HPD Data Field Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalphHolden

Does someone have the file structure & field definitions for HPD files?
I have a lot of data that I plan to format using a spreadsheet & then save to an HPD file for HP436/536.
I've attached a screen shot of a sample file.

Attachments

• HPD.jpg
    HPD.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 361

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Forget that mess. it's not publicly documented (at least not officially).

You can create a favorites list in Sentinel, and copy & paste from Excel to Sentinel.

RalphHolden

Sentinel is fine & dandy for making simple favorite lists. What I am attempting to do is a bit beyond the capabilities of Sentinel which is why I asked for the file structure of the HPD file. My master list is derived from the FCC database. My "mess" will be all my local stuff with lat/lon entered so I can use location based scanning. It's a major pain to keep switching screens to enter coordinates.....Guess I'll have to figure this out for myself.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No it's not beyond the capabilities of Sentinel.

You have Systems and Departments in Sentinel. You enter GPS coordinates for a Department by clicking on the Department in the Favorites List editor, then going to the Location tab.

You can probably create 90+% of your favorite list by using the "Add Channels On Range" tool in Sentinel. Specify your location, the Service Types you're interested in, and a Range setting, and it will put everything that matches in the Favorites List of your choice. Generally the easiest way to use this is to have a high Range value, then manually delete anything you don't want or can't pick up. It takes less than 5 minutes total, no looking stuff up manually required unless you're monitoring some really oddball or secret squirrel stuff.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As best as I can tell, Uniden is using something like a relational database with a number of tables and master index file. I imagine that there is at least some degree of copyright stuff involved too.

I suspect that unless you are very well versed in this kind of thing, you might be taking on an awfully big project.

If it was me, I'd use the "regular" Sentinel database. Anything you might discover from FCC records that isn't there could be added as a Favorites List.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Also, most stuff in the master database is already tagged with lat/lon and service radius, specifically to enable location-based scanning. You're trying to reinvent the wheel for most stuff.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Does someone have the file structure & field definitions for HPD files?
I have a lot of data that I plan to format using a spreadsheet & then save to an HPD file for HP436/536.
I've attached a screen shot of a sample file.

File structure is plain text and tab delimited as you may know.
To discover what the field definitions are, I would change the parameters in Sentinel and then save the file then look at the file to see what changed. The field definitions are different depending on col A if it's a Conventional, Trunk,Site, C-Freq, T-Freq, etc...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Actually, HPD file is NOT plaintext. It uses some kind of compression, and you see very little English looking at it in a hex editor.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Actually, HPD file is NOT plaintext. It uses some kind of compression, and you see very little English looking at it in a hex editor.

I'm looking at E:\BCDx36HP\HPDB\s_000000.hpd and E:\BCDx36HP\favorites_lists\f_000001.hpd. Those are plain text. What files are you looking at?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

HPD files are indeed plain text. You are thinking of HPE files.

RalphHolden

As best as I can tell, Uniden is using something like a relational database with a number of tables and master index file. I imagine that there is at least some degree of copyright stuff involved too.

I suspect that unless you are very well versed in this kind of thing, you might be taking on an awfully big project.

If it was me, I'd use the "regular" Sentinel database. Anything you might discover from FCC records that isn't there could be added as a Favorites List.

What I am attempting to do is import all the non-public safety stuff that's not in RR database. I'm very well versed in relational databases, etc. This is going to be a weekend winter project consisting of all counties that are in the Charlotte region. I will tinker with it as suggested & see what changes.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Suggestion - since yo know what you are doing, use whatever DB you use- run a report as a text file and C&P into Sentinel. I'd still use Sentinel as (if memory is working )- there is a table of the favorite lists and need to keep it in sync.

I used to do a lot of Dbase and other DB, but anymore I'd be lazy and use a spreadsheet :)

FWIW - pretty sure directly creating HPD has been done as well. Way back in the early HP1 days someone did some "stuff".

Obviously Grommert at ARC is doing it.

What I am attempting to do is import all the non-public safety stuff that's not in RR database. I'm very well versed in relational databases, etc. This is going to be a weekend winter project consisting of all counties that are in the Charlotte region. I will tinker with it as suggested & see what changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.