• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Horrible Interference on repeater

jcefd10

WWG1WGA
Premium Subscriber
What was the ERP limit on the other user's license? I've seen licenses where it was less than TPO due to issues like this where the coordinator did the path loss calcs but the install crew left the transmitter at full power.

Did you run any of the coverage prediction programs on the web?
I have some sites listed here.

If anyone has some to add let me know.
Their maximum ERP is 300w.
The radio shop that maintains that system said he couldn’t believe it reached us. He said it’s just an antenna on the water tower about 100’ in the air.

I didn’t use any software, just researched everything I could on RR and the FCC site to see who within a 150 mile radius was licensed to TX on that frequency.

12dbsinad

Their maximum ERP is 300w.
The radio shop that maintains that system said he couldn’t believe it reached us. He said it’s just an antenna on the water tower about 100’ in the air.

I didn’t use any software, just researched everything I could on RR and the FCC site to see who within a 150 mile radius was licensed to TX on that frequency.
300W ERP on VHF is a lot of power. They're probably running a full 100W out of the PA, how much gain is their antenna? VHF can travel a LONG ways point-to-point.

I wonder how the metal ground plane of the water tower affects propagation, I imagine the tank is 1 or 2 VHF wavelengths in radius.
Doing the free space path loss calculation I get 124 dB loss for 155 MHz at 150 miles.
If the repeater is 100 Watts I'd estimate under 60 at the antenna for coax and other losses.

50 W is 47 dBm, 47-124 dB loss leaves a signal level of -77 dBm, about 43 dB above a -120 dBm receiver cutoff level.

lenk911

I wonder how the metal ground plane of the water tower affects propagation
In the early 1970's, when the open dipole series (DB-224-264) was developed by DB Products, there were reports of adverse downward reflections from the antenna to the tank then upward to cancel the the lower portion of main radiation lobe of the antenna. The end result was a donut pattern. Extended coverage at the horizon and above and a large cone of silence around the antenna. GE Mobile engineering cautioned against using a phased open dipole style antenna on large mushroom tanks . The colinear style (20-foot fiberglass)was recommended instead to minimize downward radiation. Check the horizontal radiation patterns of each to see why.

My first 2 way job was with a GE dealer. San Diego PD had their portables and I had a similar model. I would stop in at the Dairy Queen and get a chocolate shake about twice a week and got to know the girls behind the counter.
One day I happened to look at the price for the shake and noticed I was paying under list price, so I asked why.

"police discount" was their answer, they assumed I was a cop because I had the portable on my belt.
Another time a female cop stopped the owner and I in front of the shop and asked it we were officers, she had spotted our portables, had no clue non public safety had them too.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Humm Speedway...tell us more about getting to know the girls....just kidding.

jcefd10

WWG1WGA
Premium Subscriber
300W ERP on VHF is a lot of power. They're probably running a full 100W out of the PA, how much gain is their antenna? VHF can travel a LONG ways point-to-point.
That, I'm not sure about. He didn't go into an extreme amount of specifics.
I do konw that when we called the FD to try and get in touch with someone, the conversation went similar to this :
"This is The FD from Webster CO Ga calling because we're having radio trouble and think it's your channel that's causing the trouble". "Hold on, we're having radio trouble too, bad. Here's the CHief".

So I don't know what kind of trouble they're having, but they were saying briefly that they couldn't even talk on their own stuff half the time. They were about to take the transmitter from the water tower and build a new tower site somehwere to see if it helped.

Guess I just got lucky. :D