mikeh

i am coming to colo soon and this is the busy time of year for fire season
is the csfs very busy in fire seson .
there web site saids that they have 17 engines

and i have only freq for them of 151.340
any other freqs

any help thank you.

Moosemedic

C.S.F.S. is the Colorado State Forest Service. They are charged with extended firefighting on private land in Colorado. These are typically lands not owned by USFS or BLM, and for fires that cross a propeperty line or go past shift change. (OK that last part is a little sarcastic, but you get the idea)

They have no dedicated full time Firefighting crews. All of thier resources are "Call When Needed" (CWN) with resources placed strategically around the state.

Typical set up is a local Volunteer Department, either with a CSFS provided Engine, or thier own under contract, lead by a full time CSFS Employee. These are often available as a National Resource, and deployed as Engine Strike Teams.

They also provide Type II Handcrews, which have been known to call themselves "Hotshots" but are NOT Federally recognized Type I handcrews.

These seasonal employee's are utilized nationwide, year round, typically for 14 day deployment in the Rocky Mountain Region.

The original author of the thread is from California where CDF (some say that's for Coffee Doughnuts and Fusee's), The California Department of Forestry provides EXTENSIVE FIRE and EMS, not just limited to Wildland fires. CSFS is no where near that complex.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
lmriggs said:
I don't know what "csfs" is but there are no serious forest fires in CO at this time if thats what you meant. Perhaps this Advisory page will help.

http://www.cotrip.org/rWeather/All_Alerts_082306_094236.html

We do actually have a decent fire going but it's on the other end of the state.

The 250-acre Bitterbrush Fire, located one mile southwest of Maybell, is seen here Tuesday evening from west of Lay. The fire started at 4 p.m. because of lightning and is burning sagebrush and grass. Houses, outbuildings two underground pipelines and power lines are threatened, the Bureau of Land Management reported. No evacuations had been issued for Maybell residents as of press time Tuesday night. Six engines and a single-engine air tanker are fighting the fire, which is on BLM and Colorado state lands. Lightning also started three other small fires Tuesday afternoon -- two in Rio Blanco County's Piceance Basin, one of which is contained, and the 10-acre Slater Creek Fire, located four miles south of the Wyoming/Colorado border near Bible Back Mountain.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
lmriggs said:
OK, if a 250 acre fire is a 'decent' fire by CO standards, then count me wrong.

Actually contained today at 2,200 acres. But Red Flag Warning posted for WY, West SD & NE.

Jim<

mikeh

thank you very much so

so i am coming to colo in about too weeks
the only freq i have for CSFS is 151.340
and fren 154.265
are there any other that i sould put in scanner

thank you for your help

Moosemedic

If you really want to listen to an incident, you're looking for the National Interagency Radio Cache frequencies. Take a look in the various databases, I've seen them posted in several places. These are the one's active on a large incident, the 151.340 you mentioned is really just a crew frequency, in the Bendix King radios.

If I'm not mistaken CSFS has a DTRS talkgroup assigned, but I'll be surprised if that ever got used on a real incident.

Alos look at the "Forest" frequencies, they're often used intra-crew on an incident.

skipshark773

The CSFS have DTRS talkgrops according to the DB but I have never heard them used before. I believe that 151.340 is the old DNR TAC-2, which was reserved for CSFS. I have heard them using NIFC and FERN frequencies before too.

Status
Not open for further replies.