay as show announcer with a 70W PA to lead the way out of the employee parking lot.

Last edited:

slowmover

“ . . all the cows in the fields were turning and looking at us and a couple of the cows start running along the fenced in road after my pick-up.”

Pretty sure you’ll find a way to play this right about dusk you gitcha one. Get the steaks lined up on the way to the roadhouse:

I might just have try that next time I’m thru the Flint Hills on the Kansas Turnpike. Take a break at the Bazaar Cattle Pens with a 70W PA:

Last edited:

slowmover

Extreme 2018 Mic

This is - literally — one of the best sounding dynamic noise-cancelling microphones you can have. But it will take a good while to dial it in as it is a power mic with multiple interrelated controls.

I’d call it a necessity with a PA. Fun.

Stock upgrade mod to get it best (new default sound):

Rooster, in Tennessee with a 2018:

Whammy effects:
Xtreme 2018 Road Noise Echo Mic Demo

No one expects an RR contributor to be a goober. Clarity is a hard fight to get right, no matter the system gear. The 2018 can leverage that advantage.

Best way to work with it in a mobile is to have a second radio in the backseat. Powered up. No coax connected. Headset/Headphones to listen to yourself. Keep the power down on the system rig.

Keep notes as it doesn’t take much movement to sorta cancel patient work. Paint a dot next to control output once you and listeners are satisfied. You’ll be testing quite awhile AND over multiple attempts, solo, as well as with others.

Next up: working PA settings in the garage, near a tall concrete wall, etc. Keep notes.

Whoops,
I think a speck of goober just slipped out.

Was up in Ohio walking to the truck stop across a 100-yard parking lot one morning and remember being entertained along with others some guy with a PA and a practiced spiel to address other drivers.

It’s also practical.

Cursing in Yoruba ought to get things het up and the traffic moving.

If you can imitate one of those border station AM-Radio Mexican announcers you’ll have everyone fit to be tied.

Last edited: