HP or 396?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

I am looking at maybe getting one of these. The main purpose will be using while mobile in my Jeep Grand Cherokee but it may also be used in the shack. Just curious which would suit the application best.

If it helps, most of my travels are with-in 30-50 miles from home but I do make a few trips a year to either Memphis or Dallas.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
In my personal opinion, you're better to get an HP, especially if you intend to travel, since the continent-wide DB is included in the radio. The benefits of the HP1 (large color display, automatic recording, database included, various utilities like Discovery Mode and Trunking Analyzers) far outweigh the negatives (larger size, not usable as a belt-clip radio) for me.

It doesn't much matter any more where you're going to use the radio, instead what you're going to do with it. If you intend to carry it around in a portable fashion, the HP1 may not be your cup of tea, because it's not exactly a hand-portable design (though it would be possible to use it as such - just not without being cumbersome). If you want to mess around discovering new frequencies and analyzing the data coming off a trunk system, the HP1 really has no rival IMO at the moment.

Both of them do the GPS switching of systems/zones quite well, with the same equipment right up to what you plug into the scanner. Even on a 50 mile trip, you will appreciate the scanner automatically adding and dropping systems/groups while you're on the move.

Basically as far as I'm concerned, the only thing that would make the HP1 unsuitable right now is the need to have a truly portable radio you can carry around in a pocket or on a belt.

bolsen

I have a 396 and a older 780. Am trying to decide for the desk a HP or the 996. Which one would you guys get. Any feed back would be great.

rwier

I have a 396 and a older 780. Am trying to decide for the desk a HP or the 996. Which one would you guys get. Any feed back would be great.

No one has stated t or xt. Is xt understood?

Outdoors, on a giant work bench/table amid a jungle of noise making power equipment, the strong, clear voice of my 996t has few equals in the scanner world. Indoors, the HP is more versatile, and far more fun.

Rob

ButchGone

Go with the 396xt. If you want to listen to P25 simulcast systems, the HP is deaf while mobile. Dont know why, but the HP will display the active talk groups but no audio is heard. Also, the 396xt has much louder audio. The HP needs an amplified speaker in a mobile environment. The HP is a nice step toward the future with multicolored touch screen display, but the receiver leaves much to be desired. I'm basing this on listening to 700/800 digital systems. The HP may be OK with conventional analog stuff, I don't know. The 396 is also smaller and can be hung on the dash with a mic clip.

BG..

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Simulcast systems are a concern if you are in one of the few areas where those type of system exist. Uniden scanners have issues with those systems, but if you aren't going to monitor one, the issue is transparent.

My car has serious road noise and topping off the volume at max level on the HP1 works just fine except for the quietest P25 (digital) audio. In my car with a mobile antenna, I can get systems 100+ miles away, so reception is not at all an issue. (If you're referring to a simulcast system, that's probably why you're getting issues - the only 'active talk group without audio' I get are encrypted talkgroups hit upon during ID search.)

steveh552

I know wrong forum, but since I am the OP, what are the thoughts on the radio shack mobile? They have them for $299 reconditioned. I too am thinking about the 396, I will more than likely use what ever scanner I get for digital and trunked stuff only since my ham radio will scan the conventional.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Buy a HP-1 You will be very happy.

I belive the 396xt is just about due for a replacement .

steveh552

update

I picked up a HP1 at Universal Radio today, they had just taken it on on trade and it was $319, I went ahead and bought the GPS for it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.