horizontal omnidirectional array idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5uta

Recently I found an article titled "A new spin on the Big Wheel antenna" The article described three dipoles fed in parallel, to give an end result of a clean horizontal signal (on 2 meters) Nearly identical the the "Big Wheel" of old fame. My question is, if this works for a dipole, would it possibly work for a collinear "dipole" as well? I am curious if three sets of these antennas fed the same way would work. I am planning (unless I hear that it flat won't work) to build three 1/2 wave collinear antennas complete with 1/4 matching stubs, and coaxial balun. The antennas will be in a triangular formation 120 degrees apart, fed in parallel. Any thoughts?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Yes, it works. The horizontal dipole arrays get stacked verticaly. Spacing would be critical to the desired vertical pattern, and so would the interconecting cable harnes.

Last edited:

kc5uta

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Yeah I have seen that done for dipoles as well. I was referring to this article as the basis of the question.

Perhaps your original post wasn't very clear. I understand what the article is presenting, an array of three dipoles arranged to provide omnidirectional coverage with horizontal polarization.

Beyond that, your post wasn't really concise enough to explain what you're wanting to do.

I'm assuming you want to add horizontal arrays for additional gain. In that case, you would stack the three dipole horizontal arrays vertically, in a similar configuration as the vertical dipole arrays. The article even shows how to do that.

Last edited:

kc5uta

the area in question was the three dipoles separated only by the pvc Tees vertically ( construction technique rather than stacking for one wavelength) so they were essentially in the same plane. I was wondering if substituting phased half wave elements for the regular dipoles would make a big difference, due to the increased area 40(ish) inches vs the 6foot plus elements of a colinear....all in the same plane. (I bet THAT was as clear as mud eh : ) lol.....I am a work in progress

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I THINK I understand what you're saying. In other words, rather than using a dipole as an element of this array, the individual dipoles are collinear arrays, turned on their sides? The overall configuration would be substantially larger.

I'm not sure that would work real well. Using a well worn visual analogy, picture the radiation pattern of a dipole as a fat donut with the hole at the ends of the dipole. A collinear antenna would take that dipole, squeeze it thinner, and make it a larger diameter.

Now turn that thin donut on it's side, and phase it with two more collinear arrays. I'm thinking that you would end up with a symmetrical, but deeply scalloped horizontal pattern similar to a bug splat, but symmetrical and predictable.

I have two questions... is that what you were thinking, and why would you do this?

kc5uta

DING DING DING DING! exactly! as for the "why"? not too sure myself..... I was reading the other article and the thought occurred to me. Hmmm what if?????
I like to try to build things I guess just to see it it would work : )
Might even get some decent 2meter action on it. was just checking to see "If the juice was worth the squeeze"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.