how good is this scanner for pima county?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookmaster

Kaitlin4599 you have asked the same Question "need help choosing a scanner" for PCWIN about 15 times or more, now it looks to me yours question was answered again and again by the same members and by new Members do you not renumber already asking the same question over and over already!!

Falcon4

What radio hardware are you using for that? RTL-SDR, or something better? Some of the cheap SDR's have very, very poor dynamic range, which means strong off-channel signals will block your reception on-channel.
I'm using a raspi 4 4gb model with the nooelec nesdr. OP25 does great with drift depending on the heat or how busy the system is. Im also using the raspian OS which runs way better than Ubuntu which 90% of the tutorials suggest. Also,I got a great antenna set from Nooelec as well. I am completely happy. Again all cost south of $150 if your interested I can pm you all the items 100% from Amazon.

ScubaJungle

If you dont want to mess with OP25, Linux,, programming, etc - just use SDRTrunk.

SDRTrunk doesnt require the whole process that OP25 does and I find that it works perfectly, and takes like 5 minutes to set up.

DanRollman

Database Admin
so im looking to purchase my firs scanner from the info i gathered tucson az is using the phase 2 pcwin located here Pima County Wireless Integrated Network (PCWIN) Trunking System, Tucson, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies

what scanner would you recommend that isnt to expensive dont wanna spend 800+ on a scanner

Let's cut this short:

Here are a couple of the other recent threads where you've asked this same question. The question hasn't changed, so the answers haven't changed either.

Falcon4

Let's cut this short:

Here are a couple of the other recent threads where you've asked this same question. The question hasn't changed, so the answers haven't changed either.
In defense let's just say our community might be older than most. In some forums I would consider this an issue but not this one.

mesocyclone

If you dont want to mess with OP25, Linux,, programming, etc - just use SDRTrunk.

SDRTrunk doesnt require the whole process that OP25 does and I find that it works perfectly, and takes like 5 minutes to set up.

Interesting, I may try it. But, I don't know if it will run on a RasPi - they are not very fast, although the 4 is getting better.

mesocyclone

I'm using a raspi 4 4gb model with the nooelec nesdr. OP25 does great with drift depending on the heat or how busy the system is. Im also using the raspian OS which runs way better than Ubuntu which 90% of the tutorials suggest. Also,I got a great antenna set from Nooelec as well. I am completely happy. Again all cost south of $150 if your interested I can pm you all the items 100% from Amazon.
Appreciate the info. I have all of the hardware already, including running raspian on my raspi. I haven't tried OP25 or SDRTrunk on there.

That NESDR most like does have those dynamic range issues I mentioned - strong off channel (even out of band) signals block reception of weaker in-channel signals. I've measured that effect on my test equipment on that class of SDR, although I don't remember if I did it on the nooelec brand or the RTL-SDR dongle. Still, if it works, it works :)

Azgunguy

The only scanners designed to receive simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200. You would be taking a chance expecting any other scanner to work.
Thats false. I live in Phx and my 536HP is fantastic. The 996P2 is decent also (with some messing around) but my 536HP is almost as good as my SDS100 and 200.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Thats false. I live in Phx and my 536HP is fantastic. The 996P2 is decent also (with some messing around) but my 536HP is almost as good as my SDS100 and 200.

Ok, let's be more specific. The SDS100 was specifically designed to receive P25 simulcast systems with less LSM distortion than any consumer grade scanner that came before it, primarily by using SDR technology. That certainly doesn't mean that a 536 or 996 is incapable of any monitoring of P25 simulcast systems. By saying "almost as good" you seem to be admitting that your SDS100 handles this job at least somewhat better than your other scanners.

Earlier generations of scanners capable of decoding P25 systems often suffered from significant LSM distortion that caused the receiver to miss or poorly decode received transmissions some or much of the time, but not always. The SDS100 generally performs better in each of these categories than any consumer grade scanner that came before it.

That said, some people report no trouble with LSM distortion based on their location, the system they are monitoring, the particular location of towers and the specific effect of overlapping simulcast signals at their location, among other factors, even with older generations of scanners. Other people have reported significant trouble with LSM distortion on their systems of interest at their location using older scanners, but less trouble (or no trouble) using the SDS100. Still others have reported trouble using older models, and no significant improvement using an SDS100. Ironically, Phoenix is a city that seems to have a disproportionately high rate of people reporting significant LSM distortion on 536, 996P2 and other scanners that don't use SDR technology to reduce LSM distortion, and some of those people report significant improvements with the SDS100 and some do not. The point is, it varies for everyone.

But I think it is fair to say that more people report that the SDS100 performs better on P25 simulcast systems than earlier generations of P25 consumer grade scanners did, and that makes sense, since the SDS100 was in fact specifically designed by Uniden to handle P25 simulcast LSM better than the 536 and 996P2 does.

I have spent a lot of time monitoring P25 simulcast systems in Tucson, Phoenix, Atlanta, and elsewhere, and I currently do or have in the past owned a 436, 536, HP2, 996, 996P2, SDS100, Unication G5, and BKRadio KNG2-P800, among others. In my experience in all of these locations, there are three clear categories. Using descriptive words rather than any sort of numerical testing (which I haven't and can't do), in my experience (1) the 436, 536, HP2, 996, and 996P2 each did "just ok, some of the time, in some locations" on these systems, (2) the SDS100 does "much better, but not perfect, most of the time, in most locations covered by the system", and (3) the Unication G5 and KNG2-P800 perform almost flawlessly, almost all of the time, at all locations covered by the system, with a slight edge to the KNG2-P800 (which, of course, is a public safety grade radio with receiver and software decoding components on par with a Motorola APX radio).

If your 536 and 996P2 work really well for you in Phoenix, that's awesome! Just understand that you are very much in a minority. I hope you recognize just how fortunate you are to feel satisfied with your scanner monitoring experience on those scanners monitoring those systems. Most of us have suffered greatly trying to monitor systems like PCWIN, TOPAZ and RWC on those models. We've found significant improvement in experience with an SDS100, and I have found even more improvement with a Unication and a KNG2-P800. But again, everyone's experience seems to vary a bit.

KB7MIB

I've seen a 436 and a 100 running side-by-side. The 436 received half of what the 100 did. Everyone's results are going to be different, and will be highly dependent upon their location.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.