HP-1 P25 Transmissions sometimes garbled

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I figured I would post this in here because I don't believe it to be specific to the HP-1 and probably a setting that needs tweaked. I have 1 P25 system programmed (all sites with selected talk groups). Occasionally, in the middle of a transmission, one side will become garbled (literally mid-sentence) for a very short time. I know it's not encryption. Is this something that is inherent in digital systems that I should just get used to or is there a setting on either the system or talk group that I can try changing. This is my first digital scanner, so I am not well versed in all of the various troubleshooting techniques for monitoring digital systems.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Dave

Check out the Uniden forums and you will find a lot of discussion on P25 decoding issues and also Simlucast / Reception issues and possible solutions.

I have a HP-1 and a local P25 that is Simlucasted.

The three towers are less than 12 miles away and I experience the same issues in both extenal and stock antenna configurations.

A combination of things working against us most likely:

Scanner P25 Decoding system is not the best and with the Simlucast (if you have that) then it can can an additive negative impact.

To sum up some of the work-arounds (post research will shed a few more) on the HP-1:

- If you are Only scanning P25 Open the Sq all the way ( will hender other system scanning)
- Turn Off Search features
- Try a different Antenna
- Try a different location
- Ensure you do have all the Control Channels and Freqs loaded up

These efforts might or might not work in your situation and using a Yagi antenna pointed at the Strrongest Transmitter might be an option too...

Lastly, in some cases you can look at making the Sq tighter (moving to 4 or 5) and-or turning On Attentuation - sounds counter to logic, butvif you are receiving a marginal signal it might be part ofvthe issue set perhaps...

As noted lots of discusion on Uniden Post and elsewhere and such....

Let us know your findings....

Bill

dmg1969

I will look into those ideas. I use mine mainly in my vehicle, so I'm always in different locations. I do have all sites (including Simulcast) and all frequencies programmed. The signal is plenty strong. I'm almost in the heart of the coverage area when at work. Other than the occasional garble, it picks up great. I heard a great foot chase on lunch the other day. LOL! I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.